Do you like broccoli and other vegetables?

bartekkru99

broccoli is one of those veggies that is just begging to be sauced. you drench it in sauce and it can hold on to it.

This, a million times this. Today I made my aforementioned dish again and those broccoli flowers dripping with sauce are just delicious.

Oh definitely, vegetable curries are great, you can have so many different textures that way which you just can't get with meat on its own :)

With meat you even have more textures. My friends can cook lovely vegetarian dishes, but halfway through I always feel something missing. Nothing beats the texture of ground beef mixed through mashed patatoes. Maybe an onion added, some carrots, butter and some cheese on top all popped in the oven. Just lovely.

I'm still a kid (15), but I was always eating almost all the veggies. There's one thing that I don't like to eat very much - tomatoes, but only when there's no salt on them, they are okay for me I they are salted.

P.S. I'm making a crystal radio for a physics project, does anybody know, what kind of earphone I shoul use, I can't find any piezoelectric ones on Polish web-stores.

Look for something with very high impedance, 2000 ohms(Ω) or above. Also try searching for "crystal earphone", they look like this: http://www.xtalman.com/phonenoplug.JPG . If that doesn't give any results, you can try this if you can find plain piezo components in plastic housings and a pair of earmuffs: http://makearadio.com/misc-stuff/piezophones.php .

I love vegetables of most sorts. I have a very low tolerance for food; basically if it's edible I will eat it. Brussels sprouts, broccoli, spinach, kale, it's all fine in my book. I love a good salad, and it's almost always eaten when served to me.

I have the same thing - I cannot think of a food I will not eat. I have a slight dislike for cucumber, but if it is served somewhere I eat it without issue. It's not so much the taste, as it is the fact that any burp in the next two days will taste like it. I rather prefer my food to stay down and gone as soon as it's swallowed.

Oh definitely, vegetable curries are great, you can have so many different textures that way which you just can't get with meat on its own :)

:)

Incidentally, if anyone is looking for a good vegetable cookbook, try searching (on your search engine or online store of choice) for 'Veg everyday' by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall. I'm not posting a link - not sure what forum etiquette is on these matters, and this is probably enough of a plug as it is. But I can say that I've tried far more of the recipes from this book than I have from many others, and with a couple of exceptions they've been great. Even the exceptions were 'meh - doesn't taste like much more than the sum of its parts' than 'OMG - blurgggh'. :)

Look for something with very high impedance, 2000 ohms(Ω) or above. Also try searching for "crystal earphone", they look like this: http://www.xtalman.com/phonenoplug.JPG . If that doesn't give any results, you can try this if you can find plain piezo components in plastic housings and a pair of earmuffs: http://makearadio.com/misc-stuff/piezophones.php .

I know, that those piezoelectric are good, but it seems like I can't really find those in Poland and I don't want to pay to much for transport from other countries.

I know, that those piezoelectric are good, but it seems like I can't really find those in Poland and I don't want to pay to much for transport from other countries.

You might be able to try the speaker from an old (1940s-50s) telephone if you have one laying around and can have a very long antenna. The only other thing I can think of is adding an amplifier (Be extra careful with mains-powered ones, battery powered would be safest and most portable), hooking it up to where your earphone would go and putting a resistor between the two terminals, like this:

Antenna<<______________>>>Amp

Resistor>>>>>|

Resistor>>>>>|

Resistor>>>>>|

Ground<<____|___________>>>Amp

I don't really know why you need the resistor, but every crystal radio website I've been to says to put a resistor between the two sound terminals if you're using an amplifier. I'm guessing the signal from the amplifier might want to try to go back out through the diode and destroy any sound signal that comes from the diode, but I don't know. All I know is you need a resistor. Experiment with the value of the resistor to see what resistance works best with your amplifier and the stations in your area. If you have any scrap electronics laying around, you can probably grab a resistor out of them.

Absolutely love veggies. Raw, cooked all good. It's weird, as a child they made me gag.

I read some time ago, that children lack something for them to appreciate the taste of certain vegtables - making them eat it anyway is a sure way to make them dislike it up until old age.

Can't live on meat and fat alone. Well, you can, but don't expect to thrive.

It works both ways, a mixed diet is preferable.

