[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

2 hours ago, blu3wolf said:

CKAN updates are in the hands of users, actually. The issue with it presently is that 1.7.1 is marked as being compatible with KSP version 1.1.0 only. Unless someone opens an issue about it, or submits a pull request fixing it, its not likely to get noticed by the CKAN maintainers.

Unless it’s on SpaceDock, in which case CKAN should pick up new versions automatically, IIRC. But if a mod gets marked as compatible with the latest version of KSP but no new version is pushed to SpaceDock, then CKAN won’t pick up the fact it’s now compatible.

17 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Directly looking at the sun should also dim the stars.

If this was already mentioned than ignore me...

Technically, looking directly at the sun should dim the entire world.... permanently

1 hour ago, blu3wolf said:

The sun is bloby trapped, following a chilling comment about the sun dimming the entire world...

No Mister Bond, I expect you to dine.

My poor Zim quote, ruined by stupid fingers.

Not sure if this has been said before - I checked the OP but didn't see any list of known bugs. 

I've seen multiple instances of planets showing up as black dots against the sun - as if they were transiting it - even though they are behind it. For example, Jool should never transit the sun from my point of view from Kerbin, but it shows up as a black dot against the Sun when it passes behind the sun.  Seems like a occlusion problem, but I'm not sure. I can drop a log/screenshot/whatever you need to bugfix.

23 minutes ago, permanentlytemporary said:

Not sure if this has been said before - I checked the OP but didn't see any list of known bugs. 

I've seen multiple instances of planets showing up as black dots against the sun - as if they were transiting it - even though they are behind it. For example, Jool should never transit the sun from my point of view from Kerbin, but it shows up as a black dot against the Sun when it passes behind the sun.  Seems like a occlusion problem, but I'm not sure. I can drop a log/screenshot/whatever you need to bugfix.

When they're truly occluded by the sun (as opposed to the massive glare around the sun), they should not be visible.  The problem is that the occlusion algorithm looks at the diameter of the occluding body and bases its decision on that information.  In the case of the sun, there is a sizable glare effect surrounding it, and I have no idea how to determine its radius.  There's also the question of whether the "sun" that is drawn on the screen is the same radius as what KSP reports to me - if it's a different size, then the occlusion won't correspond to the sun's apparent size.

So this time a serious suggestion.

From my point of view the Dynamic Sky Dimming is overpowered.
It's like if I would be at the camera's position, meditating with my eyes closed, them immediately I open my eyes after hours. What I see THEN is the default and ever lasting state of the sky dimming setting.
Normally my eyes would adapt, so something like this

Spoiler

PS09BRD.png

is way too much of a dim.

How about a second slider that allows the sensitivity, because turning the dimming off actually looks like this

Spoiler

j7I94Sm.png

and especially near the earth's horizon and around the plume it's obvious too less of a dim.

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

From my point of view the Dynamic Sky Dimming is overpowered.

I'm not sure it's overpowered. Here's Buzz Aldrin's description of sky dimming while on the Moon (quoted from a Reddit AMA):

The black sky was different, especially on the surface of the moon. Because from earth, the surrounding light is visible when looking at the night sky. In space, the sun is always affecting the night sky. But on the surface of the moon, the sun's light gave a pronounced velvet-like sheen, such that no stars were visible, especially in the vicinity of the earth. The stars were visible en route, but away from the sun, the stars were very visible, but on the surface of the moon, the ambient light enabled stars to be seen through the telescope but not through the visor cover on the eyes.

Standing on the moon is totally different than the camera view in game as seen on my screenshots.

I have to pitch up the view ~ 60° to have the first stars become visible, that's too much because way before that angle I only see sky, not the earth, not my craft, only blackness.

6 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Standing on the moon is totally different than the camera view in game as seen on my screenshots.

I have to pitch up the view ~ 60° to have the first stars become visible, that's too much because way before that angle I only see sky, not the earth, not my craft, only blackness.

I do not understand what a sensitivity slider would do.

As for the dimming equation, it is a function of camera FoV, body radius, and the angle between the sun and the body. I have not touched this code meaningfully since I took over the mod, so I would need to study what the equation is doing before I start making changes.

