[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

Hi, I'm experiencing some extremely lagging episodes, when i liftoff with a new vessel I get a flare in the ground.

It happens even on launch pad

When I start the engines I get an extremely poor fps and when I move the camera in another position, to not watch the flare, I get a normal fps. The problem is that vessels sometimes drop another flare sometimes, during flight. I've tried to remove vessel flare rendering and disable any options but no succes. For now the solution is to remove Distant Object entirely. :(

Are you getting error messages when the lag happens? What other mods are you using?

Also, you might try to figure out what minimum set of mods you can have and still have your problem.

FWIW, I don't recall anyone else reporting such an issue here in the forum.

It happens even on launch pad

When I start the engines I get an extremely poor fps and when I move the camera in another position, to not watch the flare, I get a normal fps. The problem is that vessels sometimes drop another flare sometimes, during flight. I've tried to remove vessel flare rendering and disable any options but no succes. For now the solution is to remove Distant Object entirely. :(

It really sounds like you've got mods interfering with one another. I am going to see a log at the very least before I can do anything with this, since I don't see this problem. If the log doesn't have any obvious info that points at a culprit, you will need to eliminate mods to figure out what mods are interfering with each other.

Are you getting error messages when the lag happens? What other mods are you using?

Also, you might try to figure out what minimum set of mods you can have and still have your problem.

FWIW, I don't recall anyone else reporting such an issue here in the forum.

I don't get any error message

I use these mods:

ActiveTextureManagement

AsteroidDay

AtomicAge

AviationLights

EVE old with AVG pack

Chatterer

CollisionFX

CommunityTechTree

DistantObject

DockingPortSoundFX

EngineLight

Raster prop monitor

KAS

KIS

6seats mk3 cockpit

Mechjeb

final frontier

PersistentRotation

PlanetaryBaseSystem

PlanetShine

PortraitStats

RCSBuildAid

RcsSounds

RemoteTech

ResearchBodies

SCANsat

SoundtrackEditor

StageRecovery

StockBugFixModules

TextureReplacer

Kerbal Alarm clock

VesselView

WheelSounds

Modulemanager 2.6.8

It really sounds like you've got mods interfering with one another. I am going to see a log at the very least before I can do anything with this, since I don't see this problem. If the log doesn't have any obvious info that points at a culprit, you will need to eliminate mods to figure out what mods are interfering with each other.

How can I produce a log? I'm not good at modding...

How can I produce a log? I'm not good at modding...

KSP generates the log automatically. There are two of them: in your KSP install directory, KSP.log. In the KSP_Data directory beneath the KSP install directory, output_log.txt. Run the game, get to where you see the bug, and then exit out of the game. Zip those two log files and put them somewhere I can download them (drop box, one drive, google docs), and post a link.

Stardestoyer, to stick my nose in for a second : I have the same issue with spatters of lights being dropped on the ground like little easter eggs, however, I don't have any drop in frame rate. This is just to qualify that indeed distant object might be causing "something", but until you isolate mods via an arduous walkthrough process, you won't know which mod is making the framerate drop. Given your number of mods, I'm assuming your game loads rather quickly - or rather, for modded games it "doesn't load for too long" so isolating mods shouldn't take toooooo long :)

Strange things happening...

I've tried to remove StockBugFixModules (the last I've installed) and I get no more drop of frame rate, so I thought to have discovered the guilty but I've reinstalled it to be sure 100% and now the situation is the same. No more flare under vessels or plane or anomal drop of fps. I'm happy but I didn't understand what's happened. :confused: I can't reproduce the issue anymore...

