Recommend a mod

Funeh

Hi, I am begginer KSP player (I started playing like a week ago) and I am not really oriented in a numerous number of mods.

So I would like if you could recommend me some mods which are working like some kind of unoffical patch, bug fixers, maybe some new stuff added, better UI info, parts, etc... But nothing that changes game too much. Also Id like if the mod would work with the career.

Thank you very much for info, give me anything that comes to your mind and I will look it up.

unoffical patch, bug fixers

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/97285-0-25-Stock-Bug-Fix-Modules

Also, your request is really vague. "new stuff, parts, better UI".. what new stuff? What parts do you want added? A better UI for what? Do you want fuel tanks? Antennas? Engines? Command pods? Wheels? Batteries? Structural parts? Plane propellers? Do you want more ion-like propulsion? Parts to make building stations easier? More choices for spaceplanes? A better UI for the editors? Visual enhancements like clouds? Do you want a realistic atmosphere (or not quite as rubbish, anyway)?

I'd link every single one of those, but I don't have the time. Help me help you - be a little bit more specific than "I want more parts" :)

Okay sorry, I dont want to have like 10 mods installed. I thought there would be some mods with a "general" stuff that adds a little bit of that and little bit of that /if that exists/... Not something specific hardcore. As I said I am really a beginner so I didnt really look through all parts and I wouldnt know which I would need most. Not mod that is directed to specific type of parts. I am worried to have multiple mods because I think it could make game laggy for me as Ive heard.

Maybe a little tweak for graphics would be great but nothing hardcore fancy since Im running it on 3GB ram only.

By the UI, I meant some info on the flight screen /not the map/, where you can see more details about the flight /Apoapsis, Periapsis,.../

Well, many people might disagree with me, but I find MechJeb very useful. Some people says it's just a autopilot where you do nothing but building rockets, but, the info displays about many stuff, adds a lot to your gameplay.

I'm not going to say it is more realistic, but thinking about it, when you pilot a space ship, a rocket, a space shuttle, you have a lot more then fuel consummation and a strange nav ball. You have computers aboard to give you all sorts of info. Also, after your 99999 rocket launch, it gets boring doing all things manually (you can still do it if you like it, nothing wrong about it).

If you like playing career, MechJeb will unlock certain modules when you unlock the specific tech. So at the start not everything is available to you (there's a work around it but defeats the purpose).

Mechjeb: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/12384

For career mod, not science career but full career with funds and so on you have the Stage Recover Mod. This little gem, for me, in my opinion, is great since you have to build your rockets in a way to be recoverable the best you can since you can save a lot of money by doing it. It calculates the chances for recovered parts, for example when you detach fuel thanks that get empty in your ascend using parachutes. You get a variable amount of funds less fuel spent and distance from KSC.

StageRecovery: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/86677

Toolbar plugin. This little toolbar is great, and it does add the option for you to control your mods options. It is little, can be configured any way you like. A must have IMO.

Toolbar plugin: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/60863

FinePrint Mod. It add's more missions for you to do, this mod is going to be officially implemented in beta version. At least is what I heard. You will have access to a variety of missions where you can gain more reputation, science and funds. A must have for career players. Also, depending of the mods you have installed, the missions also will vary according to it. Not all mods work this way.

FinePrint: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/88445

If you really want more realism get Life support mod, after all, Kerbals are "alive" they need food, water and O2 on the rockets.

Be aware that this mods was made to kill kerbals, so plan your rockets well.

TACLS: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/40667

I do not advise graphics mods, since they will lag you a lot, KSP is still in development and the 3gb limit is a pain in the...... Even if you have a great video card, or at least I think this way, but my video card is nothing of special (HD 7750). Players with better graphics cards can be more precise in this matter.

Personally, and of course this depends of anyone taste and anyone idea of "realism" and gaming experience, I use all of this mods, and more, but if you are starting and you are kinda newbie in the game, maybe it is best for you to learn to play and then start experimenting some mods. Mods are easy to install and uninstall, so if there is some particular mod you do not like you can just removing it.

I suggest starting playing with 1 or 2 mods, of your liking and go from there, add more mods according your needs and when KSP crashes (lol) start thinking about removing the mods that you really do not need.