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

You have at least one mod that is behaving badly, and it is messing up everyone else.  I see exceptions in FAR, the OrbitDriver is destroying objects due to NaN orbits, etc.  I can get rid of the exceptions in DoE, but that won't fix the underlying problem in the other mod.

Just a tiny ResearchBodies mod integration suggestion: when display name when hoovering over planets is enabled and also when using a mod ResearchBodies can you display label "unknown" if the planet wasn't discovered yet?

• 2 weeks later...

I got these exceptions.  Lots of them

[EXC 17:47:28.636] NullReferenceException
    DistantObject.VesselFlare.Update (Vector3d camPos, Single camFOV)
    DistantObject.FlareDraw.Update ()

They seemed to start when I ditched a load of boosters while launching a large rocket.  Just imagine the following bit of log file ends with the above 3 line exception - repeated forever.  Do you think it was something to do with my boosters?

[LOG 17:47:27.003] 1 explosions created.
[WRN 17:47:28.542] [F: 22590]: Vessel JoolDiver 1 Debris crashed through terrain on Kerbin
[LOG 17:47:28.543] [F: 22590]: [00:01:17]: JoolDiver 1 Debris crashed into Kerbin.
[LOG 17:47:28.543] radialDecoupler2 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 17:47:28.559] [radialDecoupler2]: Deactivated
[LOG 17:47:28.584] JoolDiver 1 Debris Unloaded
[LOG 17:47:28.585] Packing JoolDiver 1 Debris for orbit
[LOG 17:47:28.590] 1 explosions created.
[LOG 17:47:28.613] ObT : NaN
M : NaN
E : NaN
V : NaN
Radius: NaN
vel: [NaN, NaN, NaN]
AN: [0.556958598038063, 0.830540257947485, 0]
period: NaN

[WRN 17:47:28.614] [OrbitDriver Warning!]: JoolDiver 1 Debris had a NaN Orbit and was removed.
[EXC 17:47:28.636] NullReferenceException
[LOG 17:47:28.678] [F: 22592]: radialDecoupler2 collided into model_launchpad_ground_collider_v46 - relative velocity: 26.1513 - no impact momentum (no RB)
[LOG 17:47:28.679] radialDecoupler2 Exploded!! - blast awesomeness: 0.5
[LOG 17:47:28.680] [radialDecoupler2]: Deactivated
[LOG 17:47:28.686] [F: 22592]: [00:01:17]: TT-70 Radial Decoupler collided into Launch Pad.
[EXC 17:47:28.704] NullReferenceException
[LOG 17:47:28.711] 1 explosions created.
[EXC 17:47:28.753] NullReferenceException

It is probably fallout from whatever triggered the OrbitDriver warning.  There seems to be some sketchy code in KSP 1.1.2 in that regards (it's caused never-ended headaches for MechJeb).  That said, I shouldn't be allowing the exceptions to run unchecked, so I'll make some changes in the code for the next release (which, at this point, will be after KSP 1.1.3 shows up).

34 minutes ago, Enceos said:

@MOARdV What is this setting?

It looks like that setting controls whether only the targeted vessel is rendered by DistantVessel (renderMode = 0), or all vessels are rendered (renderMode = 1).  It shows up in the UI as "Render All Unloaded Vessels" or "Render Targeted Vessel Only".

I would guess that Rubber Ducky may have had other modes planned down the road before he moved on.

5 hours ago, TheRagingIrishman said:

@MOARdV could you please move the settings.cfg file in /GameData/DistantObject to /GameData/DistantObject/PluginData (it plays MUCH better with Module Manager if you do this)

to clarify, if MM detects a change in any file not in a PluginData folder it will dump and rebuild its entire cache the next time the game loads

8 minutes ago, Gaiiden said:

to clarify, if MM detects a change in any file not in a PluginData folder it will dump and rebuild its entire cache the next time the game loads

Ya and seeing as my various installs of KSP use about 33000 MM changes, it's a five-minute difference in load time depending on whether it uses the cache or reloads it 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.