[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

On 4/16/2017 at 7:47 AM, Teilnehmer said:

‘Show names on mouse over’ is a nice option.

Is it possible to make it work with not-so-distant objects too? (E. g. Mun from Kerbin)

I'm pretty sure it's possible, although I would need to go review the code to make sure.

Also, @MOARdV...2 questions related to above (show names on mouse hover)....

1. Is it possible to make the mouse hover font larger?  I could not find anything to edit in the settings file (or info on if it is even possible via a search).

2.  Is there any way to make the planet/moon names 'stick' or display permanently on the screen rather than just during a mouse hover?

If not, maybe these can be considered for a future release if they are deemed 'worthy'? :)

Regardless, thank you for an awesome mod!!!!

Edited by Red Stapler

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there everyone,  I am attempting an SSRSS install, so far so good.    There is a folder in this mod called:

Alternate Planet Color Configs\Real Solar System (default)

Does that only apply to the full RSS or would it work for SSRSS?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/12/2017 at 7:04 AM, gamerscircle said:

Hi there everyone,  I am attempting an SSRSS install, so far so good.    There is a folder in this mod called:

I don't actually know -- I don't use the alternate planet mods.  Those configs were part of Distant Object Enhancement when I took over maintaining it, and I haven't really touched them since.

Distant Object Enhancement 1.9.0 is out for KSP 1.3.0.  No real feature changes - just a recompile so it'll work.  I did a very cursory check, so hopefully there wasn't something esoteric that I missed.  Although I guess localization support would be nice (and simple)...

On 2017-5-12 at 1:04 PM, gamerscircle said:

I also made a install of SSRSS and it's already prepared for Distant Object Enhancement, you don't need to install anything else besides the Distant Object Enhancement mod.
:wink:

@MOARdV Could you make it more clear which option is selected under distant vessel rendering? When you click the "rendered targeted vessel" button the txt on the button changes to "render all unloaded vessels, and the ignore debris option disappears. It isn't clear to me which state the option is in like this.

Edited by Errol

12 hours ago, Errol said:

@MOARdV Could you make it more clear which option is selected under distant vessel rendering? When you click the "rendered targeted vessel" button the txt on the button changes to "render all unloaded vessels, and the ignore debris option disappears. It isn't clear to me which state the option is in like this.

I really should change that to a pair of radio buttons or a drop down list, so it's not violating basic usability rules.  I'm not up to speed on the Unity GUI code, so it'll be a bit before I get it done.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
20 hours ago, oguz said:

Hello! Is there an option for always showing name texts of the planets/moons in every distance, even when mouse is not over?

No, there isn't.  Names are available only on mouse over.

On 6/17/2017 at 8:16 AM, Deplaisant said:

Hi ! 

I've turned the flare distance to the maximum but flares appear only at 50km. How can i boost it ? I'd like to make flares appear at least at 400km 

Sorry I missed this when you posted.  Vessel flare visibility depends on a couple of factors: how large the craft is, and where the sun is relative to the flare and the viewer.  Flares are not visible in the shadow of a planet, and they can be very hard to see on the daylight side.  Flares are usually easiest to see shortly before sunrise, and shortly after sunset, much like you see when satellite spotting from the ground.

• 2 weeks later...

Distant (and not so distant) vessels are not rendering at all for me. I've tried turning on "Distant vessel rendering" on numerous occasions when attempting to rendezvous with other ships, and I still can only see ships that I have targeted, and only by the colored box that brackets my target. Doesn't work when I'm controlling a ship, nor when I'm EVA and looking for a nearby ship. And I'm talking real close, like 400-1,000 meters away they're still impossible to see on the dark side of a planetary body.

11 hours ago, Targa said:

Distant (and not so distant) vessels are not rendering at all for me. I've tried turning on "Distant vessel rendering" on numerous occasions when attempting to rendezvous with other ships, and I still can only see ships that I have targeted, and only by the colored box that brackets my target. Doesn't work when I'm controlling a ship, nor when I'm EVA and looking for a nearby ship. And I'm talking real close, like 400-1,000 meters away they're still impossible to see on the dark side of a planetary body.

It sounds like your expectation of what this mod does may not match what it's intended to do.  DOE provides a way to see planets at great distances, and it provides a couple of ways to spot vessels outside of the KSP vessel loading distance of about 2km:

Distant Vessel Rendering draws a ship when it is at extreme distances - beyond the vessel loading distance - so that very large space stations / space craft won't suddenly appear at that distance when they're loaded.

Vessel Flares draw a point of light that represents the sun reflecting off of the vessel.  In both cases, you're not going to see the distant vessel or flare on the dark side of a planetary body, because it's dark.  The vessel you want to see needs to be illuminated by the sun, and it needs to be at an angle where you can see the light reflect off of it, and you need to be in a position where the sunlight isn't overwhelming your field of view.  The best spotting times / positions tend to be when you have passed the sunset, or are approaching sunrise, and the sun is still above the horizon from the point of view of the vessel flare.  There are other combinations of positions that work, but all of them require the vessel you're trying to see to be illuminated by sunlight.

Yesterday was the first time - while taking screenshots during the landing of a probe coming back to Kerbin - that I saw one of my objects in orbit from the surface; KSS Alpha swooping over us, lit by the impending dawn. :o

2 hours ago, SleweD said:

Did this ever get fixed? I'm still seeing this issue in 1.3 with the latest DOE and Kopernicus.

1). Install both mods

2). Switch to a vessel in orbit

3). Skybox dims if you're looking with the planet in view but doesn't dim when looking only at the sun.

I'm hoping it's just a missing cfg line to fix it!

Just quoting something I asked in the Kopernicus topic. I was told to ask here too.

31 minutes ago, SleweD said:

Just quoting something I asked in the Kopernicus topic. I was told to ask here too.

DOE does not control dimming the skybox when facing the sun.  That is a stock behavior that (I assume) Kopernicus is overriding.

Although maybe I should see if DOE can take that over from stock so it's consistent.

• 1 month later...

Hey, I had a question about the sun in relation to skybox dimming - there is some odd behavior with the skybox not dimming when the sun is in view in flight mode. Also in map view I'd think that the skybox would be dimmed when viewing the day-side of a body with the sun behind the camera, and inversely the skybox would be lit when vieweing the night-side of a body with the sun obscured behind it?

Excuse the horrendous generated thumbnail please :blush:

1 hour ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hey, I had a question about the sun in relation to skybox dimming - there is some odd behavior with the skybox not dimming when the sun is in view in flight mode. Also in map view I'd think that the skybox would be dimmed when viewing the day-side of a body with the sun behind the camera, and inversely the skybox would be lit when vieweing the night-side of a body with the sun obscured behind it?

Excuse the horrendous generated thumbnail please :blush:

Skybox dimming because of the sun is a stock KSP feature.  If I knew how to take over that functionality, I would have DOE manage it, but currently, it doesn't.  Although it looks like there is no dimming, so one of the mods you are using must be affecting it.

5 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Skybox dimming because of the sun is a stock KSP feature.  If I knew how to take over that functionality, I would have DOE manage it, but currently, it doesn't.  Although it looks like there is no dimming, so one of the mods you are using must be affecting it.

Huh... I'll report back with which mod is causing the issue then - many thanks :)

Edited by Avera9eJoe

2 hours ago, Matou1612 said:

So... this mod increase the render distance of 2.5 km? I'm sorry, English isn't my first language and i did not understood this very well...

No, this mod does not change render distance.  It draws small circles where the planets are, and it makes white dots where space ships are, like looking into the sky in the night and seeing a satellite fly over.

• 3 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.