[0.90] StarSystems v0.7 (Dec 15) - Under New Managment

medsouz

!!! I want more information about that renegade planet factory/kopericus mod, it looks a great deal more complex than Planet Factory, I can't find any documentation or websites/forums on it.

Anyway, I had a contract to go to a planet factory moon around Eve, so I was camped out at my normal launch orbit, a middle-tier Kerbin orbit, waiting for a launch window a year from now... I come back later and I'm in a highly eccentric orbit of Blacky. =((((

My biggest problem with Star Systems, pretty much only, is that all my ships usually end up in a tight, highly eccentric, RETROGRADE, orbit around blackey and simply do not have enough engines, even with cheated fuel, to break free, even after many many hours of constant burn...

Once that is fixed, I can go back to looking at the bigger picture of getting it to work reasonably well with some kind of planet mod, this new kopernicus/planet factory system is too complex, heavy, and works by overturning the whole apple cart.

My biggest problem with Star Systems, pretty much only, is that all my ships usually end up in a tight, highly eccentric, RETROGRADE, orbit around blackey and simply do not have enough engines, even with cheated fuel, to break free, even after many many hours of constant burn...

Once that is fixed, I can go back to looking at the bigger picture of getting it to work reasonably well with some kind of planet mod, this new kopernicus/planet factory system is too complex, heavy, and works by overturning the whole apple cart.

Hyperedit. At least until all the bugs are worked out.

@Med, I've found a bug with StarSystems (at least I've encountered it), here's a photo: https://imgur.com/nBeOLiv,SrFVv09,j5joLSo#0. Also, I'll have to explain the plane, I was making a space program (set in kerbal 1938, despite real space exploration starting 10 ish years later), designed to make short flights around local Kerbin. But anyways, on a more serious note, I've noted that Kerbin happens to take Blacky Karman's place in the Kerbal-Star Cluster or whatever. Note the heightmap's disappearance and on the second time, I have no light source. However, the Space Center loads just fine.

Edited by Tynton

Just did some research and found out that Blacky Kerman is very, very heavy. Its mass is referenced in the CFG as 7700 solar masses. I assume this is 7700 times the mass of Kerbol? If so, it might be a bit on the heavy side. There are supermassive black holes like that, but those are in the center of galaxies and create circumstances that aren't very great for closeby stars. Black Karman would be much suitable as a stellar black hole, a single black hole left when a star goes supernova. Those are far less massive: 4-12 solar masses or so. Lowering the mass might also make interstellar travel more doable.

Just did some research and found out that Blacky Kerman is very, very heavy. Its mass is referenced in the CFG as 7700 solar masses. I assume this is 7700 times the mass of Kerbol? If so, it might be a bit on the heavy side. There are supermassive black holes like that, but those are in the center of galaxies and create circumstances that aren't very great for closeby stars. Black Karman would be much suitable as a stellar black hole, a single black hole left when a star goes supernova. Those are far less massive: 4-12 solar masses or so. Lowering the mass might also make interstellar travel more doable.

You're exactly right except for the part about the classification. Stars can get very heavy. Black Holes go into the super-massive classification when they reach 100 000 Sol masses, not just a few thousand.

While testing with the .cfg file, I found that it does use Kerbol masses and not Sol masses. This makes a much lighter and smaller Black Hole and when I did some calculations with 100M Solar masses, the 100M Kerbol masses version came out 595 Million kilometres smaller in diametre.

For reference, galactic centre black holes are anywhere from 100M to 20B Solar masses so a 7700 is nowhere near there and is just a stellar mass black hole. Having a larger black hole does have its benefits, though. You can get a better orbit around it and in KSP terms, you're less likely to invoke the kraken from orbiting several times per second.

Lowering the mass of the black hole would involve more bad effects than good. The SOIs of the stars would increase greatly and their Orbital velocities would slow down. While I think you're suggesting an orbital velocity slow down, I think that interstellar travel was meant to be an end-game kind of thing so it should be a challenge.

Edited by Chezburgar7300

I am still getting launched into Blacky orbit... My game crashes before I can spacecenter.

He is looking into this. He couldn't fix it beforehand because he couldn't replicate it. However, it occurred on my system and I gave him my gamedata folder over dropbox. The issue has occurred on his system now, and in short, he's looking for a solution.

Love the mod, but I found kind of a funny bug. I noticed none of my LKO rescue missions were showing up on the tracking center, so I checked Blacky Karman, and there were my poor Kerbals. Makes me laugh because its very black hole-ish behavior, but no way they're getting rescued from there.

Here's a screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/IN5wbx3.jpg

Edit: I kind of want to leave them there and that will be my goal on this save, a Blacky Karman rescue.

Edited by strideknight

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.