Point(s) of inflection in career games?

James_Eh

After resolutely sticking with sandbox from .19 thru .23.5, I finally broke down and started .24.2 in career mode and have continued with numerous runs through the .25 career at increasing levels of difficulty.

I'm wondering if others find that there are a couple of absolutely key tech unlocks which, when accomplished, signify a point where there is no doubt that the program will continue to grow and flourish? (Despite the odd horrific design that thunders into the ocean on you...)

For me there are two key moments. Unlocking the KD25k giant boosters pretty much opens up the entire system to cheap launches of one way probes, and then opening the LV-N's finishes the deal for return missions. (Of course early on you have to get a way to generate electricity, but I'm referring to the later achievements I guess...)

Any thoughts? Maybe I'm just rambling because I realized I hadn't posted in a while...

Also in an un-modded install, don't forget the nuclear engines or Ions, or both.

When you get these two things, you can go anywhere and build landers of incredible range on some planets.

Simply the best space engines in the game, hands down. (Great with something to do larges burns while you watch TV or Youtube, such as mechjeb or flight computer).

[EDIT] oh yeah, all science instruments, it kinda go without saying. :D

Also in an un-modded install, don't forget the nuclear engines or Ions, or both.

When you get these two things, you can go anywhere and build landers of incredible range on some planets.

Simply the best space engines in the game, hands down. (Great with something to do larges burns while you watch TV or Youtube, such as mechjeb or flight computer).

[EDIT] oh yeah, all science instruments, it kinda go without saying. :D

"Nukes" are LV-N's. So yah, that's one of my two obvious POIs. Your other point about the science instruments is more debatable, though. The contract system tends to reward you you for the FIRST transmission of data, not the quality. So, if you send a wee probe to Eve with just a thermometer and some electricity, you're well on your way to reaping the full science rewards of the "Explore Eve" contract. Especially (particularly!) if you have outsourced RnD.

(As others have mentioned, the conversion of fundz to science via the strategies will undoubtedly be tweaked...)

My thoughts above, btw, are referring to a stock game.

For me there are two key moments. Unlocking the KD25k giant boosters pretty much opens up the entire system to cheap launches of one way probes

Huh? My key unlocks for that are FLT-800 tanks, fuel ducts, and just about any radial decoupler (though TT-70's are preferred). With LV-909 and LVT-30 engines, I can get pretty much anywhere from Eve to Jool and most of it's moons. With LV-N's, Moho opens up. (Though it's reachable without them with careful design.)

You don't need giant boosters...

In an unmodded game, I'd say docking is a huge one. Arguably, getting stack decouplers is also huge, but that has to be the first node purchased. Solar panels are similar, but don't open up full new mission profiles like docking ports do.

I guess RCS would be similar (docking without RCS is a huge headache).

Edit: I fully agree with this

Huh? My key unlocks for that are FLT-800 tanks, fuel ducts, and just about any radial decoupler (though TT-70's are preferred). With LV-909 and LVT-30 engines, I can get pretty much anywhere from Eve to Jool and most of it's moons. With LV-N's, Moho opens up. (Though it's reachable without them with careful design.)

You don't need giant boosters or ions or nukes for most missions, they just make a lot of missions way easier. Too many people shout these sentiments down with "Lol ur not kerbal!" crap.

Edited by LethalDose

I use the Mun for science mining. To do this, my first key unlock is getting the first 2.5m tank (the shortest one) from kw rocketry. I cluster 1.25m tanks for the first stage, but need a 2.5m 2nd stage+payload faring for sending a decent manned lander to the Mun's surface. This launcher also sends science labs and fuel modules to Munar orbit so multiple landing missions can be supported.

Other big unlocks are Ion and Rapier engines.

I go the electricity route. You've no idea how many missions have been scrapped due to running out of electricity. The next big thing I go for is the 2.5m parts. I don't use the SPH, so I only research those techs to fill out the tree. In fact, with .24 I was using my old laptop, so I deleted the space plane parts from the game so my machine would run it.

I would like the tree to be spaced out a bit more, though, because I've maxed it out and I have just now started exploring other planets. I maxed it out all on Minmus, too. I visited Mun just to fulfil a contract. The trick or whatever that can turn money earned into science makes this even more possible, since money is really easy to get. So I was able to unlock a couple nodes just by testing things on the launch pad.

I guess I've played Civilization too much. In the Civ games the tech tree is the game, so it lasts the whole time. I keep reminding myself that KSP is nothing like Civ, but the tech tree thing still bugs me a bit.

My first priority is parachutes so I can properly land crafts after use. After that my main priority are fuel lines because I tend to use large radially attached fuel tanks and having to manually move the fuel around is a pain.

