[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

• 2 weeks later...

@MOARdV

If I see this correct in the distant object netkan file, it is pulled out of the version file in your release download. You have ksp_version=1.2.0 and ksp_version_min=1.2.0, so for CKAN it's 1.2.0 only.

It would work with ksp_version_min=1.2.0 and ksp_version=1.2.2, which requires a version file update each new KSP version. Alternatively add a ksp_version_max=1.2.99. However, that's just by my observations, but I think it should be correct. :)

10 hours ago, Jebs_SY said:

It would work with ksp_version_min=1.2.0 and ksp_version=1.2.2, which requires a version file update each new KSP version. Alternatively add a ksp_version_max=1.2.99. However, that's just by my observations, but I think it should be correct. :)

I can update those values on GitHub, but it's not worth releasing a new version of the mod simply to bump the version file.  The primary reason I don't set the version max to a future version (such as 1.2.99) is that KSP has released mod-breaking changes in the past.

Hi there, thanks for your work on this mod.

I'm having an issue with the skybox dynamic dimming settings. If I leave DOE's Skybox dimming check on, then altering the skybox's brightness works as intended.
If I check DOE's skybox dimming setting off though, then the brightness settings no longer have an impact, dimming still occurs, and the skybox becomes very dark and can rarely be seen.

I'm trying to turn off the dimming while keeping the skybox nice and bright, and I can't seem to get both things happening at once.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

heyho happy new year everyone :wink:

today i started building a huuuuuge station (500m diameter) an i ran into the same problem that kerboman25 described on page 13... everything except some stock parts wasn't visible out of physicsrange. so i did some research, starting with googleing the excrements out of that problem (without results except page13 in here) and even reading the source code.

i expected to read a path to the squad folder so no mod parts were included but the code seemed okay (except the missing comments :wink:   ) and i realized that it SHOULD work -.- .

So i did some further testing on clean 1.2.2 install with only doe, b9 parts and opt spaceplane parts installed to check for conflicts in my primary install (still 1.1.3). Same problem, nothing except some stock parts visible. 

While testing i realized that even the stock 3.75m fuel tank wasnt shown, the 2.5m orange tank was, so even some stock parts showed that problem.

After comparing the cfg files of both tanks i came to the conclusion that every part that has a mesh defined

(e.g.:

PART
{
    name = fuelTank3-2
    module = Part
    author = NovaSilisko
    mesh = model.mu
    rescaleFactor = 1

)

would show up above 2.5km distance, and every part that has the mesh defined only via a MODEL function

(e.g.:

MODEL
    {
        model = Squad/Parts/FuelTank/Size3Tanks/Size3LargeTank
    }

)

wouldnt show up!

Solution for me: i added the mesh definition on a part cfg without it.

(e.g.:

PART
{
    // --- general parameters ---
    name = B9_Structure_HX2_A_S1_B
    module = Part
    author = bac9
    mesh=model_hx_size2_adapter_size1_b.mu
    // --- asset parameters ---

)

i left the MODEL function in this file too and ("taadaaa") i can see my huge station now from more 25km getting bigger and bigger :D 

what i want to say here: maybe you've never seen those problems with the distant rendering, maybe its just my pc and noone else except kerboman25 and myself experienced this... but if it's possible could you modify your vessel rendering so it uses the MODEL function OR the mesh definition? (would make sense to include both variations). it would be a pain the a** to switch to 1.2.* and modify every part cfg file to make the distant rendering work :D 

Edit: After welding the parts for the station i encountered another problem -.- welded parts use a lot of whose MODEL functions with location parameters, so they won't show up whatever i do... i've been looking into your source code again since that and with my almost non existing programming skills i realized that you use a meshlist (i guess ksp creates it on startup?) to get all parts available. I suppose it is possible but harder to get a similar list from the MODEL functions within the part configs? If it is doable, would it be possible too to load parts with mutiple models (especially welded parts?)? It would bring the distant vessel rendering to a whole new level of awesomeness :D 

