v1per

[WIP] KSS Asimov - A spaceship pack - Update 0.1.2 (11/17/2016) [KSP 1.2.1]

Recommended Posts

58 minutes ago, Kosmonaut said:

Send this design to NASA...

I know it's not ground breaking, but the others were worse, believe me :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ive finally had some time to actually play with the new parts. Its new but still the good old Asimov i love, thanks for keeping it alive.

 

I definitely appreciate the USI compatibility patch.

 

And now a bit of nitpick.... i mean feedback. Because i care. :P

 

Is the the "nameless" command module still on the table? I feel having a name written on the side of it creates a needless limitation on ship names. Honestly i have always called this ship Asimov but i can certainly imagine a situation in which i would have 2 variations flying at the same time, having a name on the side breaks immersion in this scenario. Also not a big fan of the black "spots" on the top of the command module. I just cant imagine a purpose for them. Maybe a small window, some kind of a sensor cluster or even a small built in antenna cloud go there if you just want to break up the hull plating a bit on that spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, v1per said:

(Snipped rather interesting brainstorming by @v1per)

Hi!

Never mind that wall of text, I agree with you, sometimes it is good to write down one's thoughts to structure them.

First of all, I love the model concept of the new fuel tanks and the (nuclear?!?) engine. It adds a lot to the overall ship design, and takes it IMHO to the next level. I think you should continue along this trail! :)

Regarding the crew capsule, I am eager to see, what you are coming up with. I also agree with you on the stock capsule. There are plenty of replica-ish capsules around, based on Apollo and Orion. A freelanced model however would strengthen the totally free way of playing things, getting rid of earthly prototypes!

Thanks for all your hard work! It is really appreciated!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Vrana said:

Ive finally had some time to actually play with the new parts. Its new but still the good old Asimov i love, thanks for keeping it alive.

Good. That was my aim :)

6 hours ago, Vrana said:

Is the the "nameless" command module still on the table? I feel having a name written on the side of it creates a needless limitation on ship names. Honestly i have always called this ship Asimov but i can certainly imagine a situation in which i would have 2 variations flying at the same time, having a name on the side breaks immersion in this scenario. Also not a big fan of the black "spots" on the top of the command module. I just cant imagine a purpose for them. Maybe a small window, some kind of a sensor cluster or even a small built in antenna cloud go there if you just want to break up the hull plating a bit on that spot.

Yes, of course. In my haste to put this out I forgot about that. I'm working on an update to fix a few things, I'll include the alternate texture with that. Should be out by the end of the week. The black spots are still an issue in my mind as well. In the original, they were light gray panels but that is a poor solution. To me, the whole top of the command module should work as a sensor array of sorts. If I can't figure anything out, I might just remove the black thing and leave the original outlines.

6 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Hi!

Never mind that wall of text, I agree with you, sometimes it is good to write down one's thoughts to structure them.

First of all, I love the model concept of the new fuel tanks and the (nuclear?!?) engine. It adds a lot to the overall ship design, and takes it IMHO to the next level. I think you should continue along this trail! :)

Regarding the crew capsule, I am eager to see, what you are coming up with. I also agree with you on the stock capsule. There are plenty of replica-ish capsules around, based on Apollo and Orion. A freelanced model however would strengthen the totally free way of playing things, getting rid of earthly prototypes!

Thanks for all your hard work! It is really appreciated!

Thanks :wink: Glad you enjoy it. I went on a quick binge last night and basically finished the capsule + service module I mentioned. It ended up a bit too much like Orion, but I'm happy with it. Once textures are done I'll post a few shots :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

In case you haven't seen yet! :wink:

<snip>

Whoa! That's awesome :) Thanks for letting me know.

I'm preparing the update btw, should be out today or tomorrow depending on solving some config snafus I stumbled upon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I gotta say, I'd love this mod just for the Command Module alone. I've felt for a while now that there's a horrible shortage of command modules for dedicated deep-space craft, never intended to land. The fact that it and the other parts in the pack are quite pretty and include light-up windows is just icing on the cake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok guys, quick release as I'm having trouble with config files right now and I wanted to push this out ASAP. Get it here: Github

I updated the texture for the command module and removed the black panels. I also included an alternate texture without the name on the side, though you have to add it by hand. If anyone wants to figure out a config for Firespitter to do it, send it to me and I'll add it. I'll try to have it up for a future release.

I also fixed an error with the configuration file for the Community Tech tree as the Solar Panels weren't showing up.

Finally, I'm including a config for TAC Life Support, but I didn't balance at all so I'm not including it in the release notes. I need to setup a proper installation with it to test it. A config for Kerbalism is also coming in the future.

In other news, I spent some time yesterday working on a new substance for future parts that I think looks even better than the one I'm using now. I don't know how much progress will happen this next week though as it should be fairly busy work wise. I'll keep you folks updated.

