Project Alexandria: a history of spaceflight done in Real Solar System

Felbourn

The next step of the planning goes like this... I estimate times and scribble some notes about why I might not want to do a segment.

PART 1

PART 2

Surveyor 7 - maybe just mention it since it's related to upcoming Apollo stuff but otherwise nothing extraordinary

Apollo 5 - first test of LM, but on the other hand we've seen a mock-up with the first Saturn V and we've seen a Saturn 1B and the more I show Apollo missions before #11 the less impactful that will be... PLUS it might take a lot to retro fit a LM into my Saturnn 1B (not sure yet) so maybe do a very short mention with focus on firing the LM engine

Apollo 6 - almost the same as Apollo 4, though there is at least a chance to discuss pogo damage (is that enough to make it worth it?) at least mention flight, maybe not fly it

Zond 4 - definitely discuss as part of Zond 5 launch, probably by showing the way it failed as a side clip

ESRO 2B - not sure yet... needs more research7

Kourou - definitely mention the launch site since we still use it today, probably fire off some small solid rocket for a few seconds to show that I've added the site to my RSS install (very quick scene)

Zond 5 - for sure, big cinematic production, several minutes

Tanegashima - same thing... very quick mention and show new site in RSS configs (if these do not already exist... they might. I didn't check yet)

Apollo 7 - first piloted Saturn flight, and YET... all the individual components are old news, so still not sure what to do about this one

Soyuz 2 and 3 - only Soyuz progress shown so far was a death, so maybe want to show these to demonstrate their current progress, namely two Soyuz at same time, manned Soyuz flights, rendezvous, failed docking attempt, successful return; discuss space race status and changes being made to the programs after deaths Korolev and Komarov

OAO 1 - needs more research, TDB

Apollo 8 - for sure, full segment, maybe cinematic production, end episode on a high note

Edited by Felbourn

22 hours ago, Felbourn said:

The next step of the planning goes like this... I estimate times and scribble some notes about why I might not want to do a segment.

PART 1

PART 2

Surveyor 7 - maybe just mention it since it's related to upcoming Apollo stuff but otherwise nothing extraordinary

Apollo 5 - first test of LM, but on the other hand we've seen a mock-up with the first Saturn V and we've seen a Saturn 1B and the more I show Apollo missions before #11 the less impactful that will be... PLUS it might take a lot to retro fit a LM into my Saturnn 1B (not sure yet) so maybe do a very short mention with focus on firing the LM engine

Apollo 6 - almost the same as Apollo 4, though there is at least a chance to discuss pogo damage (is that enough to make it worth it?) at least mention flight, maybe not fly it

Zond 4 - definitely discuss as part of Zond 5 launch, probably by showing the way it failed as a side clip

ESRO 2B - not sure yet... needs more research7

Kourou - definitely mention the launch site since we still use it today, probably fire off some small solid rocket for a few seconds to show that I've added the site to my RSS install (very quick scene)

Zond 5 - for sure, big cinematic production, several minutes

Tanegashima - same thing... very quick mention and show new site in RSS configs (if these do not already exist... they might. I didn't check yet)

Apollo 7 - first piloted Saturn flight, and YET... all the individual components are old news, so still not sure what to do about this one

Soyuz 2 and 3 - only Soyuz progress shown so far was a death, so maybe want to show these to demonstrate their current progress, namely two Soyuz at same time, manned Soyuz flights, rendezvous, failed docking attempt, successful return; discuss space race status and changes being made to the programs after deaths Korolev and Komarov

OAO 1 - needs more research, TDB

Apollo 8 - for sure, full segment, maybe cinematic production, end episode on a high note

I'm a little unsure myself Bob. If I were you I would definitely do Apollo 5, Apollo 7, Soyuz 3, and Apollo 8 though!

The next step is to lay out a possible timeline for the video.

PART 1

PART 2

PART 3

1968 Timeline
segment minutes notes
intro 0.5  
apollo 5 1.0 partial launch
surveyor 7 0.5 mention
LM test 2.0 LM discussion and engine tests
apollo 6 1.5 mention pogo
ESRO 2B 0.5 mention mission
kourou 1.5 site description and small test?
zond 5 10.0 also mention Zond 4 and prior tests
tanegashima 1.5 site description and small test?
apollo 7 2.0 short flight, focus on orbits
soyuz 2&3 8.0 split screen launch, focus on 3
OAO 2 0.5 mention mission
apollo 8 5.0 standard flight
TOTAL 34.5  

I start with time guesses. In this case it came out to 43 minutes total. I then trim some of the numbers until I get closer to 30 minutes. I can't imagine getting much closer than about 34.5 minutes for this one, so I stopped trimming once I had trimmed down to that point. The real numbers always come out a bit different anyway.