Edited by stardestroyer

I too am getting bad NRE's in flight.

at Vessel.<GetUnloadedVesselMass>m__44E (.ProtoPartResourceSnapshot x) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable+<Sum>c__AnonStorey3A`1[ProtoPartResourceSnapshot].<>m__74 (Single a, .ProtoPartResourceSnapshot B) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Sum[ProtoPartResourceSnapshot,Single] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`3 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at System.Linq.Enumerable.Sum[ProtoPartResourceSnapshot] (IEnumerable`1 source, System.Func`2 selector) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Vessel.GetUnloadedVesselMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at Vessel.GetTotalMass () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DistantObject.FlareDraw.AddVesselFlare (.Vessel referenceShip) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DistantObject.FlareDraw.GenerateVesselFlares () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
at DistantObject.FlareDraw.FixedUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

This occurred after the removal of Deadly Rentry. Cant imagine why.

Im on Linux x64.

Player.log

KSP.log

MMCache

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone else have an issue with the stars not dimming when in LKO? Even happens in the map view. If I zoom way out it works like it should, but as soon as I zoom back in...

Sometimes it works correctly again, and then later it stops.

Is this mod supposed to be compatible with RSS ?

When I installed it, I had the stars dimming when looking towards the Sun or Earth (as it is supposed to); but I didn't have any of the flares or any objects appearing in the sky or in space. I also had a strange bug where a sort of "orb" of light hangs around my ship, slowly drifting away, but coming back as soon as I timewarp.

This happens even when using the "default" real solar system alternate config.

I temporarily removed the sun corona asset file in order to see Minmus transit from the surface of Kerbin (zoom with Camera Tools). Keeping an eye on Eve and Moho. I know they show up fine when zoomed in with Camera Tools so I should be able to see them transit the same way when it happens

Also have yet to figure out how to get rid of the glow to better see the sun texture. Took this shot as sun was setting so the thicker atmosphere blocked some of the glow to let sunspots near the center show up

hlKBGwbl.png

Is this mod supposed to be compatible with RSS ?

When I installed it, I had the stars dimming when looking towards the Sun or Earth (as it is supposed to); but I didn't have any of the flares or any objects appearing in the sky or in space. I also had a strange bug where a sort of "orb" of light hangs around my ship, slowly drifting away, but coming back as soon as I timewarp.

This happens even when using the "default" real solar system alternate config.

There's nothing in the code that I know of that would prevent this mod from working with RSS. Vessel flares are only supposed visible within 750km of the vessel, which is a tiny distance when talking real-world scale. The planets at that scale may simply be too far away for the flare rendering scale to draw. I'm not sure why there's be flares showing up around your ship - that sounds like bugs I've had in the past where the flares were being drawn on the wrong camera layer, but I haven't seen that behavior in months.

I temporarily removed the sun corona asset file in order to see Minmus transit from the surface of Kerbin (zoom with Camera Tools). Keeping an eye on Eve and Moho. I know they show up fine when zoomed in with Camera Tools so I should be able to see them transit the same way when it happens

What's funny is that I think the transit is visible when the planet's *behind* Kerbol, too (well, actually it's a bug, but it's still funny). I'll have to double-check that the code that's supposed to hide flares when they're behind other worlds actually works with the sun, now that I think about it.

Off topic (but not too awful much): Does anyone know if it is possible to view a lunar eclipse in KSP? Not a solar (or Kerbolar) eclipse, but the kind where the Mun passes through the shadow of Kerbin and gets darker as the shadow moves across it's survace.

I don't know if lighting in KSP allows that kind of dimming, but as Kerbin and the Mun have 0° inclination in their respective orbit, every full moon is actually a lunar eclipse: Kerbin stands exactly between Kerbol and the Mun.

Off topic (but not too awful much): Does anyone know if it is possible to view a lunar eclipse in KSP? Not a solar (or Kerbolar) eclipse, but the kind where the Mun passes through the shadow of Kerbin and gets darker as the shadow moves across it's survace.

Unfortunately, no. Eclipse shadows are something that have been requested for a while but haven't happened yet. Hopefully someone will create a mod for it soon. ;)

Howdy folks! Awesome mod, it's one of those subtle-yet-profound additions to the KSP experience.

I'm running into install problems with this mod on CKAN, it seems to want to install an Astronomer's Visual Pack config file, which I don't necessarily mind since I wanna run EVE/AVP anyway. (The fact that CKAN can also not install AVP, forcing me to manually install it myself, thereby creating an install conflict for the AVP-config file for DOE, thereby making me have to manually install DOE is less fine than that, but I can still manage.)

