[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

1 hour ago, Warezcrawler said:

I'm not so sure. I installed it, and now I can't see planet from space anymore.... Unfortunately something saved into my persistent file, so removing distant objects did not fix it. :o(

Do you have scatterer installed in 1.4.1? Because that’s a scatterer bug in 1.4.1.

4 minutes ago, Warezcrawler said:

I'm not so sure. I installed it, and now I can't see planet from space anymore.... Unfortunately something saved into my persistent file, so removing distant objects did not fix it. :o(

Not sure what to tell you.  It's still working fine for me, including the mod's UI window, and displaying planet names when I mouse over them in space.  No nullrefs either, so I'm a happy camper...  :D

Note that I started a new save with 1.4.1.

I know this is not released for 1.4.1 yet, but is it normal that on the dark side of Kerbin no single star is visible, only the moons and the distant planets?
(this is when already low in the atmosphere so no light could disturb the sight)
I turned dynamic dimming off btw...

Edit:

I managed it to work:
I also enabled dynamic sky dimming and set the max. brightness to 72% - which is also the value I made the Envmaps darker than the original skybox textures... :cool:

Because I use

to have my own skybox, I just had the idea that I also could need Envmaps for the skybox - and it works!

To compare, this is in SPC at night (this also worked somehow before, without Envmaps):

Spoiler

9c67dNy.png

And this is how it looks shortly after launch at ~16,000m altitude at about the same time (now it works, thank to the Envmaps):

Spoiler

32NFREe.png

Edited by Gordon Dry

I too am curious how this is working with 1.4.1; this and kerbal engineer are the only mods I got left that havent officially updated.

Is anyone using a similar mod? I would think this mod would be really popular but I dont see a whole lot following or posting here. Have people switched to something different?

@MOARdV I posted an issue at scatterer because with the new version there is this problem that also this mod is involved in.

Spoiler

• With scatterer and Distant Object Enhancement I don't see the skybox at night sky from SPC or at the launchpad at all
  • Without scatterer but with Distant Object Enhancement I have to disable the Dynamic Sky Dimming to get the skybox visible at night sky from SPC or launchpad

PlanetShine is also installed.

I suggest that this mod allows showing the skybox from the planet surface or low altitude when still on the night side of the planet and no sunrise or sunset in sight ...

i have a problem whit sky dimming of distant object enhacments,

i play whit a planet pack that modify the changes the solar sistem and the sun is replaced by an object called the all and kerbin whit sun now is in another location.

i have sky dimming only when i pass in front off the all so i have in some moments the sky dimmed at nigni side of kerbin beouse i have the all (old sun location) bihind me

any solutions?

• 4 weeks later...

Is it normal for the flares this mod adds to bodies and objects to stop working when the game is running in OpenGL mode?

Herp derp, course they wouldn't work in map mode.

Edited by Cyrious

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/31/2018 at 4:11 PM, Gordon Dry said:

@MOARdV I posted an issue at scatterer because with the new version there is this problem that also this mod is involved in.

Reveal hidden contents

• With scatterer and Distant Object Enhancement I don't see the skybox at night sky from SPC or at the launchpad at all
  • Without scatterer but with Distant Object Enhancement I have to disable the Dynamic Sky Dimming to get the skybox visible at night sky from SPC or launchpad

PlanetShine is also installed.

I suggest that this mod allows showing the skybox from the planet surface or low altitude when still on the night side of the planet and no sunrise or sunset in sight ...

@Gordon Dry, did anything ever get resolved on this?  Is there a band-aid solution posted anywhere?

15 hours ago, KSPrynk said:

did anything ever get resolved on this?  Is there a band-aid solution posted anywhere?

It's not easy to say.

Often it's okay.

Than it's not.

Checking the log I don't see anything suspicious, so it's a "non-logger" ...

• 2 months later...

I have a few questions. First, I understand skybox dimming, but why do no stars appear at night on kerbin?

Second, is there any way to increase the distance beyond 750000? 

Third, Saturation doesn't seem to do anything for me. Why?

Edited by Rusted Iron

7 hours ago, Rusted Iron said:

I have a few questions. First, I understand skybox dimming, but why do no stars appear at night on kerbin?

Very likely a bug.  I have been very busy with other mods in my spare time, so I have not looked at this mod in about a year.

Second, is there any way to increase the distance beyond 750000? 

Right now, it requires changing the source code and rebuilding.  750km was selected as a reasonable number for most vessels in orbit over stock Kerbin (except maybe large space stations).  One problem with increasing the distance is that the flare size may become smaller than 1 pixel on the screen, which will cause it to flicker, depending on anti-aliasing settings.

Third, Saturation doesn't seem to do anything for me. Why?

Saturation affects only body colors (the planet / moon flares). Vessel flares are always white.  Flare saturation only takes effect when starting Flight - if you change it while in Flight, it will not do anything until you go to the Space Center or Tracking Station.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/17/2018 at 5:56 AM, DerpzGames said:

How do I configure a Kopernicus Planet Pack to work with this mod?

I'm sorry I didn't see this question earlier.  I've been pretty busy.

If you look in GameData/DistantObject/PlanetColors.cfg, you will see the basic format for coloring a flare, eg:

CelestialBodyColor
{
	name = Kerbin
	color = 73,99,121
}

This lists the name of the body (the non-localized name) and the R, G, B color triplet that the flare should use.

To add your own flares, create a config file somewhere (with the planet pack, if you're releasing the planet pack) and add CelestialBodyColor entries for each of the worlds you want to have custom colors.  And body that does not have a custom color will have the default color of white (255, 255, 255).

• 2 weeks later...

I've released Distant Object Enhancement v1.9.1.1.  This is a recompile against KSP 1.5.0, but the mod may still work with 1.3.x and 1.4.x.  There are no functional changes, so if you're on one of the older versions of KSP, don't feel compelled to update (actually, you probably don't need to update for KSP 1.5.0).

Also: DOE is free to a good home.  I will not be updating it again any time in the foreseeable future.

I've made no code changes to it for over a year.  I know there is at least one bug related to the sky dimming effect (while on the surface) that's been in the mod throughout the KSP 1.4.x period.  The sky dimming code in DarkenSky.cs could stand to have a scrubbing and refactoring, but I don't have the motivation to do it.  I have barely played KSP since 1.4.0 released - almost every time I started KSP in 1.4.x was for modding purposes. It's time I collect a few parts mods and visual mods and spend some time simply playing the game, instead of spending countless hours tweaking and debugging code and IVAs.  At least, once I have time to revisit KSP for any length of time.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/16/2018 at 7:28 AM, MOARdV said:

It's time I collect a few parts mods and visual mods and spend some time simply playing the game, instead of spending countless hours tweaking and debugging code and IVAs.  At least, once I have time to revisit KSP for any length of time.

Thanks for contributing so much. Glad you hear you're staying in the community as a player. 

20 hours ago, alexus said:

it is night at all time.

The sun never rotates into view? I think there may be more broken than is caused by Distant Objects Enhanced mod. :I

I thought this was a scatterer bug when I first saw it, but realized that's how the game works. The skybox goes away when viewed from the surface in "daytime."

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.