Edited by v1per

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, v1per said:

If anyone wants to figure out a config for Firespitter to do it, send it to me and I'll add it. I'll try to have it up for a future release.
 

I have tried to do this. I cant get it to work for unknown reasons.

 

Following docs here:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iD52DfHft04Hb48TEhF5a4n5JOc8efUevdg5Y_QPICQ/edit#heading=h.5f9297qfu2wh

And looking at parts using FStextureSwitch2 from USI i have come up with the following changes to asimov_commandmodule.cfg...

 

I think you need stop using the deprecated style of mesh on a line by itself and switch to using a MODEL sub.

More info on: http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/CFG_File_Documentation

 

I have written this as such:

// --- asset parameters ---
	//mesh = asimov_commandmodule.mu
	scale = 1
	rescaleFactor = 1
	
	MODEL
	{
		model = IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/asimov_commandmodule
		texture = Asimov, IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/command_module_diffuse
	}

Then you need to add the FStextureSwitch2 module. I did it like this:

MODULE
	{
		name = FStextureSwitch2
		moduleID = 0
		useFuelSwitchModule = false
		textureNames = IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/command_module_diffuse;IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/command_module_diffuse_01
		objectNames = asimov_commandmodule
		textureDisplayNames = Asimov;NoName
		nextButtonText = Next Name
		prevButtonText = Previous Name
		
	}

 

For this to work you need to place the alt texture from Extras folder to IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/ and rename it to command_module_diffuse_01.dds, obviously.

 

I messed around with this for a while and i think it should work. However, it does not. The part appears normally ingame, proper texture and all, has FStextureSwitch2 buttons but they do nothing.

I have also noticed that if i try changing the name of the default texture (the one defined in the MODEL sub) i lose the diffuse map completely (part is present with normal and emissive). This led me to question if it is possible the .mu file is somehow tied to the the default diffuse texture map and refuses to work with the alternate one (which has a different file and ingame object name)? I have no idea if this is possible, i know nothing of .mu's.

Could also be i made some other mistake, first time trying to write my own FS module.

Edited by Vrana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I spent the better part of Saturday trying to make it work, but no dice. I think I need to change my naming convention as well, as there's a warning on the docs saying underscores are a no go. Problem is the issue persisted even after renaming everything. As far as the default texture, that's how it comes out of Unity. I apply the textures inside Unity to see if everything is correct and export via PartTools. If that's not the correct workflow anymore, I didn't see any documentation about it. I might contact Roverdude if I can't figure it out in the following days. I'm going to take a break today and actually play the game a bit. I spent the day yesterday building my pod and accompanying service module. Need to take them out for a spin :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vrana said:

I have also noticed that if i try changing the name of the default texture (the one defined in the MODEL sub) i lose the diffuse map completely (part is present with normal and emissive). This led me to question if it is possible the .mu file is somehow tied to the the default diffuse texture map and refuses to work with the alternate one (which has a different file and ingame object name)? I have no idea if this is possible, i know nothing of .mu's.

Could also be i made some other mistake, first time trying to write my own FS module.

When replacing a texture via a texture line in the MODEL node, the texture being replaced has to have existed in the game where the .mu file expects that texture to exist. Otherwise the model will load without that texture and it cannot afterwards be replaced since it doesn't really exist in the model.

Because the model is initially loaded without referencing the MODEL node.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In case anyone is curious, here's the command pod I mentioned. Tentatively called the Clarke for now:

7kwz3Fk.jpg

47P3YOr.jpg

Eo9qA7O.jpg

Not pictured is the heat shield for obvious reasons. The service module and engine are all one part so that building the ship is ultra easy. The service module carries electric charge, mono propellant, fuel, oxidizer and life support supplies. Anyway, it became a cool little ship. With the current configuration, I can get about 900 Delta-v, which isn't a lot, but with a good launcher it's enough to do orbital logistics around Kerbin/Mun/Minmus which was the goal anyway. If there's interest, I might release it in the future as a separate mod :) Would need a bit more work for that though. Of course, the terrible consequence of this is now I want to make my own lander as well :(

Edited by v1per

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oooohhhh MAN

That looks so good. I was thinking maybe you could add a TMI Stage, just a small one that could send it on a path to the mun or minmus. By the way, are those the Asimov Solar Panels?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, StarStreak2109 said:

Would definitely be interested! Always in for a good Mk1-2 replacement! :)

Yeah, that was the main purpose. The Mk1-2 doesn't appeal to me very much. This is a drop in replacement. BTW, the stock heatshield work fine with it. I did my own just so that the service bay fit the way I wanted without having to hack too much with nodes.

4 hours ago, Kosmonaut said:

oooohhhh MAN

That looks so good. I was thinking maybe you could add a TMI Stage, just a small one that could send it on a path to the mun or minmus. By the way, are those the Asimov Solar Panels?

