[WIP] The Cities of Kerbin (Hex Blocks)

Eskandare

Just now, Falco01 said:

good idea, I'll start tomorrow, I'll work slowly though, maybe one building a day

Day 1: Cube created - building 1 complete.

Day 2: Cube scaled - building 2 complete.

I'm sure that's not going to be the extent of your buildings but that's how I imagined it when I read your post, LOL.

4 minutes ago, martinezfg11 said:

Day 1: Cube created - building 1 complete.

Day 2: Cube scaled - building 2 complete.

I'm sure that's not going to be the extent of your buildings but that's how I imagined it when I read your post, LOL.

Well, on the modelling if I wanna stay low poly, it'll stay roughly that, texturing will be fun though

I'd like to get this kind of results http://fav.me/d8o0dyo (I made the pic btw) but it's too high poly but making a similar thing low poly would be easy enough

9 hours ago, Falco01 said:

good idea, I'll start tomorrow, I'll work slowly though, maybe one building a day

Take your time. 1.1 just dropped. Kerbal Konstructs needs to be updated.

I just prototyped a combat zone for BD Armory players, It is based off of an already existing ruined city model but edited and cleaned up for KSP. The original model is actually by the same guy who made the paris model. Another modder used the Paris model for his mod (Kerbin City Pack, I think), but he barely made any eddits in fact he didn't even change it's name. Mine is a derivative work based on the original work. I'll have pictures soon. I chose to use the model as a base model to build off of because it looks so damn nice that I just couldn't resist. I plan on placing it somewhere northeast of KSC.

Just now, Falco01 said:

Still, it look really nice

Also, I'd suggest you use the cell fracture addon for Blender to destroy buildings, then the physic engine to make them crumble, it's fun and you'll have realistic debris

Oooh I forgot about that!

This is epic can't wait.

Just a quick question...

Could you please make some Boat Docks and Harbours?

Continue with the great work I really like the sound of....

On 31/03/2016 at 3:31 AM, Falco01 said:

Also, I'd suggest you use the cell fracture addon for Blender to destroy buildings, then the physic engine to make them crumble, it's fun and you'll have realistic debris

Thanks

So here's a quick concept for a heliport using a hex block like setup.

This thing is huge, those helicopters you see there are the equivalent of a craft made with 2.5 m parts in KSP. As a matter of face that is the HC Heavy TRAN from RocketDine.

I could scale this up or down to be proportional to whatever the standard size will be.

VZxniee.jpg

On 4/2/2016 at 6:43 PM, martinezfg11 said:

Hate to bug, but what are your estimates for the hex dimensions?

They'll be, at the very least, a couple of blocks in size, that is my plan anyway.

23 hours ago, BT Industries said:

This is epic can't wait.

Just a quick question...

Could you please make some Boat Docks and Harbours?

Continue with the great work I really like the sound of....

Thanks

I made an entire ship yard with a static container ship a while back. I'll probably add it as a stand alone facility as it requires to be at sea level. 

3 hours ago, martinezfg11 said:

So here's a quick concept for a heliport using a hex block like setup.

This thing is huge, those helicopters you see there are the equivalent of a craft made with 2.5 m parts in KSP. As a matter of face that is the HC Heavy TRAN from RocketDine.

I could scale this up or down to be proportional to whatever the standard size will be.

VZxniee.jpg

Nice! Although the hex has a flaired bottom so that they can be beveled like the KSC sections. Aslo to add, the bottom of the hex goes dow a ways so that the uneven terrain is hidden underneath the hex. I should probably make a universal hex size so anyone can make sections to add to the project. I have a stand alone airport that I may just add a hex end to it so it can be adapted to the hex blocks. I'll have to retool the airport as I have a few tricks up my sleve to improve the geometry.

