Clockwork_werewolf

tRB7ENr.png

JYA0UPV.png

Download Site

Kerbalstuff.com : Fuel it all

Curseforge.com : Fuel it all

Dropbox : Fuel it all

Wordy Stuff

I have always been annoyed that for a stock game (I will address FAR later) adding nose cones to a rocket was counter productive, even if it looked nice. So I decided to fill them with fuel. While adding a mod like FAR will make nose cones useful again, it does change the way the whole game is played in atmospheres and some people don't want to do that. Also any coded mod can have problems when KSP updates. I realise that I am using the brilliant ModuleManager, but due to it's nature it is less likely to have update problems. As all this mod does is add fuel to items it is also very unlikely to break even if ModuleManager does. With the introduction of Tweakables adding fuel to an item is also reversible without taking out the mod and as it's mass it not changed (apart from tow of them) it is almost exactly the same when empty.

The Technical part: The first thing I did was decide on which parts to add fuel to. I decided on all adapters and nose cones that didn't have another purpose (intakes and air sensors are not included) and looked big enough to have fuel in them (FL-A5 Adapter is too flat). Next I used their mass and the mass to fuel ratio of standard tanks to work out their fuel. Most tanks have a empty fuel to mass ratio of 0.000625 (less is better) so I added the fuel at 0.000833. This means they are less mass efficient than most tanks. I can always make them less efficient if people think this is too high. Finally I added fuel and oxidizer in 11:9 ratio to the parts based on their starting mass. After all this I found the tiny nose cone held more fuel than a FL-T100 Fuel Tank and had the same mass as ten RAM intakes when empty. It is also three times heavier than the next largest cone. I suspect it's mass is a type and should be 0.01 not 0.1. So I changed it to such and its fuel is now 5.4:6.6. I also reduced the tiny to small adapter to 0.1 from 0.3 for the same reason.

Module manager: This mod requires the wonderful ModuleManager to work and as such is included in the download "Plugin developers and other modders have my explicit permission to redistribute this .dll with their own works, so long as you give credit to me and provide a URL back to this forum post." And here is the forum post. http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/31342-0-20-ModuleManager-1-3-for-all-your-stock-modding-needs Here is a screen shot of all the data if you are interested.

Data

1th1YaX.png?1

Change log:

Version 0.03

Added Licenses inside install file

Version 0.02

Added support for real fuels.

Edited small nose cones to have the correct maximum fuel limit.

Added installation instruction and license inside the file.

Removed Herobrine.

Version 0.01

Install release

Other Mods

Spare Parts http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107407-0-90-Clockwork-s-Spare-Parts-%28v1-00-15th-Jan-2015%29?p=1671858#post1671858

Prudent Strategies http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/107745-0-90-Clockwork-s-Prudent-Strategies-%28v1-01-18th-Jan-2015%29

Edited by Clockwork_werewolf

Well I felt anything that was that large and heavy needs a reason to be used apart from aesthetics. In reality most adapters are also decoplers and engine fairing for the next stage which would be more efficient but less modular and fun to build with I think. I think if the adapters were not used as fairings then they would have the tanks below jutting up from below and down from above into the space they take up.

Looks like good stuff Clockwork. It's not something I personally need (FAR gives plenty enough reason for aerodynamic nose cones, etc), and it might conflict with RealFuels, but it is definitely worthwhile for many.

Just one quick comment: give the rules a lookover. I'm pretty sure the post needs a license, and you need to have a link to the source code if applicable. As it seems yours is a config file with Module Manager attached, I am pretty sure source code is not meaningful, as it is all included as raw text in the download anyways.

Edited by Starman4308

I'll try this out tomorrow--it looks promising!

But could you put ModuleManager outside your install folder next time? MM should go into /GameData directly. And our *NIX-using comrades might appreciate you removing the space from your install folder name.

Looks like good stuff Clockwork. It's not something I personally need (FAR gives plenty enough reason for aerodynamic nose cones, etc), and it might conflict with RealFuels, but it is definitely worthwhile for many.

Just one quick comment: give the rules a lookover. I'm pretty sure the post needs a license, and you need to have a link to the source code if applicable. As it seems yours is a config file with Module Manager attached, I am pretty sure source code is not meaningful, as it is all included as raw text in the download anyways.

If there's no plugin of his (aka he just uses MM or something), there's no need to share the source code as there is none.

• 4 weeks later...

Updated with real fuels integration and a bug fix. Also changed the file set up to be more standard i.e module manager in the higher directory.

I'm afraid I couldn't add batteries with present setup but I could create a copy file with batteries instead of fuel.

Please continue to post with bugs and suggestions.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Oh shoot -- I came running to this to help with a fuel fix for a small plane. Anything similar for 1.0/1.0.2? I'll try this and see if it still works. Now that we have stock wings with fuel in them, is there a "better" way to do this in-game?

[edit] -- it works in 1.0+ but is of course missing any of the newly added cones, etc.

Edited by Beetlecat

• 10 months later...

So after getting laid off at work (with 40% of my team), I have some free time. I have updated (but not uploaded) the "new" 1.0.5 fuels to match their "new" mass, but the real fuels is not working. I will upload and do admin (fun!) once I have the real fuels problem sorted. I know 1.1 is in testing but its full of bugs at the moment and that can take up to 2 months (I hope it doesn't take that long) to fix. Also even at release module manager might need an update. The code I am using for realfules is below and works on two parts but with obvious pattern. Has there been a realfuels update?

@PART[adapterSmallMiniTall]:NEEDS[RealFuels]
{
    MODULE
    {  
    name = ModuleFuelTanks

volume = 200

type = Default

}
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.