OpenGL suddenly not working via shortcut - x86, 0.25

Last night, I tried to launch KSP like I always do - via a shortcut with -force-opengl (non-Steam). It didn't work, it doesn't even get to the loading splash screen - just a few seconds of black, then a flash of the desktop, rinse and repeat. It completely freezes and I had to Alt-F4 out of it.

I have mods installed (or I wouldn't be using OpenGL), but I didn't change anything from last night to this morning when it booted fine from the shortcut.

A user on reddit had the same problem - OpenGL just suddenly stopped working. I was able to 'fix' it by launching the exe directly which of course led to a CTD halfway through loading. Try via the shprtcut again and it worked fine.

I looked at my log and the last entries are something about Atmosphere From Ground fallback shader not available or something repeated about 10 times then nothing and this other user on reddit reports the same thing. At first I thought it might be something from RSS, but removing that didn't help. Put it back in, leave it overnight without touching it and it works fine :confused:

So yeah... I'll be honest and say I haven't a scooby what all these fallback shaders and other various graphical display terms mean when talking about KSP so bear with me if I don't understand what you tell me. Let me know if you need my computer specs, I'll post a DxDiag.

What do you mean with left it overnight? Did you let KSP run in it's frozen state? Did you only let the PC run? Did you restart the PC?

Sorry for being unclear - I reinstalled RSS as removing it changed nothing and stopped trying to start KSP via either method. Fell asleep watching Futurama, computer stayed on overnight. Woke up, started KSP and it worked fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.