[WIP] KSS Asimov - A spaceship pack - Update 0.1.2 (11/17/2016) [KSP 1.2.1]

v1per

FQ5xAku.jpg

Click here for more screenshots!

Review by Kottabos:

0.1.2 Update

Alternate texture is now changeable ingame (Thanks Vrana!). This requires Firespitter which is NOT included. Changed the tech requirement for the fuel tank. Only download this if you want the changeable texture.

Download Link: Github

Have fun, and let me know any issues you might have here in this thread. 

License: All rights reserved.

====================================

Original Post:

Spoiler

Hello folks. I've been registered for a while here, played the game for a longer time, and have enjoyed the many mods the community has to offer. Recently, I started to think about doing something myself and I considered some kind of plugin, but A) most of the stuff I want in the game already exists in some shape or form, and &) that would mean more coding for me, which is actually what I do for a living, so I decided to settle on parts instead.

And in that vein, one of the things that always bothered me in the game is that some of the craft I built whose purpose was to stay operational for a long time, they always looked kinda crazy. Each part would be modeled or textured in a different way than the other and it just looked weird. So I started sketching some stuff and came up with this:

[image removed]

And some images of the whole thing assembled:

[image removed]

So that's what I came up with so far. Each thing is self explanatory I believe, but just to paint a better picture:

• Command Module: Holds 4 kerbals. Still deciding on that though. The idea, is to be relatively light and with a larger capacity than other pods, but it's node made for re-entry and landing.
  • Living Module: For now, it holds 2 kerbals and nothing else. And argument could be made to hold 4 as well, since the diameter is quite a bit larger than 2.5. I built this with the intention of having it help with Sanity and Fitness mods in the future.
  • Service Module: For the stock game it holds a large amount Electric Charge. If you use any sort of Life Support mod, than it would hold a fairly good amount of the resources needed, though don't know yet the exact amounts. For now, since I play with TAC LS, it has Oxygen, Water and Food.
  • Reaction Wheels: This is something that I always figured would be good, have your reaction wheels also carry some mono prop. Saves up on extra tanks around the craft.
  • Fuel Tank: Holds a good amount of Liquid Fuel and Oxidizer. Right now at ~33 tons and with the Poodle Engine, I get about ~3600 Delta-V out of these. I have designs to build different sizes, and tanks for other fuels as well. For instance, I want to do something with Karborundum.

I also have an engine design in the works, and I also want to do some solar panels to compliment it.

So, what do you guys think? Would like to hear your thoughts and ideas and also know the interest in something like this. If there's interest in space ship packs like these, I have more ideas for the future like LKO transports, cargo resupply ships and so on.

Edited by v1per

If the command pod isn't designed for reentry, why is it streamlined? Why not something with big windows to facilitate IVA views?

I don't think anything meant for space requires large windows. The only thing that has them on the ISS is the cuppola and that is pretty much a luxery. For pretty much all practical reasons you want minimal windows.

Looks nice, but a suggestion:

If the command pod isn't designed for reentry, why is it streamlined? Why not something with big windows to facilitate IVA views?

The pod still has to be put in orbit though. The way I designed it, putting the whole ship in orbit with FAR is pretty simple. Also, there's an aesthetic consideration to it. The window design was inspired by the NASA warp ship concept for instance. But, I wouldn't mind designing something different as a second ship :)

I LIKE!

Also, will it have an AVI (in both the living and command modules)? Will you design a custom engine for it?

Will it come with space-fries?

I intend to do an IVA, yes, for both modules. But I only started trying this mod stuff the past week, so I have a lot to learn in terms of setting up those things an so on. I'm already working on an engine for it as well, but only have a rough shape so far. Also, there's a ton of texture work to be done. I want to have hatches connecting the parts for instance, so that it at least looks like crew can go from one part to the next :D

As for space fries...I'll make a note :cool:

Edited by v1per

No, they're NearFuture. As for the ship, amazing work. :) Reminds me of the classic SF rocketships.

My suggestions would be:

A custom nuclear engine, perhaps a dual-mode one (like the LANTR).

A cargo bay.

Custom, more powerful RCS block.

Perhaps a new, larger fuel tank with a powerful propulsion system, sufficient for orbiting a (small-ish) version of the ship.

Wow, thanks for the positive response :) There's some stuff I want to do texture wise, before I release a preview of this. Mostly, I want to add some hatch textures to connect one piece to the next, just to polish it up. I'll try and have this done today, or tomorrow at the latest.

