MOARdV

[1.6.x] Distant Object Enhancement bis v1.9.1.1 (16 October 2018) - Free to a Good Home

I'm playing with RSS and would like for stars from a planet pack to be visible with Distant Object Enhancement; do I only need to add the configs to PlanetColors.cfg?

Also, is there a way to set a per-body brightness value? I fear the stars (which are literally light-years away) would appear too dim. 

Posted (edited)

It appears that the distant vessel rendering does not work in 1.7.3.

I tried to test this out with my ~0.4km long Oblivion Starport. While a flare was showing from even the surface of the planet, as I got to orbit and was around 5km away I still could not see any more than a dot. However, as soon as I got within the stock 2.3km, I was suddenly face-to-face with the massive station, as shown in the spoiler below.

Spoiler

From roughly 3km away:

screenshot311.png?width=893&height=503

From 2.3km away:

screenshot313.png?width=893&height=503

I'm not sure if it's because the station uses modded parts, or if the mod is simply not fully operational in 1.7.3. I still get flares for all of the planets and for vessels (and yes, I checked the settings to make sure that distant vessel rendering was enabled).

I noticed that in the settings file, underneath the section for distant vessel rendering, there is the following line (in bold):

DistantVessel
{
    renderVessels = True
    maxDistance = 750000
    renderMode = 0
    ignoreDebris = False
}

Is this significant? What are the render modes? If I were to set it to another number, what would happen?

Edited by Raptor22

On 8/10/2019 at 7:53 PM, Raptor22 said:

It appears that the distant vessel rendering does not work in 1.7.3.

I tried to test this out with my ~0.4km long Oblivion Starport. While a flare was showing from even the surface of the planet, as I got to orbit and was around 5km away I still could not see any more than a dot. However, as soon as I got within the stock 2.3km, I was suddenly face-to-face with the massive station, as shown in the spoiler below.

Hide contents

From roughly 3km away:

screenshot311.png?width=893&height=503

From 2.3km away:

screenshot313.png?width=893&height=503

I'm not sure if it's because the station uses modded parts, or if the mod is simply not fully operational in 1.7.3. I still get flares for all of the planets and for vessels (and yes, I checked the settings to make sure that distant vessel rendering was enabled).

I noticed that in the settings file, underneath the section for distant vessel rendering, there is the following line (in bold):

DistantVessel
{
    renderVessels = True
    maxDistance = 750000
    renderMode = 0
    ignoreDebris = False
}

Is this significant? What are the render modes? If I were to set it to another number, what would happen?

I have no idea but i had the exact same problem in an ealier version.  It's a big bummer as this is an amazing mod :(

On 8/10/2019 at 6:53 PM, Raptor22 said:

FWIW, despite me adopting this mod, I have never used the vessel renderer.  It is entirely possible that something in KSP has changed that broke this feature, so if someone decides to adopt this mod, they'll have something to do other than recompile it. :)

As far as the number - I had to go look it up in the source code to figure it out:

renderMode = 0 means "only render my target".  renderMode = 1 means "render all ships", but it also only loads one vessel per FixedUpdate, so if you've got a crowded airspace, it'll take a couple of seconds for everything to show up.