Rover transport

RizzoTheRat

Pretty smart, land, drop rover, use science module, on takeoff eiter leave science module behind or drop it at 30 m/s so it get destroyed on impact.

However system looks a bit overkill for Minmus even from LKO.

It's definitely overkill. It was technically a Mun lander, based on an older cannibalized design etc... and it's designed with a failsafe in case something goes wrong. Ideally it would use the outer engines to land and take off from the Mun, then drop them and use the lower central engine for the entire return home. In the event that I miscalculate or something silly happens, it still has the tiny stage at the top to rely on. I used to have a lot of little "oops" moments like that so I just started building it into the ship to save time on rescue missions :P

Mine has landing legs fitted at the back for a vertical landing. I then use the undercarriage as wheels for surface travel. The trick is to land on high ground and explore downhill so that you can exploit frictionless wheels to travel long distances. Gentle bursts from the engine can be used to give the lander a push if needed, the fuel useage for this is negligible.

http://i.imgur.com/RRXFgkr.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/aqC5Lea.jpg

That's a good idea, I had a lot of fun with a little rocket powered rover on the Mun before I got powered wheels. It could hop to another biome or two depending on the landing site, and then glide back along the surface using almost no fuel at about 50m/s, as long as you babysit it during jumps and don't hit anything too crazy.

I call this baby Anomaly Hunter, guess why. Note the LT-1 struts on underside of rover, they lift it to lock on docking port. Sometimes docking ports fail to engage no matter what, so rover have a small tank and engine to jump up, also serving as weight to lover CoM. Lifter is a bit on a heavy side since its intended as mobile base for extended periods of time, for a single purpose mission it could probably be made much simpler and lighter.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I tried a side/lateral deployed rover on my apollo-style a few months ago - worked ok most of the time...

VSlemdb.png

The rover panel is rotated out for view in the VAB but is flipped up before launch - a radial decoupler lets it pop off the lander, then an inline decoupler fires once the rover is upright.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.