Although you can reduce meat to a minimum, yet you have to be thoughtful to replace its nutrients sufficiently with the right veggies.

• 4 years later...

I actually don't mind Brussels sprouts, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them. Broccoli is just a new level of terrible. The taste, texture, smell and probably sound of it is all repulsive.

Edited by RishabhEG
needed to provide some source.

On 10/31/2014 at 5:10 PM, sal_vager said:

Most people grow to dislike vegetables thanks to having them poorly cooked throughout their youth, but most veggies can be wonderful when shallow fried with bacon, roasted or baked with cheese :)

Yes... the awesome power of cheese and bacon to make anything taste good.

Personally I like pretty much all vegetables, with only zucchini being something I'm not keen on. I like sauces on vegetables, but mostly I just steam them to cook, without any kind of sauce specially for them... maybe with a bit of butter.

4 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

reeeee necroposting 

Necroposting isn't necessarily a bad thing. According to the forum guidelines:

2.4 Necroposting and Necromoaning

1. Posting in a thread that has not received a new message in a long period is known as “necroposting". Necroposting is generally frowned upon but not forbidden provided that your post does not break the other rules. These threads may be closed at the discretion of the staff;

The two forum members who posted above your post did not violate this forum rule because their posts did not break other forum rules. So, as long as their posts are within the spirit of the OP AND are within the remaining forum rules, there's no issue.

On 8/23/2019 at 5:11 AM, RishabhEG said:

I actually don't mind Brussels sprouts, but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat them. Broccoli is just a new level of terrible. The taste, texture, smell and probably sound of it is all repulsive.

Wow, you're hating on broccoli? There are a lot worse vegetables out there than broccoli. I have a strong dislike (oh, okay, HATRED) of lima beans. They are about the only vegetable I cannot stand even to smell of them cooking...

11 hours ago, purpleivan said:

Yes... the awesome power of cheese and bacon to make anything taste good.

Personally I like pretty much all vegetables, with only zucchini being something I'm not keen on. I like sauces on vegetables, but mostly I just steam them to cook, without any kind of sauce specially for them... maybe with a bit of butter.

Zucchini is best in recipes where it can be eaten raw. It has a natural nice and sweet flavor. And to your other point, toasted almonds added to butter can make any vegetable, especially Brussels sprouts and asparagus.

Cheese and bacon do help other vegetables. For a variety, play with different cheeses. For many people, cheddar and American are the two "go to" cheeses for making a cheese based sauce. But you can change the flavor greatly by using cheeses such as Parmesan, Swiss, or even provolone.

29 minutes ago, adsii1970 said:

Necroposting isn't necessarily a bad thing. According to the forum guidelines:

2.4 Necroposting and Necromoaning

1. Posting in a thread that has not received a new message in a long period is known as “necroposting". Necroposting is generally frowned upon but not forbidden provided that your post does not break the other rules. These threads may be closed at the discretion of the staff;

The two forum members who posted above your post did not violate this forum rule because their posts did not break other forum rules. So, as long as their posts are within the spirit of the OP AND are within the remaining forum rules, there's no issue.

i actually think its better to keep old threads than create new ones if they manage to stay on topic. of course there are pros and cons to both.

though i do scratch my head sometimes as to how people can dig so deep as to find such threads in order to reply to them. maybe they are checking if their topic exists before posting a new one. but if you are actively digging through old posts to find something to reply to then maybe that time could be used better elsewhere. 

11 minutes ago, Nuke said:

i actually think its better to keep old threads than create new ones if they manage to stay on topic. of course there are pros and cons to both.

I believe that is the spirit behind the forum rule about necroposting.

12 minutes ago, Nuke said:

though i do scratch my head sometimes as to how people can dig so deep as to find such threads in order to reply to them. maybe they are checking if their topic exists before posting a new one. but if you are actively digging through old posts to find something to reply to then maybe that time could be used better elsewhere.

They could be just "title reading" and simply find the subject interesting. Back when I first joined the forum, I'd find posts a bit older but that had caught my interest. I would post without paying attention to the date of the OP. The way I see it, to each his/her own, as long as the forum rules are being followed.

And now, we need to keep the thread focused on which vegetables folks eat, eat begrudgingly, or simply hate. :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.