Project Alexandria: a history of spaceflight done in Real Solar System

Felbourn

are your custom parts available for use ? i have tried downloading your stuff on github but it says parts are missing. judging from the file names its the custom parts you made, there is a history folder but it just has config files in it, no model data

are your custom parts available for use ? i have tried downloading your stuff on github but it says parts are missing. judging from the file names its the custom parts you made, there is a history folder but it just has config files in it, no model data

I don't make models or textures. My custom parts require other mods before they will function. The installation instructions show all the needed mods and the parts required. It's not a small task though.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey, Felbourn, I was wondering if you would be willing to post your RSS configs for the CSS on the CSS page? I really want to fly it in my RSS KSP version, but don't want to crash 100% of the time!

All files will eventually be here.

I don't make models or textures. My custom parts require other mods before they will function. The installation instructions show all the needed mods and the parts required. It's not a small task though.

- - - Updated - - -

All files will eventually be here.

ok thanks

- - - Updated - - -

where abouts can i find this instruction file. i cant see it on the github repository. thanks for your quick response, really enjoying your min series, binge watched all your current episodes today. keep up the great work :)

- - - Updated - - -

where abouts can i find this instruction file. i cant see it on the github repository. thanks for your quick response, really enjoying your min series, binge watched all your current episodes today. keep up the great work :)

Err I confused this thread with Project Odyssey, which has instructions. Project Alexandria is just RSS with mostly FASA and RaiderNick's parts.

Edited by Felbourn

Tomorrow is another Odyssey episode instead of Alexandria. If you remember, I started Alexandria because I was a little burned out on only doing Odyssey. But then I had three weeks where I did NO Odyssey. I bet you remember that, too. :) Anyway, that time off gave me the breather I needed, AND there have been issues with the install getting older. It's still 0.25 for example, there's no way I can upgrade, and for all I know we'll have 1.0 in our hands before I have finished. It's time, therefore, to seriously think about how to bring it to a end, and that probably means doing more episodes of it for now. I will resume Alexandria once I have Odyssey a little further along. Another reason is Odyssey has a story that gets stale if left alone. Alexandria on the other hand is history, and 1961 is not going anywhere. The story won't get stale between now and when I do another episode of it. ;) Odyssey might.

So... get ready for more frequent Odyssey again.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh.... but P.S.

The Space Shuttle series, Project Enterprise, IS continuing each week, or every other week, still. I need that finished before the 80s.

Hey, just saw your latest Shuttle Video, and I was thinking: maybe some part of the issues with it beeing so tail heavy when flying is that the shuttle engines are still tilted upwards (as to balance the whole assembly of orbiter, SRBs and ET for the "real" descent) You should lock them in a straight position when flying without the ET and SRBs attached, otherwise the engines will lift your nose, as seen in the video. Also, as it's not supposed for powered athmospheric flight, so maybe some drop tests from a ultra-high launch tower would give better results than balancing its aerodynamocs out to the (wrong) powered-by-tilted-upwards-engines-condition. By doing so, i think itwill be very nose heavy under gliding conditions.

So i see you have a GitHub Felbourn with some of the craft files. Id love to be able to try out your creations here however the only craft i can load is the Jupiter C. Im running on Linux so i have just about every major parts pack there is. But apparetly im missing whatever you use for those lights and some sort of seperator motor for the most part.

Hey, just saw your latest Shuttle Video, and I was thinking: maybe some part of the issues with it beeing so tail heavy when flying is that the shuttle engines are still tilted upwards (as to balance the whole assembly of orbiter, SRBs and ET for the "real" descent) You should lock them in a straight position when flying without the ET and SRBs attached, otherwise the engines will lift your nose, as seen in the video. Also, as it's not supposed for powered athmospheric flight, so maybe some drop tests from a ultra-high launch tower would give better results than balancing its aerodynamocs out to the (wrong) powered-by-tilted-upwards-engines-condition. By doing so, i think itwill be very nose heavy under gliding conditions.

Thanks for putting some brain power to this for me. In an effort to help direct your ideas, I have lots of things I can say about it. :)

1. I'm trying to replicate the real shuttle, which lands with an engine configuration the same as mine. See video below.

2. It's the CSS. The parts have a fixed shape that matches the real shuttle. I can't remodel them, but would not want to anyway since #1 above.

