[0.25] TT's SPP MK2 Nose - Pointy front for your Spaceplane!

TouhouTorpedo

Very simple quick mod I made messing around today. Apparently some people have wanted something like this, so here it is. A MK2 pointed nosecone.

EDIT : Now with corrected shader set up provided by PorkJet!

fqcnt4S.png

Click the picture above or the link below to get it!

https://kerbalstuff.com/mod/308/TT%20SSP%20MK2%20Nose

I've put some fuel in there equivalent to the MK2 short fuselage, it's got a higher drymass, but the drag figures for the cockpit its based on are lower than most parts anyway.

Any thoughts let me know. Either way, enjoy it.

Thanks to PorkJet for the shader settings, Taniwha for help with the mu importer/exporter and Krupski for making the MBM to PNG converter.

Edited by TouhouTorpedo

Porkjet took an interest, and thanks to his help this mod now has the correct specular values and light reflecting will appear correctly compared to other spaceplaneplus parts.

rR720nK.png

The new version 0.2 has this change. It's also had a minor change that makes the flag decal invisible in the parts catalogue (as it'd just show as a blank flag anyway) You don't need to update, it's just cosmetic.

Also, I realised I wrote SSP instead of SPP in the title. Oh well, can't change it now on KerbalStuff lol.

is anybody else having problems with downloading it?

If you're running a mac, then you need a third party unzipping program like Stuffit. The built in one on macs has had problems with my mods before, and I think it's because I use winRAR, but I'm not planning to change it since you'll run into this problem again for something else if thats the case.

This is certainly a nice idea, but the part description needs work, and the png textures get pixilated by ATM, they need to be switched out with mbm texture files. the ones from the SP+ standard cone cockpit seem to work just fine. Also, could you make a version that has all the stock sensor experiments, (seismo, grav, therm, barom) and the atmosphere analysis experiment instead of the fuel?

Any thoughts on making versions with different stuff in them, like one with monopropellant or just LF? Maybe an instrumented version, or one with built in RCS thrusters? I have a pretty solid grasp of the code necessary to do the tank mods, but the models would all look the same, and I wouldn't know where to start on experiments or RCS jets.

LOL, looks like stryth ninja'd me with a similar suggestion.

I'm running into a weird issue on the archive. Take a look here:

TIz1KsY.png

Might I recommend using 7zip to create your archives. It tends to have the best compression of any archiver, and makes far more reliable archives. For Linux there is a command line version used by most of the current archive management utilities, and on Windows and Mac they ship a full GUI.

Edited by Ruedii
Suggesting 7zip.

For people having unzipping problems I'll need to know the program you're using and the platform.

I've just had a friend of mine who is a mac user use both WinZIP and iZip on the file and had no problems at all. (He recommends WinZIP as the better program though)

Very nice! And very useful too.

What was that specular values you mentioned?

I'm currently working on some SPP parts too, but the "rear" ones:

screenshot4.jpg

It's Mk2 Tricoupler and Mk2 Quintcoupler. Still without a proper collider though.

BTW, about noses. Both shorter nose and nose with inbuilt air intakes would be welcome.

Edited by Dr. Jet

Just to add to the discussion about unpacking this part: As an OSX user, my rig wants to use Archive Utility to unpack it by default. The progress bar immediately fills up and the application locks up. I have to force Archive Utility to close and nothing gets unpacked.

StuffIt Expander seems to have worked fine though.

You're copying the existing Squad/SPP textures, right? You may as well NOT copy them, but use a config workaround. It should save the memory.

MODEL
{
model = TouhouTorpedo/TTSPPnose/model
texture = placeholder_file , Squad/SPP/Mk2CockpitStandard/Cockpit
texture = placeholder_file , Squad/SPP/Mk2CockpitStandard/Cockpit_NRM
}

Attention! When using such config, you'll need an actual placeholder texture file(s) to be in the same folder. Otherwise game engine will produce an error and won't use any textures specified. Minimal 64x64 pixel single color PNG (1kb size) is OK.

Edited by Dr. Jet

You're copying the existing SPP textures, right? I'm stuck with exactly the same decision for now - having to copy texture to make it work.

I tried to use stock texture as external through config:

MODEL
{
model = ChopShop/Structural/SPP/quint
texture = mk2adapters1m , Squad/SPP/Mk2Adapters/mk2adapters1m
}

But it failed for some unknown reason.

Try the cockpit texture. That's the wrong one. Although the cockpit may fail too since it includes an illumination texture, which this doesn't.

Btw love the MK2 to 1.25m + x2 0.625m adapter. That's pretty much what I was planning to make when I started doing this, then changed my mind and made the nosecone. I've sent you a PM on the shader.

You're copying the existing SPP textures, right? I'm stuck with exactly the same decision for now - having to copy texture to make it work.

I tried to use stock texture as external through config:

MODEL
{
model = ChopShop/Structural/SPP/quint
texture = mk2adapters1m , Squad/SPP/Mk2Adapters/mk2adapters1m
}

But it failed for some unknown reason.

You'll want your folder to load after the Squad folder, so best have the folder in GameData start with a letter after S (or Sq).

@TouhouTorped,

The nose looks great. Don't suppose you'd be able to share the shader settings for it?

Edited by Lack

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.