Yeah, that's in the works. The second 2.5m tank plus the poodle is what I'm using right now. But a full launch vehicle similar to the Falcon 9 plus an upper stage is going to happen at some point and probably soon. The reason why I like to make my own parts is to unify the look. It's awesome to have tons of parts to experiment and build things. But once I arrive at a design I hate that it looks like mismatched legos. So I sit down and design my own thing based around what I built in the game. Both the Asimov and now the Clarke were born out of that. Since I like the SpaceX stuff, I'm thinking my own launcher would be cool. The Griffin perhaps? :D

And yes, those are the solar panels from the Asimov :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want to thank @COL.R.Neville for showing me how to properly write FStextureSwitch modules and solving this problem for us.

 

v1per, Ive made a somewhat clumsy Github pull request with the needed changes but i will also list them here in case anybody else is following these developments.

 

1. rename command_module_diffuse.dds  to command_module_diffuseBlank.dds and move it from Extras to asimov_commandmodule folder.

2. Add following module to asimov_commandmodule.cfg:

MODULE
    {
        name = FStextureSwitch2
	textureRootFolder = IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/
        textureNames = command_module_diffuse;command_module_diffuseBlank
        objectNames = command_module
        textureDisplayNames = named;blank
        mapNames = command_module_normal;command_module_normal
        useFuelSwitchModule = false
        nextButtonText = Next Texture
        prevButtonText = Previous Texture
    } 

 

That should be it. 

 

Now that we have this working. Might i suggest adding even more name alternatives? Perhaps Lem and Heinlein would be appropriate.

 

Edited by Vrana

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Vrana said:

I want to thank @COL.R.Neville for showing me how to properly write FStextureSwitch modules and solving this problem for us.

 

v1per, Ive made a somewhat clumsy Github pull request with the needed changes but i will also list them here in case anybody else is following these developments.

 

1. rename command_module_diffuse.dds  to command_module_diffuseBlank.dds and move it from Extras to asimov_commandmodule folder.

2. Add following module to asimov_commandmodule.cfg:


MODULE
    {
        name = FStextureSwitch2
	textureRootFolder = IncredibleMachines/Asimov/Parts/asimov_commandmodule/
        textureNames = command_module_diffuse;command_module_diffuseBlank
        objectNames = command_module
        textureDisplayNames = named;blank
        mapNames = command_module_normal;command_module_normal
        useFuelSwitchModule = false
        nextButtonText = Next Texture
        prevButtonText = Previous Texture
    } 

 

That should be it. 

 

Now that we have this working. Might i suggest adding even more name alternatives? Perhaps Lem and Heinlein would be appropriate.

 

Thanks @Vrana! I've been kinda busy the past few days, didn't have time to look into it. This helps a ton. I'll only have some free time later today, I'll get your pull request and release a new version then. As far as other names, I can add a few though Asimov is supposed to be the name of the "class", if you'll pardon my Star Trek lingo :D  I'll think about it.

2 hours ago, RealGecko said:

It was born to fit warp drive:

KTMf6Ww.png

Yeah, the idea to create a warp drive for this ship has crossed my mind. Outside of scope though. Might do it later as an addon for all my mods. It looks good with Roverdudes part though :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just finished putting a new release up. It adds the Firespitter config from @Vrana, so if you don't need that, there's no real reason to upgrade. There's also a minor tech requirement change for the fuel tank, as it was coming too early in stock and too late in CTT. Should be in the right spot now. I'm not including Firespitter in the package for now. I want to sort that out another way. So for now, if you want the feature, you need to install the plugin yourself. Hard to imagine you don't have it though. As always, get it on Github.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been a bit busy the past week or so, and will be for the next few days until at least Tuesday. But, I've been using whatever free time that comes up to keep working on things. Remember that new fuel tank I was working on? Yeah, so I scrapped that and did another:

ZbMcPXe.jpg

I'm not sure if this design is final. I like the holding pads, but they are spending quite a few polygons right now. I thought about using some cables instead...have to think about it. The material for the sphere isn't 100% either. Anyway, here are a couple of variations:

POSmr1B.jpg

Js1GAwz.jpg

I really like the look of carbon fiber for the tank, so that one will be included either way. Probably will do a texture switch deal to have both options. This will be on the next update for the Asimov. The great thing about it is that you can chain a couple of them to get an insane amount of delta-v at the expense of some pretty long burn times of course. With my standard build I get 3900 ΔV with one tank and about 5100 ΔV with two. More than enough for a trip to Duna and back as I wanted. The next release will also include either a new engine or a complete rework of the current one. I've been looking at it, and it needs some love. So next version will be released when it's done as I want to get these two parts right. I'll keep you guys updated.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.