Do you still use Asparagus?

heng

I used it for basically everything I ever put into orbit prior to 0.25... but now - playing exclusively in career mode - I have yet to build one. SRB for the win, because... cheaper and stuff. Am I alone? Am I doing something wrong? Do you have a better way?

just curious

Bonus Question: plural... Asparagi? Asparaguses? Bsparagus?

edit:

Ohhhkay... 9 pages and the vote seems to be

No 34

Yes 22

Rarely 21

Sorry for manual count, still new here, don't know how to post a poll

Edited by heng

I used it for basically everything I ever put into orbit prior to 0.25... but now - playing exclusively in career mode - I have yet to build one. SRB for the win, because... cheaper and stuff. Am I alone? Am I doing something wrong? Do you have a better way?

just curious

Bonus Question: plural... Asparagi? Asparaguses? Bsparagus?

I use FAR, so no. 95% of the time my payload isn't big enough to warrant the difficulty steering such a rocket. More realistic rockets work better. If I need more power, a couple of SRB's are enough.

Bonus: When talking of the vegetable the plural is "Stalks of Asparagus" or "Asparagus Stalks". By that token "Asparagus Stages" would probably be best. If all else fails, use the singular as the plural as well.

Edited by Alshain

I've rarely used it for launchers at all. I've never met anything I couldn't launch from Kerbin with simpler staging methods. Asparagus proliferates part count giving less payload per part, adds a lot of complication to the build, and proliferates hazardous staging events.

When I wanted a crazy amount of delta-V on a transfer stage, then it became essential.

I haven't really used interstage fuel lines since my big Eve mission in May, because the massless fuel lines don't feel reasonable. Most of my rockets have two vertical stages and a few boosters around the central stack.

I use it all the time except on basic launches, like sending one thing to the space station or a simple orbiter. My career mode space station was built using parts that were carried into space with asparagus rockets. I don't pancake them though, one layer of either six or eight radial rockets depending on needs. I think making ridiculously un-aerodynamic rockets in anything other than just playing around in sandbox is an exploit... (Not that I have ever used an exploit or anything... like my infinite free cash orbital satellite network.)

Eve landers is obviously Asparagus, for others I have not seen any reason to go past crossfeed: core and two liquid boosters.

ARM parts including the new SRB made it pretty redundant, three 24x4 and say 8 SRB can lift some serious payload.

Yes, but I don't do full blown asparagus in career mode anymore. Now I'll usually only do 2-radial tanks rather than the classic six.

Between funds and the expense of a failure, it's just not worth it most of the time.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.