As a note, the ruined city is a stand alone addon and isn't a part of this project, but later on I could make ruined city blocks so anyone can make their own Area of Operation for using BD Armory. I'm currently reworking the modular road system with some compatibility sections to other road systems, and a bridge to connect Kerbin City to the airport section. The bridge has been a fairly taxing project due to the orientation of the road sections.

Soon we'll have a lot more destinations and things for 1.1. I've been waiting on x64 to make this happen.

Edited by Eskandare

On 04/04/2016 at 4:01 PM, Eskandare said:

I made an entire ship yard with a static container ship a while back. I'll probably add it as a stand alone facility as it requires to be at sea level.

Sweet!!!

On 04/04/2016 at 4:01 PM, Eskandare said:

As a note, the ruined city is a stand alone addon and isn't a part of this project, but later on I could make ruined city blocks so anyone can make their own Area of Operation for using BD Armory. I'm currently reworking the modular road system with some compatibility sections to other road systems, and a bridge to connect Kerbin City to the airport section. The bridge has been a fairly taxing project due to the orientation of the road sections.

Soon we'll have a lot more destinations and things for 1.1. I've been waiting on x64 to make this happen.

Sounds amazing.

Quick question about this... 

On 31/03/2016 at 3:31 AM, Falco01 said:

Will you make the non BDA fighting places still crumble.

Because it would be cool to be able to blow up skyscrapers, airports, etc.

1 minute ago, BT Industries said:

Will you make the non BDA fighting places still crumble.

Because it would be cool to be able to blow up skyscrapers, airports, etc.

Unfortunately not crumbleable. As far as I know Kerbal Konstructs doesn't have the animation triggers to crumble buildings. Not even sure if they are even accessible. The AO has pre damaged buildings to look like a disaster has been inflicted. I really would like to be able to damage buildings and the like, then need funds to repair them.

On 3/31/2016 at 9:11 AM, Eskandare said:

Just a teaser for the BD Armory combat zone. 

Behold! Kerbaania! Abandoned city rife with war between the Western Kerban, and Northeast Kerban. Yes, an AO for BD Armory.

KKYkJBo.png

This Looks suspiciously like the city from Saving Private Ryan. :wink:

It may be very suspiciously inspired indeed. :wink:

4 minutes ago, Ace_Of_Spades said:

This Looks suspiciously like the city from Saving Private Ryan. :wink:

It may be very suspiciously inspired indeed. :wink:

19 hours ago, martinezfg11 said:

OK, I couldn't stop. Scaled the hex blocks down a little.

Seriously gorgeous! How about we get a proper city built for that heliport?

It make me think

I noticed that the water on the water for the bda town that there were a crap lot of faces, you could try to make them into one face, or at least a few bigger one, reducing the poly count on such surface could help a bit for lower end PC (as far as I know) and maybe even help a bit with texturing, you can do that by selecting a whole bunch of faces then press X then select "dissolve faces" (in case you didn't know)

19 minutes ago, Falco01 said:

It make me think

I noticed that the water on the water for the bda town that there were a crap lot of faces, you could try to make them into one face, or at least a few bigger one, reducing the poly count on such surface could help a bit for lower end PC (as far as I know) and maybe even help a bit with texturing, you can do that by selecting a whole bunch of faces then press X then select "dissolve faces" (in case you didn't know)

I know.  The model you see there is work in progress. The faces will ne merged once I have the desired shape.

The channel as you see it is the sea floor and not the water. I would recommend scatterer for realistic water.

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, DMSP said:

This looks really cool!

So you can choose where to build these towns!? Is so, that would be great for my story!

Once I have all the assets assembled, it will use Kerbal Konstructs for the city construction. I have road sections that will got with it too.

Currently, I'm trying to decided on the size of the Hex Blocks, what is a reasonable size, how many buildings on a block, how will the streets and roads intersect and connect to each other? I use a very large pad for Kilo-Sierra-Papa in my Top Secret! mod, which I'm not doing again as it feels too large and I may need to shrink it down a bit or populate it somehow.