(And if i could ask for a personal favor too, if you can and will do the adjustments i suggested, could you recompile a version for 1.1.3 too? :D

Edited by darthrion

21 hours ago, darthrion said:

what i want to say here: maybe you've never seen those problems with the distant rendering

You are referring to vessel rendering, and not the flare rendering, correct?  That code is essentially untouched since Rubber Ducky implemented it.  I've never used it, so I would not be surprised if there are bugs in it since KSP has changed quite a bit since the feature was implemented.  I'll look into it and see what it takes to fix, but no promise on when - I've been quite busy, and this mod is not my top KSP priority.

21 hours ago, darthrion said:

could you recompile a version for 1.1.3 too?

No, sorry.  Having to maintain backwards compatibility more than doubles the support burden.  I can't justify spending that much extra time to support outdated versions of the game.

• 3 weeks later...

Having an issue with the skybox not smoothly fading in and out during sunrise/set. After just a few hours of pitch blackness the stars just pop in. I tried every setting variant I couldnt with DistantObject. I think ive had this issue before, but i cant remember what the solution was. Using Pood's Deep Star Map Skybox.            LOG                       output_log 

Mod List.

Edited by Motokid600

12 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Having an issue with the skybox not smoothly fading in and out during sunrise/set. After just a few hours of pitch blackness the stars just pop in. I tried every setting variant I couldnt with DistantObject. I think ive had this issue before, but i cant remember what the solution was. Using Pood's Deep Star Map Skybox.            LOG                       output_log 

Mod List.

I assume you are in orbit, correct?  With sunrise, are you facing directly at or near the sun?  Or are you facing the planet?  Stock KSP controls skybox dimming when facing the sun, which is something DoE doesn't control.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I assume you are in orbit, correct?  With sunrise, are you facing directly at or near the sun?  Or are you facing the planet?  Stock KSP controls skybox dimming when facing the sun, which is something DoE doesn't control.

No this is from the ground. Theres always been a smooth transition from day to night with the skybox smoothly fading in as the sun sets/fading out as it rises. Looked like it does in real life. It was a beautiful effect. Now the stars just abruptly switch on after a few hours of darkness. From orbit the DistantObject behavior seems normal.  A Scatterer issue perhaps?

Edited by Motokid600

6 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

No this is from the ground. Theres always been a smooth transition from day to night with the skybox smoothly fading in as the sun sets/fading out as it rises. Looked like it does in real life. It was a beautiful effect. Now the stars just abruptly switch on after a few hours of darkness. From orbit the DistantObject behavior seems normal.  A Scatterer issue perhaps?

If it works fine from orbit, I'd be inclined to say it's not DoE - it does not do anything special for views from a planetary surface.

Sorry about being a pest :P But I was wondering. Is it possible to make it so the sky dimming occurs strictly when the camera is in the sun? Not just looking at it. Id like to only see stars when I'm in the shade of a planet or my spacecraft.

Edited by Motokid600

12 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Sorry about being a pest :P But I was wondering. Is it possible to make it so the sky dimming occurs strictly when the camera is in the sun? Not just looking at it. Id like to only see stars when I'm in the shade of a planet or my spacecraft.

Stock KSP controls sky dimming in relation to the sun.  It would be possible to add more dimming such that any time the sun is in frame the sky dims through this mod, but I would have to account for the dimming that stock already does, and make sure that stock doesn't get confused because of the mod's additional dimming.  All of which sounds like a bit of a hack to get working, and I'm not particularly interested in sorting it out.  If someone else wants to work out the code, and take ownership for maintaining it as well, I'm be willing to accept a pull request.  But I wouldn't provide support for it.

TL;DR: Yeah, it's possible, but someone else would have to do it.

