You know you overbuilt your rocket when...

Deadpangod3

You know your rocket's overpowered when it doesn't crash into Kerbin, Kerbin crashes into it.

Okay, maybe that's (a little) too much. Feels good to be back on the forums though.

You know your rocket's overpowered when it doesn't crash into Kerbin, Kerbin crashes into it.

Okay, maybe that's (a little) too much. Feels good to be back on the forums though.

Got it, let me rephrase:

You know you overengineered your rocket when inversions don't sound that weird anymore.

When your Gilly lander *needs* Mainsails to take off.

You simply don't have enough ion engines. What is this "part count limitation" that you speak of?

For myself, I don't have any huge examples, but my latest Apollo-style mission used the S-IVB equivalent to achieve low Munar orbit before giving up the ghost and switching to the service module's engine.

Working on a simple turbo jet booster stage for small (1.25m) rockets. Boosters are so effecient, that after slapping legs on the second (and only stage, since it was designed to be only a bit of ballast and dead weight), it has enough gas to orbit, land on Mun, return, and land upright, without parachutes, on the KSC pad.

judging by the resource panel, id guess some sort of engine from the interstellar mod
Close. Near Future Technology actually, using the magnetoplasmadynamic thrusters with an Isp of 3200 s. The ship was a 1500-ton asparagus-staged monster propelling a 65-ton payload. Launched in one piece fully fuelled. The hard part was getting the TWR as well as the delta-V, since I didn't really want a day-long burn.

The second trajectory was from the return, with just the core stage remaining albeit pushing a much lighter payload.

It was part of the Magellan mission, see the album linked to in my sig for more.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.