(Note: I haven't used the stock tech tree in ages, so this might not make sense for stock only games. I'm currently using the T7 tech tree)

It used to be fuel lines for asparagus launchers... but now, moar SRBs...

Anyway, the big things for me are: Nukes, solar panels, and docking ports - then let the mun and minmus biome harvesting commence (I launch a large fuel depot, with a lab, and a nuke lander, and can cover the Mun and minmus).

I like to get all the science parts unlocked so I don't need to come back.

After that, its wings and turbojets for SSTOs. Those combined with nuclear tugs, make it easy to get large payloads anywhere in the system

It used to be

a) struts and fuel lines, allowing for a first mun mission with multiple (usually 3-4) landings.

B) LV-N and Docking port for a comprehensive Mun & Minmus survey using a lab-lander.

c) all tech unlocked.

I make excessive use of the large docking ports; until I have them, I'm not willing to deploy infrastructure like fuel depots or tugs. The tug that takes me to the mun in step B) could also take me to Duna; however, it has a standard docking port. Rather than develop a mishmash of vessels, I discard that tug and as soon as senior ports become available.

But frankly, through the power of the admin building, I can now unlock all science without ever visiting the mun. Which is fine with me, I've done Kerbin's satellites often enough by now.

Unlocking skippers and 2.5m tanks is a turning point for me. Efficient, powerful, and gimballing skipper cores are simple to build, can carry light loads to orbit almost by themselves, and are wider mounting points for boosters and cumbersome payloads. Skipper Lifters carry me through mid-game pretty nicely.

Batteries and solar panels are the first important milestone to get interplanetary, then ARM parts and LVNs, to give complete coverage of the system.

But the tech tree right now is fairly stupid, why can I have a manned flight to Mars (err... I mean Duna!) before I can fly around in a basic jet on Kerbin for example? Someone really needs to look at that and shuffle the bits around for it to present a natural progression.

I find that when operating with a very limited budget, I can use 4 (3 then 1) of the giant boosters to throw a probe into orbit which can then proceed to pretty much anywhere. I have yet to find a non-booster design which is remotely as cheap.

...But frankly, through the power of the admin building, I can now unlock all science without ever visiting the mun. Which is fine with me, I've done Kerbin's satellites often enough by now.

I haven't tried this. I find the drudgery of science in and around KSP to be the opposite of fun. Is it easier/quicker than the drudgery of yet another trip to Minmus?

Ox Stat Panels, Too Hot Thermometer, as soon as possible. Those two items allow fulfillment of the explore Mun, Minmus, Ike, Duna, Eve,contracts using just standard 1.25m components. They also allow fulfillment of future data from orbit contracts at zero additional cost.

Solar panels -probes need them (unless you want to carry tons of batteries with you or you use one of the several exploits to stop electricity use), manned missions get infinite control when used with reaction wheels.

Fuel ducts -make transporting large payloads to orbit much easier.

Jet engines -practical SSTO rockets.

Ion or nucleral engines -easy interplanetary missions.

Docking -makes interplanetary return missions much easier.

Struts -allows stable large rockets

Cubic octagonal strut -weightless part that allows you to add construction nodes anywhere.

The science parts nodes were the best, but with the new contracts and strategies they became far less important.

I find that when operating with a very limited budget, I can use 4 (3 then 1) of the giant boosters to throw a probe into orbit which can then proceed to pretty much anywhere. I have yet to find a non-booster design which is remotely as cheap.

No offense, but you really need to study rocket design. My "standard" non-nuclear probe (including booster, probe, and full stock orbital instrument suite) weighs in at 6 tons and only costs 48k. It doesn't need a big booster.

"Nukes" are LV-N's. So yah, that's one of my two obvious POIs. Your other point about the science instruments is more debatable, though. The contract system tends to reward you you for the FIRST transmission of data, not the quality. So, if you send a wee probe to Eve with just a thermometer and some electricity, you're well on your way to reaping the full science rewards of the "Explore Eve" contract. Especially (particularly!) if you have outsourced RnD.

(As others have mentioned, the conversion of fundz to science via the strategies will undoubtedly be tweaked...)

My thoughts above, btw, are referring to a stock game.

Career changed things a bit, I tend to do one Mun mission to unlock all the science equipment, then an Minus one, land on all nodes do all science, roll up science tree.

Before it was minmus twice.

First mission is suborbital going west for extra biomes, next is a straight up mission for goo and labs, then orbit and then Mun, finally Minmus.

Do various in flight stuff for funds, first kethane miner tend to launch before the Minmus mission is back.

Depend on you mission size, I use extraplanetary launchpads so I have not used larger stuff than 1x2 outside of tests.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.