Also, play 32bit KSP, since 64bit is highly unstable and even more when you add mods.

Hope this help.

Happy flying....cough cough...crashing...

hmm.. what?

:P

P.S.

There's a well-maintained list of many mods here, have a look and see if anything strikes your fancy.

What he said.

Are procedural fairings useful? I mean, is there some aerodynamics in this game? Like when I take off , would I be faster with fairings on my cargo?

Only if you installed FAR (Ferram Aerospace Research) or NEAR (Neophyte's Elementary Aerospace Research, basically FAR with a few of the more complex elements shaved off). Otherwise, since stock aero gives everything drag proportional to mass, Procedural Fairings will actually make your rockets worse. FAR/NEAR majorly changes the game: you need to figure out how to do a proper gravity turn (none of this 45 degrees at 10 km altitude business), and once you figure that out, the delta-V to get to orbit plummets*.

*If you get tired of this, I strongly recommend the 6.4x Kerbin config for Real Solar System, combined with RealFuels and the stockalike engine configs (RF helps out a bit with the vastly increased delta-V requirements).

Basic construction utilities:

RCS Build Aid

Part Angle Display

Editor Extensions

Flight utilities:

Kerbal Flight Data (lets you see speed/altitude/apoapsis/heat/etc in flight without having to switch to the map screen or clutter up your view with other mod's info windows)

Kerbal Flight Indicators (projects horizon, bearing and prograde markers into the view; means you don't have to watch the navball all the time)

Gameplay enhancers:

Ferram's Aerospace Research (realistic aerodynamics)

Deadly Reentry (reentry heating)

Fine Print (expanded contracts, soon to be stock)

Raster Prop Monitor (essential for IVA flying, makes the in-cockpit data screens work)

Demonstrating Kerbal Flight Data:

screenshot420_zpsa2157db6.jpg

Demonstrating Raster Prop Monitor:

screenshot362_zpsb9ae7ba5.png

some kind of unoffical patch, bug fixers

Well, i consider two mods essential for an "authentic space program experience" w.r.t. physics.

Deadly Reentry - adds reentry heating and burnup

Ferram Aerospace Research - fixes flight physics

Other than that it is hard to recommend something since there are mods for all sorts of things and what you'll use depends on playstyle and interest anyway. You really cannot go wrong with any of it. The quality of the mods here on the forum is generally very high :)

Edited by DaMichel

Hi can someone tell me if I have those mods correctly installed please?

Sorry for amateur picture editing...

For the most part, they'll throw up errors on load if they're mis-installed. As for the stock bug fixes, I think those are supposed to be in GameData, not in the sub-folder, but it might work either way.

One thing, though: those mods may or may not depend on Module Manager, which is a pretty common add-on to assist in loading mods. If you are having problems, there is a good chance it is due to the absence of Module Manager.

yea I dont think I can see any changes for having Toolbar and Mechjeb... :/ I will try the modulemanager then

Well, Toolbar doesn't do anything by itself: it is just a place for mod buttons to go, and MechJeb won't show itself unless you add either a MechJeb drone core (in command pods) or an AR202 case (under the Control tab) to your craft.

Kerbal alarm clock is quite good to have when you have several flight at once going different places. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/24786-0-25-0-Kerbal-Alarm-Clock-v3-0-1-0-%28Oct-26%29

Docking Port Alignment Indicator helps you with docking, which you will have to do in the future. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/43901-0-23-5-Docking-Port-Alignment-Indicator-%28Version-4-0-Updated-06-29-14%29

Can someone recommend me a mod where I could find info about my current orbit? I mean eccentricity, inclination, semi-major axis, etc ? Best when the info would be on the flight screen ?

Mechjeb gives customisable data windows that cover every piece of information that you could possibly want. Worth having even if you never use the autopilot functions. SteamGauges is also worth a look, as is VOID.

As shown above, Kerbal Flight Data presents the most important flight and orbital information in a low-clutter manner, while RPM lets you access all of that information via IVA screens.

yeh I am already using Kerbal Flight Data, that is very nice also...

I have MechJeb also, but I keep forgetting to build the MechJeb parts on my spacecraft everytime... But it is nice to know it has all this data I would like to see when in flight.. Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.