[0.90] StarSystems v0.7 (Dec 15) - Under New Managment

medsouz

StarSystems

I am now taking over development of the StarSystems plugin from _Augustus_ (Who attempted to take it over after OvenProofMars left).

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Images from OvenProofMars

Features

• Modifies the sun into a black hole.
  • Creates a new Kerbol to house all the original planets.
  • Allows you to add your own stars.
  • Define custom star colors.
  • Move planets to different star systems
  • Handles everything associated with starlight.
  • Solar panels work.
  • Allows usage with existing savegames (backup before attempting)

Changelog

Click the "Changelog" button on the KerbalStuff page!

Download

Download from KerbalStuff

Source is on GitHub

Credits

Created by: OvenProofMars

Co-created by: Fastwings

Special thanks to: Kcreator, Megalodon 720 and all people testing.

License

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International (CC BY-NC-SA 4.0)

Note

In the event of OvenProofMars or Fastwings returning and wanting to resume development they are free to take control of whatever is here.

Edited by medsouz

Hi medsouz, this project has perhaps THE most potential to take KSP gameplay into new scale, in my opinion, what is your plan for this mod as of now? Will we see additional planets soon? Perhaps one of the current planet packs could be added to the starts, like Urania and such. How is the light from the new suns looking like atm? Forgive I haven't tried the new version yet but I just might the coming week.

Hi medsouz, this project has perhaps THE most potential to take KSP gameplay into new scale, in my opinion, what is your plan for this mod as of now? Will we see additional planets soon? Perhaps one of the current planet packs could be added to the starts, like Urania and such. How is the light from the new suns looking like atm? Forgive I haven't tried the new version yet but I just might the coming week.

I'd like to allow users to create configs to move planets around to different solar systems.

hi medsouz, this project has perhaps the most potential to take ksp gameplay into new scale, in my opinion, what is your plan for this mod as of now? Will we see additional planets soon? Perhaps one of the current planet packs could be added to the starts, like urania and such. How is the light from the new suns looking like atm? Forgive i haven't tried the new version yet but i just might the coming week.

this mod ain't adding no planets.

Medsouz, can I still help with this? Like come up with ideas and such...

Medsouz, can I still help with this? Like come up with ideas and such...

You can suggest ideas if you'd like...

this mod ain't adding no planets.

... but please don't be a back seat developer. Leave the decision making to the people who are implementing them. :cool:

An in-game gui for creating/editing planets would be awesome for those of us who can't code.

I don't see why not.

It's not really coding, more like writing English in a specific way. It's like editing parts, you can copy paste and change what you want, it's perfectly legible.

Its one of those things you have to train your eyes for.

I'm so glad that this mod didn't die! Other than that little bit of information, I made up some new descriptions for Corbo and Dolas that I think are more stock-esque:

Dolas:

BodyDescription = This white dwarf is much more dense than Kerbol. Kerbal astronomers theorize that it used to look like Kerbol long ago, but it eventually shrunk down into its current size when it ran out of fuel. Some of its old planets may still orbit the ghost star. Be careful though, they could be haunted.

Corbo:

BodyDescription = Even though Corbo is barely observable from Kerbin, it is larger and more massive than Kerbol. Red supergiants such as this one are said to be near the end of their very short lives, ready to go supernova any minute. Maybe it isn't such a good idea to go here.

I am so happy to see this mod back! One thing that I noticed in the old version is that ships got torn to shreds by gravitational forces well before Billy Hadrick is even visible, which kind of sucks, so could you possibly lower the explode-y death altitude a bit. Or even better, remove the explode-y altitude altogether, and have it so you get a weaker version of the Hell Kraken (So that it just makes all the UI go black, but it fixes once you go back to KCS) appear when you cross into the event horizon.

Also, do you think you could make the black hole look more like this:

ut_interstellarOpener_f.png

I imagine you might be able to do it the same way people have made rings, but I admit I barely know anything about coding

I'm so glad that this mod didn't die! Other than that little bit of information, I made up some new descriptions for Corbo and Dolas that I think are more stock-esque:

Dolas:

BodyDescription = This white dwarf is much more dense than Kerbol. Kerbal astronomers theorize that it used to look like Kerbol long ago, but it eventually shrunk down into its current size when it ran out of fuel. Some of its old planets may still orbit the ghost star. Be careful though, they could be haunted.

Corbo:

BodyDescription = Even though Corbo is barely observable from Kerbin, it is larger and more massive than Kerbol. Red supergiants such as this one are said to be near the end of their very short lives, ready to go supernova any minute. Maybe it isn't such a good idea to go here.

Sounds good. :)

I am so happy to see this mod back! One thing that I noticed in the old version is that ships got torn to shreds by gravitational forces well before Billy Hadrick is even visible, which kind of sucks, so could you possibly lower the explode-y death altitude a bit. Or even better, remove the explode-y altitude altogether, and have it so you get a weaker version of the Hell Kraken (So that it just makes all the UI go black, but it fixes once you go back to KCS) appear when you cross into the event horizon.

Also, do you think you could make the black hole look more like this:

http://www.wired.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ut_interstellarOpener_f.png

I imagine you might be able to do it the same way people have made rings, but I admit I barely know anything about coding

I'll look into the explode-y death and see what I can do. About the graphics I was looking into getting this shader working in Unity for the black hole, the only issue is I've never touched the black magic required to make shaders.

Unfortunately binary stars are not possible in KSP.

Actually, you could just have a system where one star orbits around the other one just like Kerbin orbits Kerbol. But I assume you meant a star system where both stars have the same mass, so I came up with a way of doing that too. You just create an invisible point that serves as the barycenter, then have both stars orbit around that point.

Edited by temporalExile
spelling derp

@medsouz: Thanks for picking this mod back up and working on it, its just the sort of thing I was looking for to expand my Interstellar career (what's the point of an alcubierre drive if you don't have anywhere to go, right?)

I've noted the very first hurdle and I'm hoping you could help me with it. The current problem: Solar panel power scaling. I noted that my a ship I had at eeloo was generating (from solar panels) the same amount of energy that it should have been making while in Kerbin orbit. I flew the ship from Eeloo to Dres taking a very low perihelion route to see what the power levels would do and they seemed to remain more or less constant the entire trip.

I'm not sure how the current code is setup so I'm not sure what help I can give other than pointing these things out as I find them. What sort of solar power arrangement is intended with StarSystems? ie. are solar panels supposed to change their point of aim based on which systems SOI it is currently in? Are panels supposed to be completely non-functional when outside of a solar system's SOI?

I'm super hyped about this. There wouldn't happen to be any compatible planet packs at the moment, would there? I seem to remember at some point there was a list of mods that would add their planets around stars orbiting the black hole. That may have been a different iteration of this mod though (or a different mod, I don't remember...). If not, I may just look into making some myself. Can anyone tell me how I'd go about doing that?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.