[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

[quote name='peachoftree']Is there any way to make the skybox dimming more sensitive? I would love to be able to have the skybox dimmed even when doing something like looking at a lit up ship. (I'm not afraid of opening up monodevelop if need be)[/QUOTE]

That would be expensive (computationally). Currently, dimming only looks at the planets/moons. To support ships, too, there'd need to be some sort of computation to determine how bright they are and how much of the screen real estate they occupy (updated frequently). I don't know if the additional effort would have worthwhile results, but you're welcome to give it a shot (dimming is in DarkenSky.cs, in the Update method)

Ideally, the game would use high dynamic range screenbuffers, and you could get such dimming for free during HDR -> LDR tonemapping, but that's not in KSP. :(

• 1 month later...
On 02/11/2014 at 4:38 PM, montyben101 said:

YAYAYAYAYAYAY thanks so much! :D

Edit: After acutally using this it is a million times better than the previous version: being able to spot a flare mouse over it and see that its your old station adds so much more to being in space

Awesome feature to this mod. Couldn't agree more mate.

7 hours ago, kerboman25 said:

hi i'm running this mod with stockalike station parts and when i am further than the rendering distance of 2,5 km the parts of that mod start to become invisible is there anyway your mod could make the parts visible from +2,5 km ?

I'm not sure I follow.  DoE (typically) draw flares as substitutes for distant objects.  For vessels, the flares look like dots, similar to the way satellites in LEO look from the ground.  There is also a second mode called Distant Vessel Rendering which will render a vessel at a farther distance.  That mode was present in the original DoE, and it's still in the current release, but I've not done anything notable with that code.  That sounds like what you're asking about, maybe?  There are other mods (or there were, at least) that changed the physics / vessel unloading distance, but that's not something I'll be adding to DoE.

im not sure what you mean but if i get that further rendering distance it wil cause lag right? the only problem i have is that the parts from  the mod become invisible and the other standart parts are sitl visible so i come up whit only seeing the outlines of my station but yea it would be fun to have a longer randering distance but not at the cost of lag.

2 hours ago, kerboman25 said:

im not sure what you mean but if i get that further rendering distance it wil cause lag right? the only problem i have is that the parts from  the mod become invisible and the other standart parts are sitl visible so i come up whit only seeing the outlines of my station but yea it would be fun to have a longer randering distance but not at the cost of lag.

So only the stockalike mod parts disappear at 2,5km?  I don't know why that would happen, and I'm not sure how this mod is involved - DoE doesn't change render distances at all - it reads them, but it does not change them.

• 2 weeks later...

So vessel flares do not work. And I cant remember the last time they did. I thought maybe it had to be something with my hyper modded 64bit install. But I just tested on a stock 32 bit install with only module manager and DistantObjects installed. Planets work, but no vessel flares what so ever.

KSP

Output_log.

Could it be something with my graphical settings? Everything is maxed with the game settings, but I'm using Nivida control center for AA, AF, vsync and the works.

56 minutes ago, Motokid600 said:

So vessel flares do not work. And I cant remember the last time they did. I thought maybe it had to be something with my hyper modded 64bit install. But I just tested on a stock 32 bit install with only module manager and DistantObjects installed. Planets work, but no vessel flares what so ever.

KSP

Output_log.

Could it be something with my graphical settings? Everything is maxed with the game settings, but I'm using Nivida control center for AA, AF, vsync and the works.

It helps to be on the current version of DoE.  Jus' sayin'.

?!... Then I better mention this to Proot I'm using the one packed with the new KSPRC. But I downloaded that.. last night. So your saying this DoE version I'm running is a version before the 21st of November?

Edit: Yep, Wow I'm sorry MOARdv. I downloaded it from GitHub and the vessel flares are back. I gotta tell Proot hes using an old version. Thanks for the help.

Edited by Motokid600

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Actually, while there is some activity here there's something I have noticed and I'm not sure if it is just me but...