My question comes from the simple fact that there's a config file at all. I'm running the Outer Planets Mod with a lot of planet packs. Does that mean that any planet in my install that's not hard-coded in this mod won't appear in the skybox? For that matter, if I'm running PLanetShine with EVE/AVP visual settings, how do I come across such an Astronomer's config file for DOE? How would CactEye interact with such a mod combination, as far as you can tell from the DOE side of things?

I'm running the Outer Planets Mod with a lot of planet packs. Does that mean that any planet in my install that's not hard-coded in this mod won't appear in the skybox?

can't help you on every question, but this has an easy answer:

DOE can read configs from anywhere in the gamedata folder, planet packs usually have a DOE compatibility config so that their planets show up correctly in the sky

I think that even planets that are not "DOE Compatible" will show up in the sky, their flare will be the standard "white" instead of a custom color

I'm running into install problems with this mod on CKAN, it seems to want to install an Astronomer's Visual Pack config file, which I don't necessarily mind since I wanna run EVE/AVP anyway. (The fact that CKAN can also not install AVP, forcing me to manually install it myself, thereby creating an install conflict for the AVP-config file for DOE, thereby making me have to manually install DOE is less fine than that, but I can still manage.)

You'll need to take up CKAN questions with the CKAN people. I do not make any other mods a dependency on this one, and my only involvement with CKAN is I checked the "CKAN" button on KerbalStuff.

My question comes from the simple fact that there's a config file at all. I'm running the Outer Planets Mod with a lot of planet packs. Does that mean that any planet in my install that's not hard-coded in this mod won't appear in the skybox? For that matter, if I'm running PLanetShine with EVE/AVP visual settings, how do I come across such an Astronomer's config file for DOE? How would CactEye interact with such a mod combination, as far as you can tell from the DOE side of things?

Planets that do not have a config for DoE will show up as white, as Sigma88 said. Any planet pack that has a DoE config somewhere in your KSP install will automatically work in terms of coloring the planet flare per the config file. I am guessing CactEye will draw the colored flare for those mods the same as any stock flare (white if there's no config, or the color in the config otherwise).

When I say "config file", I mean, for instance, in GameData/DistantObject/PlanetColors.cfg - if you look at that file in a text editor, you'll see nodes labeled "CelestialBodyColor", each with a name and color triplet. Any .cfg file can contain these nodes - they're what control the color of the flares. I recall that PlanetShine initially used the colors from DoE for its colors, but I don't know if it uses its own config files, or if it uses the same syntax as DoE (which means the nodes would work for either mod). Does that make everything less clear? :)

Planets that do not have a config for DoE will show up as white, as Sigma88 said. Any planet pack that has a DoE config somewhere in your KSP install will automatically work in terms of coloring the planet flare per the config file. I am guessing CactEye will draw the colored flare for those mods the same as any stock flare (white if there's no config, or the color in the config otherwise).

When I say "config file", I mean, for instance, in GameData/DistantObject/PlanetColors.cfg - if you look at that file in a text editor, you'll see nodes labeled "CelestialBodyColor", each with a name and color triplet. Any .cfg file can contain these nodes - they're what control the color of the flares. I recall that PlanetShine initially used the colors from DoE for its colors, but I don't know if it uses its own config files, or if it uses the same syntax as DoE (which means the nodes would work for either mod). Does that make everything less clear? :)

I think it does, yes. My understanding of your answer is that "any" planet in my career save will show up in the skybox, and the presence or absence of any config file will simply determine what color it appears as (absence yielding default-white.) Awesomesauce!

I think it does, yes. My understanding of your answer is that "any" planet in my career save will show up in the skybox, and the presence or absence of any config file will simply determine what color it appears as (absence yielding default-white.) Awesomesauce!

Yes, that's it exactly. And you're always welcome to come up with colors as you see fit where they're missing, of course.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.