Project Alexandria: a history of spaceflight done in Real Solar System

Felbourn

On 22/03/2016 at 2:18 AM, Felbourn said:

I had a shower thought this morning... 

First, the facts:

1. I will eventually need all the major space stations for Alexandria episodes.
  2. I love satellites (space stations count as satellites).
  3. I always need two or three series going so that I can alternate back and forth to keep my interest in the game fresh.
  4. I only have Project Alexandria right now. Ares is not ready to start because 1.1 is at least ten weeks from "ready for Ares."

So the thought was...

What if I created a new series called "Ultimate Stations" where I only spend time on specific space stations in each episode...

That idea led me to this thinking:

1. I could use the footage from the series to augment my Alexandria episodes when the time comes.
  2. I'd have three series going at the same time once Project Ares is running, so there would be variety in my gaming.
  3. I could release Ultimate Stations as a mod! A mod for this series could be launched in Stock or RSS and would have all the usual flair and greebling that you've come to expect from me.

I'm very tempted by this idea.

I think this sounds like an awesome idea,I love space stations.  Would you just do complex stations like the ISS and MIR, or would you also do the monolithic stations like Skylab and Salyut?

All stations.

Probably chronologically.

I started looking into this but then decided that 1.1 is still the best place to do this work, so I am probably going to do something like this but still not start until 1.1 is out and mods are updated.

That left me needing yet another/different idea, and the new idea is to learn USI-MKS/LS in a Kerbin-scale game so that I can take what I learn into Project Ares where I plan to use those mods more.

28 minutes ago, raidernick said:

I can easily see him getting 10 episodes out of it and that's if he just sticks to real life examples only for the series.

Yea, it could easily be 50 episodes.

9 hours ago, Felbourn said:

All stations.

Probably chronologically.

I started looking into this but then decided that 1.1 is still the best place to do this work, so I am probably going to do something like this but still not start until 1.1 is out and mods are updated.

That left me needing yet another/different idea, and the new idea is to learn USI-MKS/LS in a Kerbin-scale game so that I can take what I learn into Project Ares where I plan to use those mods more.

Yea, it could easily be 50 episodes.

I just watched "The Mir chronicles" video, its fairly recent with lots of footage one could find only in russian documentaries. You're totally right ) "Mir" herself will require at least 20 episodes of attention.

So @Felbourn: If I understand. In Ares you're using RSS AND going to recreate WHAT IF's in KSP? IE: AAP or Space Task Group (#2 set up by Nixon) if It was chosen over the shuttle and fully funded all its concepts (IE: Apollo Lunar base, NERVA, Giant Space Stations, and exploration of Mars).

Something to that effect, yea. I have not chosen exactly what I will do yet. I'll mix role-playing with RSS exploration. It'll be totally fictional, but probably based on ideas and suggestions that never happened (or have not happened yet but are possible).

It will definitely include Mars exploration. Ares is the Greek god of war. The Romans completely copied the Greek god of war and just changed his name. What name? Mars, the god of war.

3 hours ago, Felbourn said:

The one by ZDF Enterprises? Of something different on YouTube?

The one by ZDF is probably the same as the one by Jones International University I found on youtube. Full video name: Life on a Space Station (The Mir Chronicles)

4 hours ago, Felbourn said:

Something to that effect, yea. I have not chosen exactly what I will do yet. I'll mix role-playing with RSS exploration. It'll be totally fictional, but probably based on ideas and suggestions that never happened (or have not happened yet but are possible).

It will definitely include Mars exploration. Ares is the Greek god of war. The Romans completely copied the Greek god of war and just changed his name. What name? Mars, the god of war.

I would LOVE to see the AAP LESA base. :D That would be awesome.

OR: At the very least Constellation's missions to the moon with the altair and Altair Cargo lander for base Delivery. :D 

Edited by davidy12

On 3/14/2016 at 8:30 PM, SpartanJack17 said:

I've been watching through that site in my breaks, I've been at it for almost a month and haven't got to the landing yet.  It's awesome.

Thanks for the shout-out guys. I thought I'd jump in here and beg for votes. Apollo17.org has been nominated for a webby. If you're enjoying the site, please take a second to vote for it. https://pv.webbyawards.com/2016/websites/general-website/science

Install of 1.1.1 and RSS and Kopernicus and all the rest of the mods that make Alexandria possible has begun. It will be a few weeks before I can finish installs and make a new video, of course. I'll also be looking into starting Ares, so that could delay things even more for 1969 (the rest of it).

On 4/29/2016 at 8:53 AM, Felbourn said:

ETC functionality has been part of RealFuels for a while now. I have been getting it via that for maybe a year now. You don't need more than the DLL to make it work.

It's so good I came to your thread, I didn't know that :) thanks

@Felbourn Where can I take a look at your SRB thrust curve configs for RealFuels?

The following one, which worked for me in ETC didn't work with RF, probably I need to rename the modules?

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@RESOURCE[SolidFuel],!MODULE[ModuleSRBThrust]]
{
    !MODULE[ModuleEngineThrustController] {}

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleEngineThrustController
        minimumThrustPercent = 0.01
        canAdjustAtAnytime = false
        showItemInList = false
    }

MODULE
    {
        name = ModuleSRBThrust
        resourceName = SolidFuel
        useTimeCurve = false
        thrustCurve
        {
            key = 0.00 0.01
            key = 0.02 0.25
            key = 0.15 0.48
            key = 0.35 0.65
            key = 0.55 0.72
            key = 0.65 0.81
            key = 0.70 0.90
            key = 0.78 0.81
            key = 0.80 0.90
            key = 1.0  1.00
        }
    }
}

Edited by Enceos

• 3 weeks later...

I still can't get 1.1.2 to work with all mods, like TweakScale for example. I was debugging the actual TS source last night but found no bug yet.

On 4/29/2016 at 8:35 PM, Enceos said:

Where can I take a look at your SRB thrust curve configs for RealFuels?

https://github.com/Felbourn/Project-Alexandria/blob/master/GameData/Felbourn/RealFuels/solidCurves.cfg

2 hours ago, Felbourn said:

I still can't get 1.1.2 to work with all mods, like TweakScale for example. I was debugging the actual TS source last night but found no bug yet.

https://github.com/Felbourn/Project-Alexandria/blob/master/GameData/Felbourn/RealFuels/solidCurves.cfg

Thanks for the link. TweakScale works great for me, I didn't have any issues. Probably it's a mod conflict in your case.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2016 at 9:03 AM, Enceos said:

TweakScale works great for me

Yep, it was a TweakScale conflict with RealFuels. I had to reprogram TS myself to get it working, but I did, and now I have one install that can play both Ares and Alexandria.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.