[WIP] KSS Asimov - A spaceship pack - Update 0.1.2 (11/17/2016) [KSP 1.2.1]

v1per

Ok, so I spent the last hour making sure the engine was working correctly and I also added the fairings in, and those also work. So, bar any complications, I'll spend the afternoon texturing the engine and the adapter plate. Hopefully, I can release this on Sunday. But no promises. And some answers:

@mrmcp1: Not yet. I should have those later today (already saturday for me). I was first getting the whole thing in game and making sure I could make everything work. Most of the tutorials aren't very clear, but the process is actually really simple, which bodes well...means I can do more of these pretty quickly :) I might move into that nuclear engine sooner rather than later.

@sp1989: Thanks :) Always high praise to be compared to Star Trek, being a big trek fan myself.

Looks cool- Although if you have a single flame that big, I would have expected a single nozzle, but that's just me.

Oh, and PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE use hotrockets for an emissive flame!

Actually, I was testing the regular sized FX node there, and it ended up looking too big. There are 7 emitters there, one for each nozzle. So don't worry.

As for hotrockets, if making a module manager config for that is simple, I might have it up in the first release of the engine. If not, later on I'll add it. I'm tempted to do my own FX later on though...I have a very clear idea on what I'd like the engine flames to look like eventually :)

Some Real Fuels configs. (made the tank type Cryogenic to facilitate nuclear fuels)

@PART[asimovfueltank]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 18000
type = Cryogenic
}
}
@PART[asimov_reactionwheels]:NEEDS[RealFuels]:AFTER[RealFuels]
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleFuelTanks
volume = 750
type = RCS
}
}

Hey folks, been kinda busy the past few days, so very little work done. I finished the UV maps for the new parts, but haven't started to texture yet. In fact I haven't even played any games this week. Hopefully this weekend I'll actually get to finish those parts. I also started working some configs, because there's a list of mods I want to support out of the box, but again, nothing done yet. I should have more soonâ„¢ :)

Hey folks, been kinda busy the past few days, so very little work done. I finished the UV maps for the new parts, but haven't started to texture yet. In fact I haven't even played any games this week. Hopefully this weekend I'll actually get to finish those parts. I also started working some configs, because there's a list of mods I want to support out of the box, but again, nothing done yet. I should have more soonâ„¢ :)

Looking forward to seeing what's next! :kiss:

Thought I'd stop in and share:

Intended for long range. Uses Real Fuels and Stockalike RF configs. The design is a little unusual. The Asimov itself was the first part up, it has its own engine using MMH+N2O4 (RCS uses same configuration for convenience)

There is also a 2.5m saddleback truss with a docking ring. Because it's open at the back, the engine can thrust freely without impediment or risk of damaging anything. Docked to that is a long range nuclear propulsion module using ammonia as the propellant. (5m diameter)

Unfortunately the design hasn't been terribly successful due to massive flexing where the 5m module mates to the 2.5m truss. (Thanks Unity physics). I'm trying to salvage it with Active Struts + KAS (which I haven't had installed in half a year). First flight up installed two struts plus extra science equipment.

Here then is the my Asimov. (the nuclear engines are scaled up in size; I forgot I did that and keep forgetting to delete the config responsible)

F2F9m2nl.jpg

I absolutely love these parts man, Great Job!

I would love to see more parts for it, such as a centrifuge (such as the one seen in the Deep Space Mission Pack) and a shielded docking port that fits the contures of the ship. (the stock shielded docking port makes the nose look stubby.

Here is my KSS Asimov Long Range Science Vessel.

It uses parts from the ISX Enterprise, KSO Station Parts, Near Furture Technologies, Station Expansion Parts, HCV Torus and DMagic Orbital Sciences. And of course the invaluable Tweakscale.

3B6FD52E73B8CE928249AA426CE738EE6ABBB2B4

2345D81F63A936532AA9FBD93EA114604DCBC817

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello guys. Sorry for the long absence. Between a new job, business travels and the new Hearthstone expansion, I've had little time to sit down and work on this. But, I think it's time to pick this up again.

