[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

Suggestion: make yaw adjustments possible, in the same way as wheel tilt. So that we can make gears that retract sideways and other unusual setups. It would also make it easy to get rid of "veer of the runway" behavior. I guess the range of movement of 90 degrees to both sides would be good.

Having the light rotating in VAB to math the direction of the nose would be great addition as well. Not that necessary, but still good.

Some questions, as I'm assuming this works in .90: does the 'toggle heatshield' button actually add a deadly reentry heat shield? and if not, is there a way to make them have a heatshield?

It does work in 0.90 assuming you have an up-to-date firespitter.dll. The "toggle heatshield" button doesn't do anything except change the texture. I think if you wanted to add a heatshield you'd have to add it in by hand with a MM cfg, though it would be there all the time rather than switchable.

• 5 weeks later...

Waiting for an update, really need to fix the problem where the motors when turned on, don't mirror properly, so you have one side with wheel motors that drive backwards.

I have a question for BD, can you make the part of the gear that attaches to the craft a bit thinner, it sticks WAY up into a cargobay if attached to the bottom.

I have a question for BD, can you make the part of the gear that attaches to the craft a bit thinner, it sticks WAY up into a cargobay if attached to the bottom.

I can't... Its where the gear goes when it's retracted. Its either that, or the housing sticks out like KAX or stock gear.

I can't... Its where the gear goes when it's retracted. Its either that, or the housing sticks out like KAX or stock gear.

What about a steeper angle to the wheels so you can side attach them, like the Mig-23 landing gear.

MiG-23_NTW_1_94.jpg

A better solution for cargobay issues ( I have the same problem ) might be to just use pods, although that doesn't help when you want to put one in the middle - so we need to source some conformal blisters I guess. The only other option for the double gear is to use thinner tyres & rotate sideways, but I doubt that'd save much.

Hey BahamutoD. I'm doing some parts myself, and next on is to model custom gears, and i love your mod, and wanna to have it as base of my own.

Can i have you bess? I will do new models based on my stile, but following your directives for animation.

To see what i did so far, follow the link on my signature.

Thank you for your attention.

Love your gears and use it on my builds since the release.

Cheers!

Why not just use the offset tool to move it out of the cargo bay?

Why not just use the offset tool to move it out of the cargo bay?

With offset tool it will look like:

Its either that, or the housing sticks out like KAX or stock gear.

And for that reason gears are half cliping inside fuselage or cargo bay. For fuselage is not a big deal as for cargo bay. So it is up to players to learn how to design plane and overcome that problem. By placing on fuselage or thick wings for example, or having less space in cargo bay if there is no other solution.

Be creative, think about possible solutions, people were designining amazing crafts even with only stock gears.

With offset tool it will look like:

And for that reason gears are half cliping inside fuselage or cargo bay. For fuselage is not a big deal as for cargo bay. So it is up to players to learn how to design plane and overcome that problem. By placing on fuselage or thick wings for example, or having less space in cargo bay if there is no other solution.

Be creative, think about possible solutions, people were designining amazing crafts even with only stock gears.

I found away around it but sometimes I want gear under the craft or the design doesn't lend itself to bulky sidepods for gear.

Like this....

948FLnw.jpg

This is a simple small fighter I built a while ago and still use for some aerial survey missions. But its landing gear are not quite conformal to the craft... kind of a minor issue for me. But I have a larger scale of this craft that is a science/cargo hauler and it has a bay just above where those gear are placed, and those gear take up almost half of the usable space in the bay.

You can see the tops of the gear in this picture here in a different SSTO.

ITzEohu.jpg

I found away around it but sometimes I want gear under the craft or the design doesn't lend itself to bulky sidepods for gear.

Like this....

http://i.imgur.com/948FLnw.jpg

This is a simple small fighter I built a while ago and still use for some aerial survey missions. But its landing gear are not quite conformal to the craft... kind of a minor issue for me. But I have a larger scale of this craft that is a science/cargo hauler and it has a bay just above where those gear are placed, and those gear take up almost half of the usable space in the bay.

You can see the tops of the gear in this picture here in a different SSTO.

http://i.imgur.com/ITzEohu.jpg

Yep, I know the pain with those S3 cargo bays. That is a reason why I put landing gear on struct panel and then whole panel attached on wing instead of cargo bay.

I was used large thick wings, so I was able to hide landing gears inside.

As mentioned here, you'll need to update the Firespitter.dll. That's available from [thread=24551]Snjo's GitHub[/thread] (click the link for the source).

I've done this, with no landing gear joy. Adjustable Landing Gear (v1.0.4), and the latest Firespitter.dll (6.3.5) installed. Gear still drops through the runway.

I've done it successfully on another computer with similar/better specs, but I don't have access to that one right now. I do seem to recall that the gear's right-click menu in the SPH was much longer (more options) once I got things working properly. Am I missing something?

Try the firespitter.dll from USI (MKS/OKS) mod or KAX mod. They using updated version of firespitter plugin, that fix some of wierdeness.

Those fixes are reported on github, but I'm not sure if firespitter is officially updated or not yet.

Try the firespitter.dll from USI (MKS/OKS) mod or KAX mod. They using updated version of firespitter plugin, that fix some of wierdeness.

Those fixes are reported on github, but I'm not sure if firespitter is officially updated or not yet.

Thanks, I tried that. Still no luck!

My Firespitter.dll is now the version from KAX v2.3.4. Nothing else in the folder 'GameData/Firespitter/Plugins/', could that be the problem?

Edited by radiumskull

Help! I have Deadly Reentry and my landing gear keeps burning up! I've tried many different reentry profiles, with the heatshielding on and off, but to no avail, the temperature rises at about 100 degrees a second! I've seen Scott Manley use them with DRE and he had no problems... So i guess my question is: are they meant to burn up easily with DRE or does my KSP just have mod sickness?

Help! I have Deadly Reentry and my landing gear keeps burning up! I've tried many different reentry profiles, with the heatshielding on and off, but to no avail, the temperature rises at about 100 degrees a second! I've seen Scott Manley use them with DRE and he had no problems... So i guess my question is: are they meant to burn up easily with DRE or does my KSP just have mod sickness?

Wow, what speed are you at and what altitude?

I have never had gear burn up on a craft that was still in controlled flight.

Wow, what speed are you at and what altitude?

I have never had gear burn up on a craft that was still in controlled flight.

Btw, i have FAR installed too, not sure how much of a difference that makes. Anyway, usually going about 2300~2400 m/s when i start getting reentry effects, coming in from 100km orbit around Kerbin with periapsis just under the Kerbin's surface.

Btw, i have FAR installed too, not sure how much of a difference that makes. Anyway, usually going about 2300~2400 m/s when i start getting reentry effects, coming in from 100km orbit around Kerbin with periapsis just under the Kerbin's surface.

2300-2400m/s and getting re-entry affects, that means you are going nearly orbital velocity at less than 30km altitude. I am surprised your gear is the only thing that burns off.

You are coming in to steep, you should set your PE for about 5-10km above the surface of the ground and keep your altitude up as long as you can till your speed drops below mach 5 or 1700m/s.

Personally I prefer to not come down to 25km till my speed is around mach 4.5. But that's me.

And see my sig, I run FAR+DRE.