Part 4 is to build ships, fly them, record the results, and get ready for video editing.

Part 5 is editing. I mix all the tracks and narrate as I go along. Sometimes I do the tracks first and fit my narration to that. Sometimes I narrate first and trim video until I can get it to fit the narration. It's always a cases by case decision.

Part 6 is post-production. I add music, sound effects, pictures, and so on.

Part 7 is baking. That's what I call it when I combine all the layers and make a final video. I watch the video start to end. If I see problems, I fix them and re-bake. Once I am happy, I upload to YouTube and watch it one more time actually ON YouTube, to see it exactly as you're going to see it. On whatever Monday follows the upload, I release it.

Edited by Felbourn

I was glued to the screen the whole last episode of Alexandria. Bob, thank you so much for such a tremendous amount of work you're putting into these episodes. Those Soyuz separators :3

hJAt0sC.gif

Edited by Enceos

Sounds exciting for 1969 I would recommend that you do Apollo 10, Apollo 11 (Of Course), and Mariner 6 and 7 at least. You can probably do Apollo 12 as well. I would definitely do those 2 Mariner missions though. For 2 reasons. First, you haven't shown a Mars Mission in a while, second, that was the first time that 2 interplanetary missions were launched in the same launch window.

Oh, are we recommending missions for the next video already?

Soyuz 4 & 5- First docking of two manned spacecraft

Luna 15- "culmination" of the space race, USSR released the flight plan so it wouldn't crash with Apollo 11

Zond 7- A mention, probably. First Zond craft to make a safe flight for the crew.

Soyuz 6, 7, & 8- 3 craft in close formation. In-space welding.

Azur- FRG's first satellite. A mention, maybe?

Skynet 1A- How could you not mention this real-life Terminator reference? :)

Thanks again for doing this series.

Honestly, anything obvious is already going to get covered. Telling me "you should put Apollo 11 in the video for 1969" just raises my eyebrows quizzically. Even any mention of Apollo, or any Soyuz, or Proton, or any probes I have already started tracking like Mariner or Venera and so on; the common stuff is not likely to miss my attention. Reminding me about ESRO-2B and OAO-2 would have been useful for 1969 if I had not already know about them, for example. Those were firsts, but are less well known.

I use web sites like this and this and this to plan out my missions. To be truly helpful, find things that were esoteric firsts that I might miss, or make unusual suggestions like "mention Skynet because it could be funny." That kind of stuff helps me more. Thanks guys!

Here's a question: How many Apollo moon landing missions will be skipped? I'm fairly sure Apollo 11, 13, and 15 are going to be the only ones actually shown in a full length segment, but maybe you have plans to do them all?

Edited by Sanic

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

Just wanted to check in and let you know how much I've enjoyed this series-- thanks much for all the work you've put into it.

And... I would never presume to recommend/request content for the videos, but I have to admit I'd really love to see you blow up an N1 at Baikonur 110... ;)

Keep up the good work, sir.

39 minutes ago, boccelounge said:

Long-time lurker, first-time poster...

Just wanted to check in and let you know how much I've enjoyed this series-- thanks much for all the work you've put into it.

And... I would never presume to recommend/request content for the videos, but I have to admit I'd really love to see you blow up an N1 at Baikonur 110... ;)

Keep up the good work, sir.

Welcome! 100 quatloos on the newcomer.

On February 1, 2016 at 9:28 PM, Dman979 said:

Oh, are we recommending missions for the next video already?

Soyuz 4 & 5- First docking of two manned spacecraft

Luna 15- "culmination" of the space race, USSR released the flight plan so it wouldn't crash with Apollo 11

Zond 7- A mention, probably. First Zond craft to make a safe flight for the crew.

Soyuz 6, 7, & 8- 3 craft in close formation. In-space welding.

Azur- FRG's first satellite. A mention, maybe?

Skynet 1A- How could you not mention this real-life Terminator reference? :)

Thanks again for doing this series.

Yup Bob has stated before that if you want to mention a mission, you should do it 2 episodes in advance. What I'm saying is that once he has an episode of Alexandria uploaded the next episode is already planned out and filming has started. So, we can petition for 1969 missions now. And once he uploads 1968, we can petition for 1970 missions.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.