Anyone up for barn raising?

SQUAD

The hostility here is surprising.

Yeah the wooden path is weird, but that can be fixed.

Personally, my problem is that there are some useless buildings. I think a shack for Mission Control, a few shacks with a shack-observatory for R&D, another lone shack for Admin, a group of RVs for Astronaut Complex, a flattened out area of dirt surrounded with sandbags as a launch facility, and a bigger shack that's a horizontal construction facility with train tracks leading to the pad smas the "VAB". Some dirt paths between them, and you're all set. It's humble and not too grandiose. The barn VAB is very grandiose, and not really "humble" because of its size.

Don't get me wrong, I like the KSC in this stage, but the barn is a bit big. This stage should be an interim between Shackville and the current KSC.

Reading through this thread I've seen a number of calls for some cows to be added....

If cows are added, I'm going to grab one with the claw, and I'm going to launch that cow into space. I don't know how hardy Kerbin cows are, but if they can tolerate a hard vaccum, I'm going to grab enough of them to place around my Mun base.

--pest

Ditto. Holding out for Cows to put around the Bop Kraken.

Edited to add:

I don't remember noticing a shoreline in the pictures of Old McKerbal's Space Center. It would be cool to see the ability to build new KSPs in different areas, if the funds are spent. I would spend a couple million Kerbucks to build a space center in the middle of the big crater on Kerbin.

Edited by Alizerin

Its harder to take away vertices than to add them...

Not always. There are tools for that, like decimating in blender, or vertex dissolving.

As far as building LODs are concerned though I think it'd be easier to start simple and add detail. This isn't an organic model like a rock or a person, where you'd do the opposite.

The hostility here is surprising.

Yeah the wooden path is weird, but that can be fixed.

Hopefully by modders, if Squad expose the KSC assets. I'd love to have a go at a building for a change. I kinda doubt the devs will bother changing it too much. The response here (as I see it ) has been cool. It took a snowstorm to change their minds about experience.

Edit

Looks like I was wrong.

Edited by Cpt. Kipard

OK, my late to the game 2 cents:

1) Talk about quality of textures...fine, I'll roll with it.

2) Talk about style: worthy of having, but consider this: Not everyone necessarily views this game the same way. I kind of find it hilarious that some complaints are essentially based off of the premise of the person telling the people who made Kerbals how Kerbals are supposed to behave and think. Being inconsistent doesn't help (saying that Kerbals are good engineers but don't care about safety and then immediately go into why they wouldn't use a wood barn because it's unsafe springs immediately to mind).

But here is my thing: part of the arguments I've seen are based around the idea the Kerbals are good at building things, even if they aren't good at safety. Of course, a lot of that depends on how you play the same. I'm sure there are plays that build rockets that are both models of engineering and safety. I bet most players do not, however. And while the rockets may be models of engineering (and even that is debatable in many cases), there is no guarantee that they will build a rocket that is of sound engineering. Indeed, in many ways engineering and safety go hand in hand. I can still remember some of the complaints about B9's new KSC and about how it was too nice and spiffy for Kerbals. Now apparently the Kerbal's tier one primitive space center is now too primitive.

I guess in short my thoughts are this: if textures are bad and you say so, fine. Perhaps if you have ideas of how to make their general vision of what the Tier 1 space center should look like better, then fine. But I'm kinda shaky on the idea of basically being like "this is not how Kerbals would build a space center, even a Tier 1 one" because, really, how do we know? And if anyone would know, it would be Squad.

Just because everyone has a different vision of what T1 space center should look like does not make up for the poor quality of the textures and models released in the preview.

As I said, I'm pretty neutral on whether or not your starting area is a bought farm. Whatever it is, it should look good (no sloppy texturing and modelling) and consistent.

Just because everyone has a different vision of what T1 space center should look like does not make up for the poor quality of the textures and models released in the preview.

As I said, I'm pretty neutral on whether or not your starting area is a bought farm. Whatever it is, it should look good (no sloppy texturing and modelling) and consistent.

I only know a few people who don't start sloppy. Most do, and make it better.

Exactly. Hence the response on this thread, to point out the errors in hopes that Squad will fix them.

But people are saying that they hope this is just a WIP when it's only been a few weeks. Of course it's a WIP!

Only a small minority of complaints were pointing out errors, most were saying they didn't like it and they voiced it loudly with lots of fluff words.

But people are saying that they hope this is just a WIP when it's only been a few weeks. Of course it's a WIP!

Only a small minority of complaints were pointing out errors, most were saying they didn't like it and they voiced it loudly with lots of fluff words.

Yes. That is just how complaints work.

You have some people pointing out errors and suggestions for improving on said errors, and you have a lot of people voicing their displeasure without pointing out errors. Thus, the issue is brought to the attention of the developers which can then separate the actual criticism from people simply voicing their displeasure.

While the second group is larger and more annoying, they are vital to the success of the complaint as the sheer number of them convinces the devs that this isn't some minor issue only a few people care about, but a major thing lots of people dislike and needs to be changed.

Sorry if this makes it sound like I'm talking down to you, I'm just trying to explain my stance on this thing. :)

Yes. That is just how complaints work.

You have some people pointing out errors and suggestions for improving on said errors, and you have a lot of people voicing their displeasure without pointing out errors. Thus, the issue is brought to the attention of the developers which can then separate the actual criticism from people simply voicing their displeasure.

While the second group is larger and more annoying, they are vital to the success of the complaint as the sheer number of them convinces the devs that this isn't some minor issue only a few people care about, but a major thing lots of people dislike and needs to be changed.

Sorry if this makes it sound like I'm talking down to you, I'm just trying to explain my stance on this thing. :)

Either way people need a lot more respect for the devs, w/o them we wouldn't have ksp at all

At first, thank you Squad, for yet another cool update and insight into the things you did and those to come. Personally i love the idea, starting with a barn and some lousy bashed together rocket parts and work myself up to a glorious Space Agency. I am convinced that the upcoming update will be great!

I really don´t get some peoples harsh comments, when it gets to upcoming KSP updates... As i usually consider all screenshots, infos and stuff to be WIP, i don´t like to complain about anything. But to take position in this discussion... i can understand those people saying, that some of the models and textures still need some care. Having the existing look in mind, the cartoony look of the farm KSC is taken too far in my opinion. The current rocket parts and the KSC have a nice and defined look to them - the trailers at the barn for example are out of shape and lack some polygon and texture detail right now when comparing them to that stuff we have. Another good example is the texture detail on those silos or tanks.

So, if those screens where final from your point of view, please take my post as constructive criticism. Otherwise, please just ignore it. :)

• 5 months later...

It was pulled from 0.90 because of all the complaints. It was supposed to be in 1.0, but apparently it wasn't quite finished in time.

Also, posting on threads which have been inactive for over a month ("necroposting") is frowned upon unless it brings something new to the discussion, which I guess this does, so forget I said anything.

Actually I'm surprised this thread wasn't locked after the initial reactions to the barn.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.