[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

Will there will be any issues if I add this mod to my current install, such as problems with the career mode I am working on?  I am running KSP Interstellar, B9 Aerospace, KW Rocketry, K&K Planetary Bases, TAC Life Support, KIS, KAS, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and KER.  Thank you for your help.

On 10/2/2017 at 6:37 PM, HeliosPh0enix said:

Will there will be any issues if I add this mod to my current install, such as problems with the career mode I am working on?  I am running KSP Interstellar, B9 Aerospace, KW Rocketry, K&K Planetary Bases, TAC Life Support, KIS, KAS, Docking Port Alignment Indicator, Kerbal Alarm Clock, and KER.  Thank you for your help.

DOE doesn't change anything about the game mechanics, just how things look in space.  It's purely cosmetics.  Think of it as EVE for vacuum.  So no problems adding it to an existing game.

@MOARdV, I have a question that's not totally about DOE---it affects DOE along with many other things, specifically those with overlays, which I'm usually not seeing.  With DOE, I'm not seeing the mouse-over object name text even though I have that option enabled.  But I'm also not seeing ship/target HUD info, planet rings, and a variety of other overlays.  Do you know what might be causing this?  Thanks.

58 minutes ago, Geschosskopf said:

DOE doesn't change anything about the game mechanics, just how things look in space.  It's purely cosmetics.  Think of it as EVE for vacuum.  So no problems adding it to an existing game.

@MOARdV, I have a question that's not totally about DOE---it affects DOE along with many other things, specifically those with overlays, which I'm usually not seeing.  With DOE, I'm not seeing the mouse-over object name text even though I have that option enabled.  But I'm also not seeing ship/target HUD info, planet rings, and a variety of other overlays.  Do you know what might be causing this?  Thanks.

With DOE, mouse-over names only appear for worlds / ships that are not loaded.  Provided the target is distant, you should see the name (it works for me, as the famous last words say).  If it's not working, and other mod overlays aren't either, it suggests (most likely) a mod is misbehaving, maybe throwing exceptions at a point in the game loop that's preventing other mods from doing their thing.  That's entirely speculation, and it could be totally wrong, of course.  Your best bet is to look in the KSP log and see if you can find any text like '[EXC' or '[ERR', or post the log somewhere with a link.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

With DOE, mouse-over names only appear for worlds / ships that are not loaded.  Provided the target is distant, you should see the name (it works for me, as the famous last words say).  If it's not working, and other mod overlays aren't either, it suggests (most likely) a mod is misbehaving, maybe throwing exceptions at a point in the game loop that's preventing other mods from doing their thing.  That's entirely speculation, and it could be totally wrong, of course.  Your best bet is to look in the KSP log and see if you can find any text like '[EXC' or '[ERR', or post the log somewhere with a link.

Thanks!

4 hours ago, [insert_name_here] said:

I know that, even though you can see other spacecraft from up to 750km away, they are still on rails. But how much of a framerate impact should I expect this to have on my game? Otherwise, it sounds like a great mod.

Using the planet and vessel flares, it has no impact on framerate that I can detect.  If you use the distant vessel rendering, I don't actually know - I've never used that feature. It was part of the mod when I started maintaining it, but it rarely gets mentioned around here.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 4:57 PM, Galileo said:

Would it possible for the settings cfg to be accessible via MM in the future? 

I don't plan to.  The configs are intended to be UI accessible so the player can make adjustments to the game settings to suit his/her tastes. They were put in PluginData expressly to be hidden from MM to avoid triggering MM rebuilds if the player tweaks settings in the UI.  I'd also prefer not to have external MM nodes tweaking the user's settings, since that leads to impossible-to-diagnose bug reports.

• 3 weeks later...

If I were to build a new planet and spawn it into the game, would this mod automatically make a flare for it based on the most prevalent/average color and use it?

If not, is there a certain color I would have to designate in a config in said planet file?

Edited by Pavel ☭

45 minutes ago, Pavel ☭ said:

If I were to build a new planet and spawn it into the game, would this mod automatically make a flare for it based on the most prevalent/average color and use it?

If not, is there a certain color I would have to designate in a config in said planet file?

You would have to include a config file with your planet's mod to define the color.  Otherwise, it'd be plain white.  Take a look at PlanetColors.cfg in GameData/DistantObject, or any of the several examples in "Alternate Planet Color Configs" in the zip file.  One thing to note - you do *not* need to name the config file PlanetColors.cfg or overwrite the existing cfg file.  As long as it's a config file, and it contains a CelestialBodyColor for your planet, it's good.

• 3 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

Umm, when i look at the sun's direction, even if it's obscured by some celestial body, the whole sky box goes black, is it related to this mod or not? if yes, is there any way to fix it?

Umm, turn off the dynamic sky dimming. It’s in the DOE menu.

Edited by Galileo

5 hours ago, Jiraiyah said:

Umm, when i look at the sun's direction, even if it's obscured by some celestial body, the whole sky box goes black, is it related to this mod or not? if yes, is there any way to fix it?

Sun dimming is part of stock KSP.  DOE's dimming *should* only happen when an illuminated Celestial Body is in view (like when you're in orbit over Kerbin).  Turning off dynamic sky dimming shouldn't affect things, unless some of the assumptions DOE makes were broken by a KSP update.

On 1/11/2018 at 4:56 PM, MOARdV said:

Sun dimming is part of stock KSP.  DOE's dimming *should* only happen when an illuminated Celestial Body is in view (like when you're in orbit over Kerbin).  Turning off dynamic sky dimming shouldn't affect things, unless some of the assumptions DOE makes were broken by a KSP update.

hmm is there a way to disable vanilla sun dimming?

55 minutes ago, Jiraiyah said:

hmm is there a way to disable vanilla sun dimming?

I do not know of a way.  If someone does, I'd like to know about it.  I'd disable vanilla sun dimming when DOE is installed, and let the mod handle all of it.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, kivikallo said:

Umm... I did everything right but nothing works...

Then you probably didn't do something right.  But you'll need to provide more information about what you did if you want someone to help you figure out why it doesn't work.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Motokid600 said:

Ive been getting in the habit of sliding the skybox brightness back and forth from 0 - 100 when in the light and shadow. Would there be anyway to automate this? Maybe something through the solar panel "in sunlight" flag?

You're sliding it to 0 in light and 100 in shadow?  Or the other way around?  The sky dimming feature is supposed to adjust skybox brightness from whatever your maximum brightness setting is (in the UI) to 0 (or close to zero) when a celestial body is in the camera view while being lit by the sun.

The sky dimming doesn't do what I want and that's strictly not seeing stars when the camera is in sunlight. Not just looking at sunlight or at a celestial object. So I slide the brightness to 0 so theres is no stars no matter where I look. Then only when im in shadow do I slide it to 100% to see stars. Like on the dark side of a planet or when the camera goes into the shade of the spacecraft. It'd just be nice if this could be automated by being tied to some kind of "in_sunlight" flag or sorts. Maybe via the solar panels. So for instance if my solar panels are getting light. The skybox should be dimmed to zero.

Edited by Motokid600

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, failurecascade said:

In case anyone else was wondering, Distant Object v1.9.1 seems to work well in KSP 1.4.1.

I'm not so sure. I installed it, and now I can't see planet from space anymore.... Unfortunately something saved into my persistent file, so removing distant objects did not fix it. :o(

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.