[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

This is normal behavior.

To see the skybox you should be on planet darkside or free of sun / shiny planet's surface.

IRC the dim skybox slider used to have at least some bearing on the magnitude of the effect. Or the on/off toggle for that matter. This is no longer the case; I'm curious why.

IRC the dim skybox slider used to have at least some bearing on the magnitude of the effect. Or the on/off toggle for that matter. This is no longer the case; I'm curious why.

The toggle and the slider should both affect behavior. You may need to switch to the space center and back to flight again for it to take effect. I will look at the code this week and see if there's something going on that I missed earlier.

The toggle and the slider should both affect behavior. You may need to switch to the space center and back to flight again for it to take effect. I will look at the code this week and see if there's something going on that I missed earlier.

It definitely seems to be linked somehow to Scatterer. The effect goes away with it removed.

It definitely seems to be linked somehow to Scatterer. The effect goes away with it removed.

Hmm. I wonder if Scatterer is doing something with the skybox as well. I keep meaning to look at that mod, since I've done some atmospheric scattering shaders in the past.

Does DOE still render flares for vessels? I haven't been able to spot one recently in the appropriate conditions, with or without Distant Vessel Rendering on.

Yes - I've seen them a number of times during test flights. There was a bug that caused certain flares to be rendered when they shouldn't that I fixed a while back (mostly affecting lighter / smaller objects). I may go back and revisit the flare renderer to make them brighter (and thus more visible).

What are the conditions that go into whether they're visible? I'll try to track down if it's some other mod messing them up.

Mass of the ship / debris (which is used as an approximation of size), angle from the viewer to the debris and angle from the debris towards the sun, distance.

So, I've discovered some odd behavior. I noticed I was getting unidentifiable (no tag on mouseover) flares in odd places. So I started testing.

From my KSS, a ~40ton station in LKO, I waited until sunrise, and then left it in a capsule towards the sun.

As I burned away from the KSS, it left physics range, and disappeared, but was identified on mouseover. Eventually, I noticed a flare way west of it, with no mouseover, slowly moving east, and eventually catching up to where the KSS's actual location is.

I went to the Space Center, then went back into the flight, and the flare was gone. I didn't notice a replacement coming to catch up to it before it went over the horizon.

Note this was with distant vessel rendering disabled.

Tried the same thing after a few orbits and other activities - this time the flare appeared shortly after it left render distance, but was offset by, oh, 1-5km prograde. So...

Okay. It sounds like there's something messed up in the flare position code. I'll look at it when I can.

I just saw that you moved the flares back from layer 10 to layer 0: why? what was the issue?

Maybe you can try layer 15 instead which might make more sense with the way DOE flares are positioned in space.

http://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/API:Layers

Thanks for that link - I've been trying to find something that identified the layers, and I haven't had any luck.

Hi

The log gets spammed with these:

EXC 12:10:14.446] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[EXC 12:10:14.559] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[EXC 12:10:14.671] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[EXC 12:10:14.759] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[EXC 12:10:14.856] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[EXC 12:10:14.947] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

[EXC 12:10:15.029] FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'DistantObject, Version=1.5.4.21166, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies.

Serious?

I just saw that you moved the flares back from layer 10 to layer 0: why? what was the issue?

Maybe you can try layer 15 instead which might make more sense with the way DOE flares are positioned in space.

The issue I ran into is that I saw some phantom flares showing up (they moved like the flares did, but in the wrong place, like there was a scaling problem somewhere; they were also all white in the case of planet flares) I tried 15, and I still see them occasionally. There's something messed up in the flare placement code, and I don't know Unity well enough to solve it quickly, so it's been on the back burner.

Hi

The log gets spammed with these:

Serious?

1.5.4 is not the current version of Distant Object, and I have not seen that problem. Try updating to the current version and make sure it's installed correctly.

Hi

I now updated to 1.5.5 but the error still does appear.

Are you sure it's installed in the correct place? A FileNotFoundException would indicate to me that KSP can't find some part of DOE, probably because it's not in the right place.

I'm noticing that dynamic sky dimming is causing the skybox to dim when it shouldn't. Specifically, if I point the camera toward the sun even though the sun is occluded by a planet, the skybox still dims. I can post an issue to Github; just not sure of your preferred method of reporting.

I'm noticing that dynamic sky dimming is causing the skybox to dim when it shouldn't. Specifically, if I point the camera toward the sun even though the sun is occluded by a planet, the skybox still dims. I can post an issue to Github; just not sure of your preferred method of reporting.

I prefer GitHub for bug submissions. However, stock KSP dims the skybox when the sun is visible. Please check to see if you see the problem without DOE installed / without skydimming enabled before submitting a bug.

Are you sure it's installed in the correct place? A FileNotFoundException would indicate to me that KSP can't find some part of DOE, probably because it's not in the right place.

I can confirm, same FileNotFoundException spam with the latest 1.5.5 from GitHub...

I can confirm, same FileNotFoundException spam with the latest 1.5.5 from GitHub...

I am going to need a full log file - it doesn't happen for me here, so there's another piece to the puzzle.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't really like the sky dimming option and can't disable it. I have unchecked the box with dynamic sky dimming, but it will still dim the stars when looking towards the sun. Any advice on this?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.