Currently, flares seem quite dull and muted, almost grey whereas when I first used this mod they really popped out with some brightness and colour, just like in the pics of the OP. Here's a current screenshot with just D.O.E installed...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/320123842394840026/981C2C1E5560AC4C3B43AE2C18A81430FE2FD33A/

...that's Eve, Duna and Moho...and here's an older shot that sadly only shows Eve...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/35247586659908189/91E16991A4A51DEA1757B9275FBADBE268497000/

Any thoughts?

Edited by Manwith Noname
Changed links

16 hours ago, Whovian41110 said:

Both

The text is a known issue - I had that fixed for a while, but I broke it again.  I haven't seen flares showing up through worlds, so my first suspicion is mods interfering with one another.  Without more info (logs, etc), I don't have any other ideas.

12 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

Actually, while there is some activity here there's something I have noticed and I'm not sure if it is just me but...

Currently, flares seem quite dull and muted, almost grey whereas when I first used this mod they really popped out with some brightness and colour, just like in the pics of the OP. Here's a current screenshot with just D.O.E installed...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/320123842394840026/981C2C1E5560AC4C3B43AE2C18A81430FE2FD33A/

...that's Eve, Duna and Moho...and here's an older shot that sadly only shows Eve...

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/35247586659908189/91E16991A4A51DEA1757B9275FBADBE268497000/

Any thoughts?

There are a few possibilities - flare brightness is alpha modulated, so instead of strictly becoming dimmer, they become more transparent to allow the skybox darkness to dim them.  The shader that's used on the flares may also be de-saturating the color.  I don't think I've ever looked at the specifics of which flare the mod uses.  The flares also moved around between a couple of the Unity layers due to interference from other mods, so that may be involved, too.

Or maybe it's just the aging of the universe causing colors to fade over time. :)

I will look into it some time after the KSP 1.1 / Unity 5 update happens, since that may require other changes, as well.

Righto. I nearly said myself there's probably not a lot of point looking at it until 1.1 and Unity 5 is in use. I'll provide a bit more info though...

On 19/02/2016 at 1:25 PM, MOARdV said:

There are a few possibilities - flare brightness is alpha modulated, so instead of strictly becoming dimmer, they become more transparent to allow the skybox darkness to dim them.  The shader that's used on the flares may also be de-saturating the color.

I can see this when moving the camera around. As the light source that dims the sky becomes more predominant on the screen, the flares themselves do get dimmer. The current screenshot may have some dimming / transparency effect changes going on to the flares but even when they reach their maximum values, they don't appear the same as they once did. To clarify something in case this helps with pointing to changes that might have caused this, this is the 1.6.4 version running on KSP 1.0.5. The older screenshot is 1.5.5 running on KSP 1.0.2.... I'm 99% certain. Sadly, I didn't play about with 1.0.4 that much , or at least, I didn't download many mods for it looking at my archive, so I have no means to check there.

I have played around with the settings in the GUI and while I have been able to make the flares seem more colourful (default saturation isn't 100%), they still don't appear to have that sense of light shining off an object, rather they stay fuzzy muted balls. It's like I'm just looking at the flare texture whereas before, something else was going on. Actually, typing those words I've just had a brainwave....maybe...complete guess but I suspect whatever the model file is (not the texture, the mu) may not be working correctly....or behaving how it once did.

What I'm really curious about and I don't think this should be the case because I took that screenshot in a clean game with fresh unpack of the current version, is this just me experiencing it?

Edited by Manwith Noname
Brainfart

2 hours ago, Manwith Noname said:

What I'm really curious about and I don't think this should be the case because I took that screenshot in a clean game with fresh unpack of the current version, is this just me experiencing it?

No, the colors seem desaturated to me, too. I'd certainly like them to be punchier.  I'll look at it when it's time to make the update.

35 minutes ago, MOARdV said:

No, the colors seem desaturated to me, too. I'd certainly like them to be punchier.  I'll look at it when it's time to make the update.

Well, that makes me feel a bit better. If it is useful, I have this in my logs...