First of all, cool to see other usages of the parts I made. The ships above look really, really cool! :D

As for the parts themselves, while I haven't been able to work on them, I've been taking notes and sketching some things. My priority right now though, will be to finish the engine and adapter plate in time for the 0.90 update. That should not take too much time. The engine is already UV mapped and working in game. Just need an afternoon or two to make the textures. Along these two new pieces, there'll be some adjustments to the Command and Living modules. I'm adding a proper hatch to the latter and adjusting the one on the Command module so that they align properly. After this is done, I'll see what else can be made, and start to work on IVAs. Current plans include solar panels, an alternative command pod that seats 4 kerbals and is used to carry our green friends to orbit and back, a service module and engine to go with that, and maybe a greenhouse. I had an idea for a cool one, so I'll see how that goes.

I should have updates in the next few days.

Thought I'd stop in and share:

Intended for long range. Uses Real Fuels and Stockalike RF configs. The design is a little unusual. The Asimov itself was the first part up, it has its own engine using MMH+N2O4 (RCS uses same configuration for convenience)

There is also a 2.5m saddleback truss with a docking ring. Because it's open at the back, the engine can thrust freely without impediment or risk of damaging anything. Docked to that is a long range nuclear propulsion module using ammonia as the propellant. (5m diameter)

Unfortunately the design hasn't been terribly successful due to massive flexing where the 5m module mates to the 2.5m truss. (Thanks Unity physics). I'm trying to salvage it with Active Struts + KAS (which I haven't had installed in half a year). First flight up installed two struts plus extra science equipment.

Here then is the my Asimov. (the nuclear engines are scaled up in size; I forgot I did that and keep forgetting to delete the config responsible)

http://i.imgur.com/F2F9m2nl.jpg

Where is docking ring and saddle truss form?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well, i made a quick attach node fix.

Seems to be working so i am sharing it.

@PART[asimovcommandmodule]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.473, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[asimovfueltank]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -2.112, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0, 2
}

@PART[asimovlivingmodule]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0, -1.1, 0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
}

@PART[asimov_reactionwheels]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0, -0.2, 0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
}

@PART[asimov_servicemodule]
{
@node_stack_bottom = 0.0, -0.609, 0.0, 0.0, -1.0, 0.0
}

Hey everyone, just a I'm still here post. I have updates incoming for the ship, but time is short right now, so any progress I make is slow. I fixed all the attachments nodes, and reorganized the tech tree somewhat. I also changed the command module texture a bit, to adjust the position of the hatch. I haven't adjusted the hatch in Unity yet though cause ended up unninstalling Unity a couple of months back. So I gotta get the environment working again. I could just upload a quick fix, but I'd rather do a more substantial update. Meanwhile, people are more than welcome to use those configs.

• 10 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Ah, good to be back. Thanks for re opening the thread :)

I stopped playing the game for a long time due to no 64 bit support that was really killing my enjoyment due the limitation on mods. But with the 1.1 pre release I decided to pick it up again, and now I can finally enjoy the game with all the mods I like :) With that, I decided to pick up this little project as well. I don't have a new release for you guys yet (mostly because I just spent a whole week fighting KSP to import an animation), but I wanted to open the thread again and post some previews.

First of all, the next release will break saves. I'm taking the opportunity to fix some naming conventions that were wrong and re organize everything for future parts. So if anyone is hoping to get the new update on older saves, you'll need to do some cfg juggling.

Parts wise, I'm updating a couple of textures and taking the opportunity to convert everything do DDS and also working on some new stuff. The engine I was working on last year is on hold for now. I started to texture it but kinda froze doing it. Not sure I really like the design anymore. For now, I'm working on Solar Panels to go with the ship which are almost ready. In addition to the retractable stuff, I'll also doing fixed ones just in case. I still hope to add some kind of engine, but I suspect it'll be something a bit more conventional. This is for next release. Later on, I hope to add some more things.

Ok, enough talking, here's a screenshot :)

lHdUoMt.jpg

The textures are not final yet, and there's probably some more mesh work to do. The hardest part is over though.

Oh, and I finally got around to adding support to other mods. For now, USI-LS, UKS and Connected Living Spaces are done. I'll take a look at adding support to TAC-LS, Snacks and some others. Any mods that you guys would like to have support to, let me know and I'll see about it.

That's it for now. I hope to have a new download real soon :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.