Are these solar panels from your pack too?

No, as mentioned before, those are from NearFuture, though it's on my plans to design my own panels to go with it. I wanted to show that the ship plays well with other parts. In addition to those, I have some Universal Storage components there and Aviation Lights.

No, they're NearFuture. As for the ship, amazing work. :) Reminds me of the classic SF rocketships.

My suggestions would be:

A custom nuclear engine, perhaps a dual-mode one (like the LANTR).

A cargo bay.

Custom, more powerful RCS block.

Perhaps a new, larger fuel tank with a powerful propulsion system, sufficient for orbiting a (small-ish) version of the ship.

1 - Not a bad idea. Though I definitely want a regular one as well so that it becomes available earlier in the tech tree.

2 - I am thinking of a cargo bay as well, but I need to think how to do it. I don't want the ship to become larger than it already is.

3 - On plan.

4 - A larger fuel tank? :sealed: This one is already pretty big. I don't have the numbers with me, but I think at least 4.5m long. Anyway, I have a design for a small orbital ship, to ferry things within LKO up to Geostationary.

*applause* i applaud you sir for increasing my collection of parts just as i installed 32-bit after being finished with 64-bit :)

These are amazing parts and i am going to put placeholders IVAs for my own use (such as one of porkjet's inflatable habs for the crew module and the KSO Super 25 cockpit for the cockpit)

Ok, so I spent the last couple of hours cooking up a hatch texture, but none of the ones I tried looked good. So, I decided to go the easy route and use the texture from the game. But, it was terribly low resolution, so I did my own version in 1024x1024. Here's the result:

Cn5unD2.jpg

And for some answers:

I think a small cargo bay about the size of the service module would be good for small manned maneuvering units. I like the sound of the idea for the small orbital ferry you mentioned.

Cool, I'll think of something for that.

These parts look nice but as is par for the course with KSP modders those window do not seem very practical. You should either design them for high visibility like on the space shuttle, or more strategic, like the CM on Apollo.

I understand what you are saying. I can't deny I went a little bit scifi with this one. If you have a good suggestion for something more realistic, I wouldn't mind doing a separate set of textures for that to see how it looks. That said, these windows should provide a good view in front of the Kerbals once in IVA.

*applause* i applaud you sir for increasing my collection of parts just as i installed 32-bit after being finished with 64-bit :)

These are amazing parts and i am going to put placeholders IVAs for my own use (such as one of porkjet's inflatable habs for the crew module and the KSO Super 25 cockpit for the cockpit)

ROFL, glad I could be of help.

Edited by v1per

Looks perfect as is. The only things I could suggest is an opening cargo bay and maybe a greenhouse, science bay?

Greenhouse would be great for TAC! A way to produce oxygen and food for long journeys without strapping on horrible TAC cans to this beautiful spacecraft.

It looks Awesome!

Now, I don't want to discourage you, but lower resolution textures are important to those of us who have ... well... less potent machines.

(...Like my self - a 4GB i3 core with an AMD 7790)

Oh, don't worry. The final textures are 1024x1024, and emissives are 512x512. If you have a lot of trouble with that, 512 might look ok. But, when creating textures, it's best to start big and scale down later so that you have room to work with :) So in the case of the hatch textures, I made it big so that I can re-use it later on other parts.

Looks perfect as is. The only things I could suggest is an opening cargo bay and maybe a greenhouse, science bay?

I'll keep those suggestions in mind :)

Greenhouse would be great for TAC! A way to produce oxygen and food for long journeys without strapping on horrible TAC cans to this beautiful spacecraft.

Noted. Though, that's what the service module is there for. Granted you can't produce more resources, but it should be enough for most cases.

Edited by v1per

Oh, don't worry. The final textures are 1024x1024, and emissives are 512x512. If you have a lot of trouble with that, 512 might look ok. But, when creating textures, it's best to start big and scale down later so that you have room to work with :) So in the case of the hatch textures, I made it big so that I can re-use it later on other parts.

Wouldn't it make sense to keep the emitting meshes as separate objects with their own small textures for everything? That way you don't waste memory on emissive textures which are mostly black.

For example this landing gear has a light that's also emissive. It has two 1282 textures (colour and emissive). All the other meshes have their own regular 20482 texture sheets.

Another upside is you can keep the pixel density the same everywhere.

wkrnHZd.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.