SpaceShipTwo Crash

Mr Shifty

There are reports that SS2 suffered an in-flight anomaly during a test flight just now. Twitter reports pilots on chutes, one recovered, one still outstanding.

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/virgin-voyage/virgin-galactics-spaceshiptwo-suffers-flight-anomaly-n238376

Edited by Mr Shifty

The spacecraft took off at 9:19 a.m. PDT (12:19 p.m. EDT; 1619 GMT) from the Mojave Air and Space Port in California. The takeoff was delayed more than three hours to wait for bad weather to clear the area.

I confirm. I'm following the story on Twitter too (@b0yle)

Can you please post your source Kryten.

People reposing county police scanner reports here; too many old members posting the same stuff for there to be any doubt, I'm afraid.

We now have confirmation of a third person; @spacecom (Doug Messier, extremely reliable) saw somebody still strapped in their seat, so that must have been the second parachutist. Unclear if they're the person already reported as dead, or if they're still to be found.

VG just released a statement saying the status of the pilots is unknown:

http://www.virgingalactic.com/news/item/statement-from-virgin-galactic/

Virgin Galactic’s partner Scaled Composites conducted a powered test flight of SpaceShipTwo earlier today. During the test, the vehicle suffered a serious anomaly resulting in the loss of the vehicle. Our first concern is the status of the pilots, which is unknown at this time. We will work closely with the relevant authorities to determine the cause of the accident and provide updates as soon as we are able to do so.

Uh oh, I hope they're wrong, but one news station is reporting one fatality based on scanner traffic:

http://www.kerngoldenempire.com/news/local/story/d/story/spaceshiptwo-crashes-shortly-after-mojave-test-fli/11401/64VdLqg21EWpK1vuptvTsg

Official press conference is soon, so I hope there will be some good news instead.

Edited by VirtualCLD

Uh oh, that's pretty bad, I hope the other pilot is fine. This has been a bad week for private space industry for sure.

Yeah, absolutely brutal :( Just a reminder of how dangerous and volatile rocket propulsion can be ... some day humanity will look back and say "remember when we used to ride fireballs into orbit?! that was INSANE!"

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.