You know you overbuilt your rocket when...

Deadpangod3

When your parking orbit is 1,000 Km.

It had a lander on top that was upside down, which was thusly counted as negative Delta V against the total. I neglected to notice this until after I had launched. I wondered why that rocket had to be so dang big....

You know your rocket's overpowered when it doesn't crash into Kerbin, Kerbin crashes into it.

Okay, maybe that's (a little) too much. Feels good to be back on the forums though.

In Soviet Krussia, Kerbin crashes into YOU!

Anyway, you know your rocket is overbuilt when it falls onto the runway after takeoff-and blows the whole thing up.

When Gilly lands on you.

Isn't that usually how it works? :sticktongue:

My entry: when you can lift an 11 ton winged Nastybird space shuttle to orbit in one stage and still have fuel left for descent and parachute landing of the booster.

(Also could have gone in the "what did you do in KSP today? thread. Still on topic either way.)

Edited by moogoob
spewlling & such

• 1 month later...

When your rocket casts a shadow over the water at noon, despite being centered on the launchpad.

When you NEED scientific notation to make the dV numbers fit in the MechJeb window.

When you confuse your rocket's part count with the payout for the contract you're trying to fulfill.

When your rocket's escape pod has enough seats for all of Kerbalkind (just in case).

When you save a little too much precious rocket juice by lithobraking, smash off the ruggedized rover wheels, flush away the supersized landing legs, ablate the entire backup set of landing gear you added in a moment of paranoia, and come down hard on your bare fat ass ...

... but your ass is a MK3 fuel tank (short) and your engines are radially mounted on shock-absorbing hardpoints.

STUCK THE LANDING. JUST LIKE EVERY LANDING.

When I find myself having to clip the biggest engines into each other just to get off the ground with a small enough partscount for the ship to load at all. I've spent the last two days just experimenting with "compound engines"

You need LV-T45 engines to maneuver the ship 'cause RCS thrusters aren't enough.

When using MechJeb to move your ship, you get an error message saying "Awww hell no!".

Saying "Sorry I dont thisnk I can do that."

I have a terrible habit of over building my rockets. Just built a rocket that got to orbit on the first stage alone, no boosters or anything. It even had a few hundred m/s of Delta V left. It was also carrying the start of a Mun station

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.