[1.8] KerbalStats v3.1.0

taniwha

KerbalStats is a KSP mod for keeping track of extra information about the kerbals in your game. It has been designed to be easily extended by other mods wishing to store kerbal specific information. Also, it is easy for mods to query KerbalStats for the stored information.

KerbalStats comes with one built-in modules that is both useful and act as a sample implementation: experience. (older versions of KerbalStats had gender as well, but that got removed when KSP 1.0 came out)

Download: KerbalStats v3.1.0.

Source code (LGPL): github.

Issue tracker: issues.

For now, all documentation is in the README.md file and thus visible in the source code link.

Mods using KerbalStats:

Edited by taniwha

First thing I think of is a log for each Kerbal, recording when they launch, commanding what vehicle, how long in space, how much EVA time... etc. Is that possible with this mod?

Edit: Okay, I looked at the documentation and realized what I was asking about is exactly what you already mean by Kerbal experience.

Edited by White Owl

shaw: You misunderstand the LGPL: it does not force anything. That is why it is the Lesser GPL. I very deliberately chose the LGPL over the GPL specifically so mods could include KerbalStatsWrapper.cs, or directly link to KerbalStats.dll, without having to be put under a license the authors did not wish to use.

Not only that, in the readme, I explicitly state that mods may included KerbalStatsWrapper.cs without worrying about their own license, just so long as KerbalStatsWrapper.cs itself remains under the LGPL.

BTW, I specifically had TextureReplacer in mind when I decided to write the gender module :) (after laughing at the craziness in some of 5thHorsman's videos).

White Owl: hmm, I vessel type is something I thought of, forgot, then ran out of steam before I remembered it. Which specific vessel would get pretty nasty (though is interesting).

However, yes. What your are asking is pretty darn close to what I implemented. I didn't implement a proper logbook (ie, launch at this time, land at that time), but I think logging durations should be sufficient for most purposes.

@taniwha: No, you misunderstood LGPL. It forces a program using a LGPL'd library to LGPL if it includes any part of the library other than function declarations, constants or short (< 10 lines) macros/inline functions/templates.

shaw: you are confusing the LGPL with the GPL.

4. Combined Works.

You may convey a Combined Work under terms of your choice that,

taken together, effectively do not restrict modification of the

portions of the Library contained in the Combined Work and reverse

engineering for debugging such modifications, if you also do each of

the following:

Yes, you must include the LGPL license file, but that file covers only the original LGPL code, not the entire work. Also, you have to include (in this case) KerbalStatsWrapper.cs, but that's hardly an issue with the forum rules :).

Edited by taniwha

Why not just wait to see how Squad does it in 0.90 and mod from there?

A few reasons. The biggest one is I've been working on this since 0.23.5. Another important thing is it seems Squad's experience system will be points (achievements?) and level based. I very much suspect (hope, too), that that my system will complement Squad's.

(sorry, yet another post)

shaw: Rather than arguing over the exact meaning of the LGPL (which I attempted to avoid by giving explicit permission that I believe is redundant), I'd much rather discuss what additions KerbalStats (KS) needs so TextureReplacer (TR) works well with it, or how to help create a TR module for KS.

...Maori? Or another Eastern Polynesian language?

Maori via google translate, so don't trust it (the extent of my Maori is "kia ora" and "ao tea roa" (and I'm not sure I got that right))

Download link doesn't work, and it appears that you only have the source on GitHub. >:(
Confirming --- dl link busted! :(

Link should be fixed. ISP decided it was time to change my IP address.

• 2 weeks later...

Without KerbalStats my TextureReplacer thought "Jebediah" is a girl's name.

With KerbalStats my TextureReplacer thinks "Bill" is a girl's name.

Is that how it should work?

Edited by nothingSpecial
Mobile Internets ate my line-breaks

Gender is correctly detected in both cases. You probably don't have correctly set lists of female textures (`femaleHeads` array in TR's config files).

KerbalStats hard-codes Jeb Bob and Bill (and a few others) to male. As shaw states, it's probably a mis-configuration of your textures.

This is interesting. How is this different from CrewFiles?

Good question: I don't really know. I hadn't heard of CrewFiles until I was about half-way though the KerbalStats project. From what I've heard (mostly through a bit of chatting with Ippo), there's little difference in the core of KerbalStats: it's just a means of storing and retrieving extra information for each kerbal. The gender and experience systems are built on top of that.

Well, tomorrow will try new version. I reread TR readme several times, still don't know what I did wrong.UPD: Ah, I found it. Well. I hope so; I have an old config with only four of some of heads designated as female (was too lazy to PNG each) and since then I returned all along with .dds loader. It doesn't explain previous problems but can explain current.

Edited by nothingSpecial

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.