3. KSP parts use "point mass" to determine overall center of balance. The angle of the engines won't matter. If you're saying I should change it mid-flight, that would require custom programming since the standard gimbal module does not support this. Also, even if it did, normal gimbal is not going to change the CoM.

4. CoL and CoM have the greatest impact on lift and drag moments. There is one CoM. The engines affect it, but it's a constant once determined. They can't affect the nose on their own unless they have a non-standard aerodynamic module attached. They have the default module, and in fact they are shielded under FAR by the rest of the orbiter.

5. Things used to work ok (seen in a previous video) before FAR values were added, so it's something about FAR. The engines did not change between those videos.

6. A take-off from the runway should be possible even if the craft was not meant to fly under power. The only reason it's not testable in real life has to do with CoM and fuel+propulsion. In KSP I can cheat with infinite fuel. If it can fly with no power then it should fly with power. Velocity is velocity. Again, this worked ok in a previous video before FAR modules were added.

7. Another viewer noticed the tail brake was on. It's possible this was the problem. I have not tested it since they noticed this.

This is a hold up!!!! If there isn't a Project Alexandria on Monday I am going to blow up 100 Kerbals!! I mean it!!!

On a lighter note this mod seems right up your alley!http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100984-0-25-NEBULA-space-engineering-Decals-Update%21-Quality-fix-more

It adds a completely different experience that I honestly didn't expect. Its really cool to see decals on the upperstage and fairings like in real life.

This is a hold up!!!! If there isn't a Project Alexandria on Monday I am going to blow up 100 Kerbals!! I mean it!!!

On a lighter note this mod seems right up your alley!http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/100984-0-25-NEBULA-space-engineering-Decals-Update%21-Quality-fix-more

It adds a completely different experience that I honestly didn't expect. Its really cool to see decals on the upperstage and fairings like in real life.

If not his alley, than mine!

My heart goes out to those 100 Kerbals. Good bye, my friends!

Thanks for putting some brain power to this for me. In an effort to help direct your ideas, I have lots of things I can say about it. :)

1. I'm trying to replicate the real shuttle, which lands with an engine configuration the same as mine. See video below.

2. It's the CSS. The parts have a fixed shape that matches the real shuttle. I can't remodel them, but would not want to anyway since #1 above.

3. KSP parts use "point mass" to determine overall center of balance. The angle of the engines won't matter. If you're saying I should change it mid-flight, that would require custom programming since the standard gimbal module does not support this. Also, even if it did, normal gimbal is not going to change the CoM.

4. CoL and CoM have the greatest impact on lift and drag moments. There is one CoM. The engines affect it, but it's a constant once determined. They can't affect the nose on their own unless they have a non-standard aerodynamic module attached. They have the default module, and in fact they are shielded under FAR by the rest of the orbiter.

5. Things used to work ok (seen in a previous video) before FAR values were added, so it's something about FAR. The engines did not change between those videos.

6. A take-off from the runway should be possible even if the craft was not meant to fly under power. The only reason it's not testable in real life has to do with CoM and fuel+propulsion. In KSP I can cheat with infinite fuel. If it can fly with no power then it should fly with power. Velocity is velocity. Again, this worked ok in a previous video before FAR modules were added.

7. Another viewer noticed the tail brake was on. It's possible this was the problem. I have not tested it since they noticed this.

Hey, thanks for the reply. I think I had some problems transforming my thoughts into english words.

What I meant is, that when the shuttle engines are running (as they where in your video, as you tried taking off powered by the SSME) as they are pointing up, the force generated by them has two components, one greather part pushing the shuttle forqward, a smaller one pushing the end of the shuttle down, any by this, the nose of the shuttle up (like giving some elevator trim). Thus, if you would make changes to counteract this upward momentum, and then flying without the SSME turned on, the whole craft would tend to go nose down. I dont know that the css could not angle its engines straight, as i am using the KSO shuttle, and beeing non-realistic, it has wide range of gimbal movement, and if you angle iits angines completely up, it will show quite a tail heavy, nose lifting behaviour.

untitled-1ycp96.png

Oh I see. Well my method for all the "real" tests is to tap the infinite fuel cheat just enough to get thrust long enough to get some velocity. After that I turn it back off and see if it glides. If I left it on in the video that's because by then I was sure it did not matter. Now I understand what you mean. In some pre-FAR tests this method of tapping fuel on and off worked to get velocity and gliding without crashes.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.