4 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Stock KSP controls sky dimming in relation to the sun.  It would be possible to add more dimming such that any time the sun is in frame the sky dims through this mod, but I would have to account for the dimming that stock already does, and make sure that stock doesn't get confused because of the mod's additional dimming.  All of which sounds like a bit of a hack to get working, and I'm not particularly interested in sorting it out.  If someone else wants to work out the code, and take ownership for maintaining it as well, I'm be willing to accept a pull request.  But I wouldn't provide support for it.

TL;DR: Yeah, it's possible, but someone else would have to do it.

Oh I see. Thanks for the repose. I was just curious if it was something that could be easily done through the settings. I can get by without it :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I saw this on an earlier post but I am seeing flares through Kerbol.  I do have OPM installed so it might be an issue with Kopernicus, and I didn't test it in stock.  Previously it was mentioned that this was fixed and became broken again, just wondering if that was the case this time or if there's a mod incompatibility. 

On 2/15/2017 at 3:15 PM, natsirt721 said:

Hello, I saw this on an earlier post but I am seeing flares through Kerbol.  I do have OPM installed so it might be an issue with Kopernicus, and I didn't test it in stock.  Previously it was mentioned that this was fixed and became broken again, just wondering if that was the case this time or if there's a mod incompatibility. 

It could be a mod incompatibility, but I *think* the main problem is that the radius of Kerbol and the rendered sun effect do not match.  That is, I think the radius that is reported is much smaller than what is drawn on screen, and DOE has no way of knowing that there's a difference.  Of course, there's also the possibility that I messed something up, but I haven't spotted the problem if that is what it is.

Thank you for maintaining this mod MOARdv...it is one of my 'must haves'! :)

Question:  Is there any way to increase the font size on planet/moon etc. hover over?  It is quite small and I would live to bump it up in size a notch.   I did not see anything in the config file and no info turned up on my searches (aka: I am pretty useless) so am curious if this is possible...or maybe something to consider adding to the next update?.

Thanks a ton!

Edited by Red Stapler
boldingness stuff

• 2 weeks later...

Hey @MOARdV . I've got a question, Right now I'm dealing with lag using DOE, Even though I'm only trying to use it for the purposes of displaying a thousand suns!

(In other words, As developer of TBG, I've been trying to use DOE as a method of displaying stars at a long distance. It becomes quite laggy when loading several hundred stars. I'm highly confused by this as DOE seems like a mod that would have a tiny memory footprint. Can you give me some tips here?)

24 minutes ago, Captainpilot747 said:

Can you see re-entering spacecraft from a distance with this mod? Can you see the re-entry effects themselves? I would love to see a spacecraft aero-brake above the ksc!

You can see small spacecraft from distance, yes. I frequently see satellites passing above me before launch.

I don't think you see reentry effects, tho. I mean, if you're far enough that the game wouldn't usually render them (outside physics range), then the physics will simply delete the ship once it's in considerable atmosphere.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/7/2017 at 4:32 AM, daniel l. said:

Hey @MOARdV . I've got a question, Right now I'm dealing with lag using DOE, Even though I'm only trying to use it for the purposes of displaying a thousand suns!

(In other words, As developer of TBG, I've been trying to use DOE as a method of displaying stars at a long distance. It becomes quite laggy when loading several hundred stars. I'm highly confused by this as DOE seems like a mod that would have a tiny memory footprint. Can you give me some tips here?)

It's laggy because it has to check every single "body" for occlusion against the body your craft currently orbits.  Otherwise, you'd see essentially see through nearby planets.  The algorithm isn't the most efficient, and it's single-threaded, so there is probably room for improvement, but that's not currently a priority for rewriting.

1 minute ago, MOARdV said:

It's laggy because it has to check every single "body" for occlusion against the body your craft currently orbits.  Otherwise, you'd see essentially see through nearby planets.  The algorithm isn't the most efficient, and it's single-threaded, so there is probably room for improvement, but that's not currently a priority for rewriting.

Ah damn... Oh well. I'll have to see if Scatterer can do it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.