[WIN] TED - KSP Tech Tree Editor - v0.2.4 ALPHA [EARLY TESTING]

Nelien

Hope this tool is still being developed. I'm having some issues creating a tech tree for TechManager:

• Each node has a "techID" attribute which Tree Editor doesn't seem to populate properly. I found a bunch of stock-looking values in those, even though I had created completely custom nodes from scratch. Loading this file caused a bunch of unwanted parts to show up in my nodes. I hand-changed the techID values and everything started behaving normally.
  • It seems that a number of part names are incorrect, at least in 0.90. I'm not sure if they've changed. But this is causing various parts to not show up in nodes they're attached to. I don't have a comprehensive list, but for example Tree Editor uses "Large_Crewed_Lab", but I believe this is supposed to be "Large.Crewed.Lab". Is an update to the parts list in the works to fix these?

Edit: Actually I'm not sure about #2 above now. Although the part names are different in the .cfg file TED spits out compared with, say, one of the .cfg trees that come with Tech Manager, when I try to hand edit them in my file, they still don't seem to show up in the game! I have no idea why this would be. Any ideas?

The more I look at this, the more I think it's an issue with TechManager not TED though

Edited by sherkaner

Hope this tool is still being developed. I'm having some issues creating a tech tree for TechManager:

• Each node has a "techID" attribute which Tree Editor doesn't seem to populate properly. I found a bunch of stock-looking values in those, even though I had created completely custom nodes from scratch. Loading this file caused a bunch of unwanted parts to show up in my nodes. I hand-changed the techID values and everything started behaving normally.
  • It seems that a number of part names are incorrect, at least in 0.90. I'm not sure if they've changed. But this is causing various parts to not show up in nodes they're attached to. I don't have a comprehensive list, but for example Tree Editor uses "Large_Crewed_Lab", but I believe this is supposed to be "Large.Crewed.Lab". Is an update to the parts list in the works to fix these?

Edit: Actually I'm not sure about #2 above now. Although the part names are different in the .cfg file TED spits out compared with, say, one of the .cfg trees that come with Tech Manager, when I try to hand edit them in my file, they still don't seem to show up in the game! I have no idea why this would be. Any ideas?

The more I look at this, the more I think it's an issue with TechManager not TED though

Okay, I think I've figured it out now. I think I simply screwed up when hand editing in "Large.Crewed.Lab" because that does in fact work. So then I started wondering if that underscore/period switch applied to other parts (which TM wasn't listing in its example files for some reason, like the mk2 cockpit). Turns out that it does. It seems like any part name that TED generates with an underscore won't actually work unless I change the underscore to a period. For example TED generates "mk2Cockpit_Standard", but TM only recognizes "mk2Cockpit.Standard".

Looking at the file names in the KSP directory, the underscore version looks correct to me so I'm not actually sure why TM is looking for periods. But nonetheless, that's how it is. I'm really hoping that you guys can work it out one way or the other so TED and TM work nicely together.

Edited by sherkaner

Oh and by the way, it would be fantastic if TED could use whatever logic KSP does to draw the arrows, so we can see how those will really look in-game. It's a pretty frustrating guessing game right now, when making a tree of any kind of complexity.

Hi! I think I found how to resolve Shinsaka's problem with misplaced elements. When writing to TechManager config file, your editor uses system delimeters. In some languages it's, sadly, a comma (for example, russian). when i changed system delimeter to dot , the problem has gone. I think, it's a bug..

• 2 weeks later...

Another bit of feedback: I've found that the canvas that TED offers on which to create a tech tree is notably different sized than the actual available in-game canvas. It seems that the game's limits on X,Y coords is something like -4000-0, 0-2400 whereas TED's seems to be -3300-0, 0-2100. Also TED will allow negative Y values, which do not show up in the game at all.

Quick post. I promise I will get back to all of you who posted here during my absence.

v0.2.4 is released!

This is mostly minor usability improvements and bug fixes. Keep in mind it's a minor update, despite the time between updates I haven't been working on TED much, so it's just a handful of fixes

Changelog.

v0.2.4 Alpha (2015-01-18)

- TechManager v1.5 support (hideIfNoBranch support)

- Added debug logging - Output will be stored in output.log next to the .exe

- Added node snapping - (Finally!)

- Now shows "[Modname] Part Name - (Original TechRequired: Original Cost)" in parts list

- TechId is now editable and not auto-generated

- Fixes to TechManager file saver - Now uses ModuleManager config

- This should mean more consistent part allocation when using many mods that edit tech requirements

>> TED - KSP Tech Tree Editor v0.2.4 Alpha <<

NOTE 1: Please backup your trees before using a new version!

The update should be fully backwards compatible (and automatically convert the file to any changes added in this version), but it's better to be safe than sorry!

NOTE 2: Now that 0.2.4 has logging support. Please attach your output.log (the TED one, not KSP one) to any bug reports if you can. You can find it right where you put the TED .exe.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all!

First of all, thank you so much @rem0230 for maintaining TED! It means a huge amount to see interest in this project stick around in my absence. Thank you!

Now as for the future of TED in this iteration, well, to keep it short: There's no plans for any future support.

The project is open source and, as you have noticed, anyone can build on it and continue supporting it, I very much encourage it! But, I myself, will not be continuing working on it.

With that said, I don't rule out the idea of working on a similar project in the future. I'm playing with the idea of restarting this in Python, but no promises!

So for the longer story (for those of you who care to read this far): The reason I started this project in the first place was in part to try out a larger UI project in C#. I have since moved on from C# and to be frank was not a huge fan of the language and in particular it's UI templating framework. Now, professionally I'm actually a Python programmer so building this in Python would likely be much quicker than in C#, with the added bonus of being multi-platform (linux, windows, osx and potentially web). I really do think a tool like this is very needed for modders and players, there's a couple of really good tech tree mods out there but there could be so many more (and updated much easier) if only there was a tool to help the modders! The programmers and modellers both have their tools, now the tech tree designers need theirs...

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

https://github.com/NightStalker101s/ksp-techtree-edit/releases

The issue wasn't actually fixed. It is fixed now and works wonderfully! I really appreciate the effort the original creator put in and I'm super excited to create my own tree finally! The changes forced me to learn C# (I have a small C++ background) and really improve my programming skills. I still couldn't follow his code though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
On 11/2/2014 at 11:30 AM, Nertea said:

I like the single-letter for showing tech names, it's elegant, but there can be so many similar names that I might suggest the first two letters instead

I've adopted this program, new thread is here:

@Nertea I liked your suggestion, and improved on it

Pingig @nightstalker101s 

Edited by linuxgurugamer

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.