[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
11 hours ago, taniwha said:

@Battou: the sky box going completely black is very realistic (it's why there are no starts in Apollo or day-side LEO photos).

Im not saying its not realistic. Im saying that if we have Max brightness parameter it would be great to have a MIN brightness parameter, so we can adjust appearance to our liking. As a programmer I can tell that adding min boundry is not hard. Perhaps Ill look into source myself.

2 minutes ago, Battou said:

As a programmer I can tell that adding min boundry is not hard. Perhaps Ill look into source myself.

Right now, this is the only way to get this ferature anyway because MOARdV abendoned this mod an nobody else picked it up so far:

On 10/16/2018 at 4:28 PM, MOARdV said:

I've released Distant Object Enhancement v1.9.1.1.  This is a recompile against KSP 1.5.0, but the mod may still work with 1.3.x and 1.4.x.  There are no functional changes, so if you're on one of the older versions of KSP, don't feel compelled to update (actually, you probably don't need to update for KSP 1.5.0).

Also: DOE is free to a good home.  I will not be updating it again any time in the foreseeable future.

I've made no code changes to it for over a year.  I know there is at least one bug related to the sky dimming effect (while on the surface) that's been in the mod throughout the KSP 1.4.x period.  The sky dimming code in DarkenSky.cs could stand to have a scrubbing and refactoring, but I don't have the motivation to do it.  I have barely played KSP since 1.4.0 released - almost every time I started KSP in 1.4.x was for modding purposes. It's time I collect a few parts mods and visual mods and spend some time simply playing the game, instead of spending countless hours tweaking and debugging code and IVAs.  At least, once I have time to revisit KSP for any length of time.

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

How do you pull up the menu 

In the screenshot, do you see the very last button in the toolbar on the right? That's the button of Distant Object Enhancement and it will open the menu

8 hours ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Does not work for me

What's not working? What did you expect and what happend instead? Log file?

12 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

In the screenshot, do you see the very last button in the toolbar on the right? That's the button of Distant Object Enhancement and it will open the menu

What's not working? What did you expect and what happend instead? Log file?

That button is not their

6 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

Where do I find it

On windows, the output_log.txt is here:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

(you can copy&paste the path into the adress bar of any folder)

If you are not on windows, please take a look into this thread, it got a list with the log locations for win, mac and linux:

And please, don't copy&paste the log here. Upload it to a filehoster/cloud and share a download link :)

3 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

On windows, the output_log.txt is here:

%USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program

(you can copy&paste the path into the adress bar of any folder)

If you are not on windows, please take a look into this thread, it got a list with the log locations for win, mac and linux:

And please, don't copy&paste the log here. Upload it to a filehoster/cloud and share a download link :)

When I'm in a position to I will

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried searching, but couldn't find anything about this...  but when using the Distant Vessel Rendering feature of this mod, one or two engine parts sometimes draw strangely.  Specifically, when in 'distant' mode (eg: not normal visual range), they are drawn huge with their fairings on, like 100x what they should be.  Once you get to ~2km, then distant rendering turns off and they are drawn normal again (and the fairings are no longer shown).  This doesn't affect anything other than visuals, of course, but it's distracting and ugly. :(

So far, I have only noticed this happen with the mod "Recycled Parts Atomic Age".  Any clue how I could fix this?  I took a look at the part config, but nothing really jumped out at me...

The part I am sure does this is the "Lightbulb" atomic motor (nuclearEngineLightbulb in GameData\SpaceTuxIndustries\RecycledParts\AtomicAge\Parts\Lightbulb-2).

It has 3 fairing modules in the config:

MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleJettison
		jettisonName = fairing1
		bottomNodeName = bottom
		isFairing = True
		jettisonedObjectMass = 0.1
		jettisonForce = 0
		jettisonDirection = 0 0 0

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleJettison
		jettisonName = fairing2
		bottomNodeName = bottom
		isFairing = True
		jettisonForce = 0

}
	MODULE
	{
		name = ModuleJettison
		jettisonName = fairing3
		bottomNodeName = bottom
		isFairing = True
		jettisonForce = 0

}

the 'isFairing' boolean was actually set to "False" originally, and I changed it to "True" but this didn't seem to do anything.  Anyway, this is about the limit of my knowledge of KSP modding.  Any help would be appreciated!

On 3/13/2019 at 4:17 PM, cjones said:

but when using the Distant Vessel Rendering feature of this mod, one or two engine parts sometimes draw strangely.

It's probably an issue with model scaling.  There were some parts that were created using a very different scale than the game used, and they used the rescaleFactor or scale in the config file to make them match the KSP scale.  I don't remember now if those were stock or modded parts.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

It's probably an issue with model scaling.  There were some parts that were created using a very different scale than the game used, and they used the rescaleFactor or scale in the config file to make them match the KSP scale.  I don't remember now if those were stock or modded parts.

Thank you for this hint!  I took another look at the cfg files for the Atomic Age mod.  None of them had the "scale" key, only the "rescaleFactor".  I went and added "scale = 1" to them and this seems to have gotten rid of the oversized distant objects!  Cheers!

• 1 month later...

For anyone curious, this mod still seems to be mostly functional in 1.7, however I am noticing that when I hover over some of the planets, when it displays the names of the planets the words flicker really fast.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi I really like this mod. But I noticed a visual behavior that I hope could be improved.

When looking in the direction of the sun from behind kerbin, the skybox will dim to very dark. Since you have a "360 degree sunset" there, that's fine.

But if you look in the direction of the sun from behind minmus, which has no atmosphere by default, I see nothing due to the very dark skybox (and other visual mods that make the back side of a planet very dark too). With no source of light whatsoever I would expect to see my skybox stars! Really I would love to see an ominous gap in my star field where stars are expected.

Let me know if this should become a github issue or is a silly gripe!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.