Do you like broccoli and other vegetables?

bartekkru99

Vegetables are good. Asparagus, green beans, corn, potatoes, bell peppers of all colors, carrots, cucumbers, broccoli, sprouts, spinach, rutabaga, squash, zucchini, lettuce, cabbage, beets, onions, celery, okra, corn, artichokes, sweet potatoes, radishes... All delicious.

Roasted, boiled, steamed, sauteed, fried, grilled, raw, doesn't really matter.

Tomatoes, on the other hand, are A: not a vegetable, and B: completely terrible. I don't understand how people eat them.

EDIT: Also, pickles are nasty. All kinds.

Edited by IncongruousGoat

a tomato can take on a wide variety of flavors when cooked in various ways, granted they arent my favorite, but they do find a way into a lot of the sauces i use. like the thick as mud bbq sauce i use on my ribs. when i do my spaghetti and meatballs i do this thing where i let the bottom of the pan scorch a little, gives it a whole other dimension of flavor. i cook my meatballs in the sauce. a lot of people fry them in oil or bake them and then add them to the sauce. totally unnecessary steps as tomato sauces tend to have good thermal conductivity and can store a lot of heat. as anyone who has been splattered with the stuff knows its like napalm. the drippings also mingle with the sauce and add flavor. some question the food safety of this practice, when in doubt use your thermometer, but i find cook time of 30 minutes never fails to get them to temperature. 

Edited by Nuke

On 8/24/2019 at 10:02 PM, IncongruousGoat said:

Tomatoes, on the other hand, are A: not a vegetable, and B: completely terrible. I don't understand how people eat them.

You should try tomatoes directly off the plant. I don't know if you'll like it any more, but they are considerably more tasty when they go plant -> hand -> mouth than any other way. Especially the little red and orange cherry tomatoes.

1 minute ago, cubinator said:

You should try tomatoes directly off the plant. I don't know if you'll like it any more, but they are considerably more tasty when they go plant -> hand -> mouth than any other way. Especially the little red and orange cherry tomatoes.

Unfortunately, the one time I tried that (with a cherry tomato, no less) put raw tomatoes at the top of my list of "things I horribly regret ever trying to eat". It was nasty in a way I almost can't describe.

1 minute ago, IncongruousGoat said:

Unfortunately, the one time I tried that (with a cherry tomato, no less) put raw tomatoes at the top of my list of "things I horribly regret ever trying to eat". It was nasty in a way I almost can't describe.

I see. Well, more left for me then!

39 minutes ago, cubinator said:

I see. Well, more left for me then!

Damn straight!

I love fresh, ripe tomatoes!  The ones you get from the store are horrible, waxy, flavorless things.  Real garden or farmer's market tomatoes are absolute heaven!

I really like broccoli, especially when it is roasted in the oven with Olive oil, red pepper flakes, garlic and either Balsamic or Sherry vinegar. Although I also like eating it raw in a salad or on its own. But my favorite way I have enjoyed it prepared was in a small Korean joint back when I was living in Iowa, what they did was I think either they stir-fried it or they marinated it with soy sauce, possibly rice wine, sesame oil, sesame seeds, red pepper flakes, garlic and tofu, which they served cold.

Of course coming from Ohio originally I really like tomatoes, especially in the Insalata Caprese, which combines three of my favorite ingredients with olive oil, fresh tomato, fresh basil (Which I grow on a planter on my deck) and fresh mozzarella all topped with Extra Virgin Olive Oil. and usually I have some left over basil which I make into pesto. 

Although my favorite vegetable is definitely Green Beans which I enjoy served by being lightly simmered in water, served with coarse sea salt, butter and copious amounts fresh cracked black pepper. As for the canned ones I like putting some parmesan cheese on it which cancels out some of the flavor of the brine they were canned with. 

On 8/29/2019 at 9:24 PM, cubinator said:

Absolutely the best.  When I was a kid, we had anywhere between a dozen and twenty tomato plants in the garden.  Late summer, we'd pick huge bowls of tomatoes every day, and quite a few of them wouldn't even make it inside.  Most of the plants were cherry tomatoes, but we had some beefsteaks too.  We ate those like they were apples.

On 8/29/2019 at 9:27 PM, IncongruousGoat said:

Was... was it yellow?   ....ooorrr possibly green?

Edited by Geonovast

Only once have a met a brussel sprout I didn’t mind eating. I’m guessing it was lightly cooked, and then it was definitely drowned in heavily salted butter. Otherwise, just the smell is enough to make me pass. 

And I’ll repeat, broccoli is good as long as it’s not overcooked. Steamed just until bright green, and maybe a minute more, is best. Sour cream, cheese sauce, or even just butter and salt, make it delicious. And even raw is good, dipped in sour cream or ranch dressing 

On 9/4/2019 at 2:34 PM, Geonovast said:

Was... was it yellow?   ....ooorrr possibly green?

Nope. It was red.

On 9/4/2019 at 2:32 PM, Starhawk said:

...but brussel sprouts are inedible in my experience.

That would be because you've never had them done right. Roasting is the trick. Some salt, some pepper and a little olive oil at 400 F for 30-40 minutes works well. If that doesn't do it, the same plus bacon should do the trick. Bacon can redeem many, many things.

Dangit, now I want sprouts. And, conveniently, I've got some in the fridge that need using up. Hmmm...

Edited by IncongruousGoat

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, The Dunatian said:

That's the trouble with these unusual vegetable recipes. They're "ok" but they certainly aren't great.

This is true. I've never cooked or eaten spaghetti squash, so it was a completely new experience for me. The one recipe we tried called for lightly coating the squash in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, and grated Parmesan. It was good, but for me, it needed more flavor.

There are some recipes by some of the FoodTV channel which stated spaghetti squash needed some sort of sauce - and I think the next time I try spaghetti sauce, I want to try one of those. Don't get me wrong, it didn't have a bad flavor, it just needed more (and remember, I am from Louisiana; bland food and Styrofoam are nearly the same). :D

17 minutes ago, razark said:

How does it compare to a real burger?

I'm not sure it would be a fair comparison, since it wasn't one of the ones that's meant to mimic the texture and taste of beef.  It was more like eating a side salad that had been ground up and pressed into a patty.

My brother told me he tried an impossible burger lately, and he was impressed that it tasted just like a real burger.  But not.. a good burger.  Like one made with old, cheap beef.  So I'm not sure I'll be trying any of those any time soon.  If I want a burger that tastes like beef... I'll just eat a real one.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.