[0.90] Procedural Airships [1.3] dec 20th 2014

RadarManFromTheMoon

Game crashing after airship mission complete and i'm trying to come to SPH to launch new one. Where send the logs?

So, I guess you solved the explosion problem? Keep an eye on the "press. Status" bar in the tweakables. If it is empty or full --> explosion imminent.

Does your game really crashes to desktop? Did you try to revert to editor, recover the vessel or returned to the space center?

Logs are always great. Do you have the possibility to upload them somewhere? I always wanted to create an e-mail-account for such support stuff, but just havent got down to it yet.

Yes i found how not get exploded to fast. Now i will try to learn how get 0.0 buoyancy for fly on current altitude. And game crashes to desktop with creating crash log. Not sure that's only airships mod fault. But i may create new crash report. and sent to you.

Yes i found how not get exploded to fast. Now i will try to learn how get 0.0 buoyancy for fly on current altitude. And game crashes to desktop with creating crash log. Not sure that's only airships mod fault. But i may create new crash report. and sent to you.

A crash to desktop is usually caused by:

1. the x64 version of KSP on Windows, which is highly unstable and should not be used

or

2. Too high memory usage

You can find more information here

Can you say me how you get 0.0 buoyancy? and are you use anchors for landing?

Depends on your design. First. Don't try to hit exactly 0. That doesn't work well. Try to get near zero and then control altitude by pitching up or down. You can also use ballonets to change the buoyancy of an envelope. Inflating(+) a ballonet decreases buoyancy, but increases pressure. So be careful. Have you already done the tutorial? You can reach it by clicking "training" in the main menu. You can also load the tutorial airship in editor and use it as a starting point.

There is also an option called pressure control. It basically tries to keep the relative pressure in your envelope at 0. This means you are relatively safe from explosions but you also cannot use your ballonets for altitude control. Use it only if you can sufficiently control your altitude using your engines (pitching up/down). I will add better flight assistants with the next release.

You could use anchors for landing, but they are really not necessary. You can inflate your ballonet to achieve a negative net. buoyancy.

Well, there isn't a definite way to achieve a stable altitude. You'll have to make yourself familiar with the physics of airships and then use that knowledge to build something that suits your needs. An Envelope is basically a hull filled with bubbles of lifting gas and other bubbles filled with air (ballonets). in the SPH(or VAB) you can define how big these ballonet air bubbles are. 30% means, that 30% of the available room can get filled with air. I believe the default settings are 30% ballonet space, 50% inflation. This means 15% of your ballonet are filled with air, the other 85% are filled with lifting gas. Lets suppose you built an airship with a net. buoyancy of -3 kN. It is slightly heavier than the same volume of air, so it will stay on the ground. Deflating your ballonet a little bit will give the lifting gas a little bit more room to expand, resulting in more buoyancy. But it also means more surface area, resulting in more pressure on the hull.

So you give the lifting gas more room to expand until your net. buoyancy gets slightly positive. The Airship rises into the air, and the higher it gets, the thinner the air gets. Thinner air means less buoyancy. But it also means less pressure on the hull.

You now gain altitude until reaching the point at which the buoyant force reaches zero. This is what you want. Though, in practice it is nearly impossible to kepp at exactly this altitude. Because the airship is very "light", even the smallest forces will have a big effect on it. The solution? Take it easy on the inputs. In most cases the airship will oscillate around this "sweetspot altitude" like a pendulum. Gravity will eventually pull it back down until buoyancy "wins" again and pulls it up into the air.

Another important thing is your engine thrust. A slightly pitched up/down ship will cause an up/downward force. try to level out your airship so that the prograde marker on the navball lies exactly on the horizon.

Hope I could help a bit.

I must say that this is one of the most interesting mods I have seen so far. I really like it. The tutorial is pretty good. I hope to be able to build my own ships in my career save eventually, but there is not money. :sticktongue:

A video tutorial, maybe from a devoted user, would be a good help. Of course, I know is too much to ask. :cool:

Does this mod include any balloons that can store for travel? Ideally something that could be filled in an atmosphere. I'd like to fly an airship around duna or eve but im not certain if the mod allows me to use "packable" type airships or if everything is intended for Kerbin atmo-

I must say that this is one of the most interesting mods I have seen so far. I really like it. The tutorial is pretty good. I hope to be able to build my own ships in my career save eventually, but there is not money. :sticktongue:

A video tutorial, maybe from a devoted user, would be a good help. Of course, I know is too much to ask. :cool:

Great to hear that. Haven't got much feedback on the tutorial yet, so I'm very happy that it actually helps. :D I'd love to see someone making a video tutorial but I for myself will probably stick to making in-game tutorials. I'm just a better coder than video narrator. :D

Does this mod include any balloons that can store for travel? Ideally something that could be filled in an atmosphere. I'd like to fly an airship around duna or eve but im not certain if the mod allows me to use "packable" type airships or if everything is intended for Kerbin atmo-

It doesn't at the moment, unfortunately. The only way to bring them to another planet, I can think of, would be to use Extraplanetary Lauchpads. But I havent tested that yet (experience anyone?). You can also use the inflatable envelopes from the Hooligan Labs mod. They are not procedural though.

In the future this might change if I find a good way to make procedurally generated inflatables.

Edited by RadarManFromTheMoon
typo

I'm wondering if anybody else has had an issue where anywhere outside of the tutorial, balloons always display a "no signal" status, and refuse to adjust any settings in flight? If you did, how did you fix it?

They should only do that if there is no pod or probecore on your vessel. They also show "no signal" in the editor. I should probably change that :D

Edited by RadarManFromTheMoon

• 2 weeks later...

In that case... consider it done, because it is :)

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program>ckan install ProceduralAirships
About to install...

* ProceduralAirships 1.3 (cached)
* ProceduralParts v0.9.21 (cached)

Continue? [Y/N] y

Installing mod "ProceduralAirships 1.3"
Installing mod "ProceduralParts v0.9.21"
Updating registry
Commiting filesystem changes
Rescanning GameData
Done!

In that case... consider it done, because it is :)

D:\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Kerbal Space Program>ckan install ProceduralAirships
About to install...

* ProceduralAirships 1.3 (cached)
* ProceduralParts v0.9.21 (cached)

Continue? [Y/N] y

Installing mod "ProceduralAirships 1.3"
Installing mod "ProceduralParts v0.9.21"
Updating registry
Commiting filesystem changes
Rescanning GameData
Done!

Thanks! I think, I will give ckan a spin this weekend.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.