[WIP] KSS Asimov - A spaceship pack - Update 0.1.2 (11/17/2016) [KSP 1.2.1]

v1per

• 1 month later...

I've been meaning to post something here, but I've been pretty busy lately. I'm in some financial trouble, so I'm trying to scrounge up whatever money I can. Economy here in Brazil is wrecking small business owners like me. Coupled with this, I've been having a bit of an existential crisis lately. You see, when I was 18, CG was actually what I wanted to do for a living. But, due to a lack of industry for that here and also no education, I ended up going with programming, which is something that I was relatively passionate about and figured I could do it as my career and leave CG as a hobby. Well, turns out I was wrong. When I picked the mod up again late last year, I really started to find a groove with things, and started to study a lot. And now I'm considering a career move to CG. But it's a bit of a long shot now especially at my age (I'm 30 now). Still, I ain't giving it up that easily :) The net result though is that I have been studying and trying to build a portfolio, but it's taking most of my spare time which leads me to neglecting the mod.

All this said, I have no intention of dropping it at all. I have a mostly complete high resolution model for the engine. Gotta finish some details and do the low poly plus bake. The fuel tank needs a bit more work. I'm still not 100% happy with the details. And I have several sketches for other things. The smaller command pod I did could potentially be released with some fine tuning work. And I designed a satellite system that I think will be really cool once it's all done and working. On top of all that, although it's still not a priority for me, I think I have a design for the IVA for the Asimov pod. I'd like to tackle that at some point.

Anyway, please bare with me. The money thing is the main culprit though. Gotta survive first and foremost :) As soon as I have some news, I'll let you guys know :)

Cheers!

6 hours ago, v1per said:

And now I'm considering a career move to CG. But it's a bit of a long shot now especially at my age (I'm 30 now).

I made a huge career change at 32, moved from network tech to information systems security to programming professor in a couple of years. Its really up to you, you will be too old when you decide you are too old and cant be bothered, not when some time counter reaches some arbitrary limit.

Looking at your work with the Asimov, you definitely have talent for CG. Best of luck to you!

Good luck with your career change. I reallly hope you achieve your dream. And not to worry. Asimov works perfectly in 1.2.2, so no work is required right now. Please, continue to take some time off and sort things out. I hope things work out for you.

Edited by Kosmonaut

Thanks for the encouragement guys :) Means a lot. One thing I thought of was maybe starting a Patreon. But, I'm not sure what I could give you guys in return for the support. I would never put the mods themselves behind a paywall, cause that's just a douche move. I guess maybe my substances, but then if you guys don't have access to Substance Designer that becomes kinda moot, heh.

@Kosmonaut, that's good to know about 1.2.2. I haven't played that myself yet, both due to mod versions and any gaming time I have lately I've been spending on Stellaris again. But don't hesitate to drop me a message here in case something does break or stops working. Usually it's a really quick fix since there are no plugins.

• 5 months later...
51 minutes ago, Brainpop14 said:

Does this work in 1.3 yet?

The only thing that would have broken it is plugins. The only plugin I know of that it might need is Firespitter and I don't know if Firespitter has been updated yet or not, so you need to find that out. Other than that, the parts themselves will be fine.

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

The only thing that would have broken it is plugins. The only plugin I know of that it might need is Firespitter and I don't know if Firespitter has been updated yet or not, so you need to find that out. Other than that, the parts themselves will be fine.

Firespitter has been updated since the day 1.3 released

Hey guys. Good to see there's still interest. I've been in a rut the past few months...got a mountain of debt that I have to pay. At least I got a job now, so that'll help.

As far as the mod goes, I would like to work more on it, but I'm worried about the game. Latest news haven't been encouraging to say the least. But as soon as I have some time and motivation I'll finish what I promised before.

And for 1.3, the only thing I use a plugin for is the texture switcher on the command module which is in a module manager config so even that isn't necessary. All compatibility with other mods is done via MM config files, so it should work, unless Squad changed something on part definitions that I'm not aware of.

• 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It should. Unless there were changes to animations or the way config files are built. Try it out and let me know what happens. If it needs a fix, I can take a look during the weekend.

Edited by v1per

• 2 years later...

On 4/11/2018 at 3:03 AM, Modding Maniac said:

does this still work?

in 1.10: only after a recompressing the texture files. I already did that. is it ok when i upload that work and post a link here?

Edited by flori1994

2 hours ago, flori1994 said:

in 1.10: only after a recompressing the texture files. I already did that. is it ok when i upload that work and post a link here?

What do you mean "recompressing" the textures? You mean converting to .dds?

as to uploading/redistributing it, this mod is ARR licensed, which means you would absolutely have to contact @v1per directly, and get their explicit permission to do so, otherwise, no, you cant redistribute anything from the mod.

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

What do you mean "recompressing" the textures? You mean converting to .dds?

no i mean open the dds files in gimp and reexport them with a dxt5 compression. As the dds files are compressed in the dxt3 format which is no longer supported by KSP.

8 hours ago, Stone Blue said:

as to uploading/redistributing it, this mod is ARR licensed, which means you would absolutely have to contact @v1per directly, and get their explicit permission to do so, otherwise, no, you cant redistribute anything from the mod.

hmm ok. 

17 minutes ago, v1per said:

I'll look into it once I have time. Sucks that things broke :huh:

Well, at least not *too* badly... recent Unity update wont do DXT3...so just a matter of converting those to DXT1 or 5... Angel-125, IIRC, had to convert quite a lot of his textures, too, across many mods :P
If @flori1994 already has them converted, and is willing, mebbe they could just transfer you the new textures to incorporate to a release? vOv

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.