Anyone up for barn raising?

SQUAD

I think that this is a good direction, but the assets need (a lot of) work, and the art should be made to look more like pioneer aviation-era facilities. The KSC should not look cobbled together, but merely low-tech.

I think that this is a good direction, but the assets need (a lot of) work, and the art should be made to look more like pioneer aviation-era facilities. The KSC should not look cobbled together, but merely low-tech.

The cobbled together look is what they were aiming for. That's what KSP is all about, cobbled together stuff doing amazing things.

The cobbled together look is what they were aiming for. That's what KSP is all about, cobbled together stuff doing amazing things.

Sorry, not anymore. This notion needs to die already. KSP is about real rocket science, they're calling it a simulator in most promotional media. It's supposed to be realistic, and it's getting closer with each release. Even though it's simplified, both visuals and gameplay are moving away from "cobbled together and cheap", especially in career. This KSC definitely looks too cheap and cobbled together. There's nothing wrong with using trailers and a barn (that's roughly what they used in pioneer years), but they should look well made.

More than ever I want Kerbin to have cities and towns scattered across the globe. There's a lot of supporting civilization that needs to be in place for dilapidated camping trailers to be so common.

THIS. Whether its procedural or designed by hand, I don't really care, Kerbin just seems so empty and this really shows the varied architecture of what could exist. This and more vegetation. Hopefully they get added in before the final launch.

I hope that one of the rewards for upgrading the Tracking Station is being able to discover more planets (you start out only seeing Mun and Minmus, then go on to see more planets).

I actually have an issue with this idea because we knew a majority of the planets existed long, long before the first telescopes were invented. Once telescopes were invented in the 15-1600's, we were able to find the last outer planets and a majority of the moons for the planets discovered long before. Even Pluto, which wasn't found until the early 1900's, was discovered decades before any space program existed. Really the only plausible discoveries being made by the tracking station are asteroids, exoplanets (if they get added), and possibly some of the smallest moons that already or will exist.

Edited by ImJake

To be honest this is actually more realistic then what most of the people on here think the real progression of NASA's and Rocosmos's space center was like. They were crude and poorly built to begin with, but with time you get to what we have today, and even before we got there we were using barns at the White Sands Test Range. This is perfectly realistic. Though I do have to agree with the textures being a bit off especially the observatory.

To be honest this is actually more realistic then what most of the people on here think the real progression of NASA's and Rocosmos's space center was like. They were crude and poorly built to begin with, but with time you get to what we have today, and even before we got there we were using barns at the White Sands Test Range. This is perfectly realistic.

For the early experiments. By the time they got to actual "let's stick a creature in a rocket" stuff, they had real buildings.

Where do you think this is going? They've already said that career mode you'll start out in a very hokey space center and will have to upgrade the buildings over time so you can... well I don't know but I suspect that it'll involve not being able to launch a certain mass of ship until you've upgraded your launch pad, or research more science until you've upgraded your research facilities. Or track further than a certain distance until you've upgraded your tracking station.

If that's where you think this is going, I hope you're right about it.

Interesting take, but I can't say I'm a fan of this.

Just being candid.

Given the big feature in the 0.25 update, surely this thread would be better titled "Anyone up for barn razing?"...

Quoted so that brilliant pun doesn't languish at the bottom of a page. :)

Edit: Weird, this post was at the top of a page when I posted it.

Edited by Red Iron Crown

Meh. I had this whole big post about positivity and trying to be constructive in your criticism, but I don't think it'll be well received here anymore. There's entirely too much negativity on the forums here, and I have to say, it's burning me out and making me really not want to be active in this community anymore, at least not on here. Perhaps reddit or another forum will be a place more conductive to the kind of community I prefer, but the folks here are just too quick to jump down throats and shoot down Squads and others' ideas if they do not fit their own vision 100%.

All I can say on this is: It's easy to whine and complain when you yourself are not putting your own vision out there for others to stomp on. Give Squad some benefit of the doubt, and try to remain helpful and supporting, rather than tearing things down so much. It drives people away.

Given the big feature in the 0.25 update, surely this thread would be better titled "Anyone up for barn razing?"...
Quoted so that brilliant pun doesn't languish at the bottom of a page. :)

Edit: Weird, this post was at the top of a page when I posted it.

I presume someone must have deleted a post somewhere earlier in the thread...

Also a bit shocked they can crank all this out, but still haven't gotten even a preview model for the girlbals out yet.

Agreed. Sure, we don't know how much time they spent on these models, but creating the female kerbal ought to be doable by altering the existing male model.

Someone made this poseable kerbal model, and it didn't take them too long to create a female head upon request.

As there is already a pretty generally accepted veiw of what female kerbals might look like.

rdwulfe, Im super with you. Like I know people are passionate about this game, which is good! But people seem to get really weirdly protective about small changes here. Just relax and wait to see how the upgrade system works, thats whats important.

Im by no means uncritical, but I love this style, the ramshackle especially, its hilarious and beautiful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.