Spoiler

[LOG 16:43:25.382] Distant Object Enhancement v1.6.4 -- FlareDraw enabled
[EXC 16:43:25.388] NullReferenceException
	UnityEngine.Component.GetComponent[ScaledSpaceFader] ()
	DistantObject.FlareDraw.<GenerateBodyFlares>b__1 (UnityEngine.Transform ss)
	System.Linq.Enumerable+<CreateWhereIterator>c__Iterator1D`1[UnityEngine.Transform].MoveNext ()
	System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Transform].AddEnumerable (IEnumerable`1 enumerable)
	System.Collections.Generic.List`1[UnityEngine.Transform]..ctor (IEnumerable`1 collection)
	System.Linq.Enumerable.ToList[Transform] (IEnumerable`1 source)
	DistantObject.FlareDraw.GenerateBodyFlares ()
	DistantObject.FlareDraw.Awake ()
	UnityEngine.GameObject:AddComponent(Type)
	AddonLoader:StartAddon(LoadedAssembly, Type, KSPAddon, Startup)
	AddonLoader:StartAddons(Startup)
	AddonLoader:OnLevelWasLoaded(Int32)
[LOG 16:43:25.391] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'SettingsGui' from assembly 'DistantObject'
[LOG 16:43:25.391] Distant Object Enhancement v1.6.4 -- Drawing toolbar icon...
[LOG 16:43:25.393] AddonLoader: Instantiating addon 'VesselDraw' from assembly 'DistantObject'
[LOG 16:43:25.509] Distant Object Enhancement v1.6.4 -- VesselDraw initialized

...full disclosure though, this was after I had reverted my game back to including all the mods I've been using and the 64bit workaround...so feel free to ignore it. I should have checked the log file from when I put everything back to a clean 32bit game but...I'm a dummy.

4 hours ago, crafty_geek said:

Please update your CKAN metadata to spacedock over the now-defunct Kerbalstuff

I am not involved with CKAN, and I have nothing to do with CKAN metadata.  Please take up CKAN issues with the CKAN staff.

3 hours ago, MOARdV said:

I am not involved with CKAN, and I have nothing to do with CKAN metadata.  Please take up CKAN issues with the CKAN staff.

All you have to do is upload your mod to KerbalStuff's replacement: SpaceDock, there should be a check-box when uploading to have it automatically added to CKAN. . . Thanks for having a backup on github though! Far too many mod-makers uploaded solely to KerbalStuff, so when that site went down, so did their mods. 

3 hours ago, Dusenator said:

All you have to do is upload your mod to KerbalStuff's replacement: SpaceDock, there should be a check-box when uploading to have it automatically added to CKAN. . . Thanks for having a backup on github though! Far too many mod-makers uploaded solely to KerbalStuff, so when that site went down, so did their mods. 

It would actually be far better to do a pull request and update the NetCAN file to point to GitHub. GitHub is not going anywhere soon and SpaceDock is not stable enough to be a reliable center of distribution. But ultimately, it is up to the mod author on whether their mods are distributed via CKAN or not. Judging by the sounds of MOARdV's post, he didn't authorize it. And if he didn't authorize it, the CKAN staff should be obligated to remove the metadata.

Edited by Farix

3 hours ago, Farix said:

It would actually be far better to do a pull request and update the NetCAN file to point to GitHub. GitHub is not going anywhere soon and SpaceDock is not stable enough to be a reliable center of distribution. But ultimately, it is up to the mod author on whether their mods are distributed via CKAN or not. Judging by the sounds of MOARdV's post, he didn't authorize it. And if he didn't authorize it, the CKAN staff should be obligated to remove the metadata.

I checked the checkbox on KerbalStuff to authorize it to generate CKAN info, but that is the extent of my involvement with the CKAN database.  I have no objections to CKAN's process for helping players discover and install mods and wrangle dependencies.  However, I don't have the time to take on support for CKAN-related issues.  Once I migrate to SpaceDock, I expect this particular problem will sort itself out.  Until then, the canonical release will continue to be available on GitHub.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.