[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

MOARdV

7 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I am new to this mod, can someone recommend settings?

Try the defaults, and if you don't like something, change it.

Less flippantly: I personally enable flares and debris flares, with saturation at 100% and size and brightness at 1.  I enable "show names on mouseover".  I disable distant vessel rendering.  I enable skybox dimming, with a max brightness around 45%.  Many of those are defaults, some are not.  Start there, and tweak values to see what you like better.  This is a fairly subjective mod, so you may find different settings better.

4 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Try the defaults, and if you don't like something, change it.

Less flippantly: I personally enable flares and debris flares, with saturation at 100% and size and brightness at 1.  I enable "show names on mouseover".  I disable distant vessel rendering.  I enable skybox dimming, with a max brightness around 45%.  Many of those are defaults, some are not.  Start there, and tweak values to see what you like better.  This is a fairly subjective mod, so you may find different settings better.

I have had this mod before with 1.0.4, but pulled it to help with the ram/unity restriction.  Now that I have a little more wiggle room and not completely understand what the option do and their possible impact on game performance.  Thank you very much for the suggestion, going to try them out and see.

I also didn't know if the changes were dynamic, but they appear to be.

8 hours ago, gamerscircle said:

I have had this mod before with 1.0.4, but pulled it to help with the ram/unity restriction.  Now that I have a little more wiggle room and not completely understand what the option do and their possible impact on game performance.  Thank you very much for the suggestion, going to try them out and see.

I also didn't know if the changes were dynamic, but they appear to be.

There is only one way to really know how different settings will impact your performance:  Turn them on/off and and see what the difference is.

On 4/19/2016 at 5:14 PM, MOARdV said:

KSP 1.1 is here, and so is Distant Object Enhancement v1.7.0.  A couple of minor fixes, a change to make the default saturation 100%, and 1.1 compatibility.  Get it on GitHub.

Yay!

I got hooked on this back in 1.0.5 when playing with OPM.  It's now a must-have by itself.

Distant Object Enhancement v1.7.1 is now available on GitHub.  Vessel flares are no longer black, so you'll actually be able to see them.  I'm surprised no one had noticed that already.  Isn't anyone else spamming low orbit with satellites? :)

9 hours ago, MOARdV said:

Distant Object Enhancement v1.7.1 is now available on GitHub.  Vessel flares are no longer black, so you'll actually be able to see them.  I'm surprised no one had noticed that already.  Isn't anyone else spamming low orbit with satellites? :)

Now I'm outing myself as never understanding what these flare things actually are. Could you explain/show what you mean with these flares?

And now, I'm activly working against nearby space pollution of Kerbin by burning any unnecessary stuff back in the atmosphere. Currently only my space station, a scanner satellite and my interplanetary explorer mothership are in Kerbin's orbit.

Edited by Tekener

1 hour ago, Tekener said:

Now I'm outing myself as never understanding what these flare things actually are. Could you explain/show what you mean with these flares?

And now, I'm activly working against nearby space pollution of Kerbin by burning any unnecessary stuff back in the atmosphere. Currently only my space station, a scanner satellite and my interplanetary explorer mothership are in Kerbin's orbit.

The easiest way to explain what the flares are - those spots of color you may see from orbit with this mod are flares representing the planets and moons (red for Duna, purple for Eve, green for Jool).  The top picture on the first post of this thread shows three planetary flares that are visible from the surface of Kerbin.

If you enable the feature, DoE will also draw flares representing vessels (and, optionally, debris).

It can be a subtle effect, but under the right circumstances, it's like what you can see if you watch the night sky after sunset - little points of light whizzing by representing your satellites, space junk, and whatever else you see fit to place in orbit.  You can also enable labels, so when you hover your mouse over a flare you will see its name.

15 hours ago, MOARdV said:

The easiest way to explain what the flares are - those spots of color you may see from orbit with this mod are flares representing the planets and moons (red for Duna, purple for Eve, green for Jool).  The top picture on the first post of this thread shows three planetary flares that are visible from the surface of Kerbin.

If you enable the feature, DoE will also draw flares representing vessels (and, optionally, debris).

It can be a subtle effect, but under the right circumstances, it's like what you can see if you watch the night sky after sunset - little points of light whizzing by representing your satellites, space junk, and whatever else you see fit to place in orbit.  You can also enable labels, so when you hover your mouse over a flare you will see its name.

Ah, so all those planets & objects are actually flares, got it :) 

And as nice as it sounds for all the stuff in orbit I learned it the hard way not to have to much stuff flying around or the save game will go crazy one day :wink: So I better be a nice space hugger and clean up my orbits.

Didn't see anything after searching. Is there anyway to get DOE to work in the main menu? Right now, it only works in game. It's not a big deal, but the skybox I'm using looks absolutely horrendous without DOE on. I obviously don't spend a lot of time in the main menu, but it'd be nice if it worked anyway.

1 hour ago, blorgon said:

Didn't see anything after searching. Is there anyway to get DOE to work in the main menu? Right now, it only works in game. It's not a big deal, but the skybox I'm using looks absolutely horrendous without DOE on. I obviously don't spend a lot of time in the main menu, but it'd be nice if it worked anyway.

It only works in flight, pretty much for the reason you mentioned (don't spend a lot of time in the main menu).  If someone wants to figure out how to get it working from the main menu, I wouldn't object, but I don't plan on budgeting time for it.

1 hour ago, MOARdV said:

It only works in flight, pretty much for the reason you mentioned (don't spend a lot of time in the main menu).  If someone wants to figure out how to get it working from the main menu, I wouldn't object, but I don't plan on budgeting time for it.

I figured as much. No worries. You do great stuff for the community!

I just tried this for the first time in 64k and it's working seamlessly.  It's the little things that make all the difference, like seeing that tiny green thing and knowing it's actually Jool 500,000,000,000m away.  Those behind this mod really show how much Squad needs to up it's game.

l7LxiZbm.png

Edited by Sandworm

6 hours ago, rsparkyc said:

Not showing up as compatible in CKAN, any way to bump the compatible version?

You can install it in CKAN from the command line even if it’s marked as incompatible:

ckan.exe install DistantObject=v1.7.1

Or you can just wait for CKAN to catch up. As far as I know, CKAN updates are mostly out of modders' hands.

Hi, I've been getting a recent crap-ton of NRE spam with the most recent version of DOE and wondered if you could help. I took a quick peek at the debug log and it seems to be spamming a lot of this.

Spoiler

A93IYDt.png

Here is the full output_log.

I'm not sure exactly what might be causing this and wondered if you could help me. Just ping me if you need any more information. Thank you! Never mind. I hate mods that break when they're removed :(

2 hours ago, DuoDex said:

I'm not sure exactly what might be causing this and wondered if you could help me. Just ping me if you need any more information. Thank you! Never mind. I hate mods that break when they're removed :(

I'll say.  Generally, with my mods, I strive to have them break when they're installed. :)

22 hours ago, UnanimousCoward said:

You can install it in CKAN from the command line even if it’s marked as incompatible:

ckan.exe install DistantObject=v1.7.1

Or you can just wait for CKAN to catch up. As far as I know, CKAN updates are mostly out of modders' hands.

CKAN updates are in the hands of users, actually. The issue with it presently is that 1.7.1 is marked as being compatible with KSP version 1.1.0 only. Unless someone opens an issue about it, or submits a pull request fixing it, its not likely to get noticed by the CKAN maintainers.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.