[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

Shouldn't the placement of the different sizes (small, medium, large) be moved in the tech tree to be consistent with the stock game's small, medium and large gear? All three sizes of the adjustable gear are currently in the landing node of the tech tree, which contains the stock small gear. The stock medium gear unlocks at advanced landing and the large gear at heavy landing.

I did install both.

Post your output_log.txt from KSP/KSP_Data.

I thought the alignment guide wasn't supposed to exist anymore...

It still works if you have Firespitter. Its just not included with bdanimationmodules alone.

I have the same problem after installing with CKAN - I also have BDarmoury, and that works - so not having the .DLL is out the question.

BDArmory doesn't use BDAnimationModules. I'm not entirely sure how CKAN works but I was told it updates BDAnimationModules as a separate mod. Double check that you have it, or install it manually.

Shouldn't the placement of the different sizes (small, medium, large) be moved in the tech tree to be consistent with the stock game's small, medium and large gear? All three sizes of the adjustable gear are currently in the landing node of the tech tree, which contains the stock small gear. The stock medium gear unlocks at advanced landing and the large gear at heavy landing.

Yes it should

Post your output_log.txt from KSP/KSP_Data.

BDArmory doesn't use BDAnimationModules. I'm not entirely sure how CKAN works but I was told it updates BDAnimationModules as a separate mod. Double check that you have it, or install it manually.

I also have BDynamics, and it shows BDanimationmodules.dll as installed on the GUI - all are fully updated as of seconds ago.

Hmm.. post your output log then so I can try to figure out what's wrong.

No need - I cleared CKAN's cache, (last time I reinstalled all my mods to try and fix it nothing changed) and reinstalled the mods I use - it works fine now. Seems like CKAN's cache file was damaged.

Found this in my log, did I break it when I had CKAN update me? (Im still very new to KSP)

[LOG 12:22:26.426] Load(Model): AdjustableLandingGear/Parts/bdAdjustableLandingGear/model

[ERR 12:22:26.438] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[ERR 12:22:26.438] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[LOG 12:22:26.443] Load(Model): AdjustableLandingGear/Parts/bdAdjustableLandingGear/model2

[ERR 12:22:26.449] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[ERR 12:22:26.450] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[LOG 12:22:26.451] Load(Model): AdjustableLandingGear/Parts/bdAdjustableLandingGearLarge/model

[ERR 12:22:26.455] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[ERR 12:22:26.456] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[ERR 12:22:26.457] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

[ERR 12:22:26.457] WheelCollider requires an attached Rigidbody to function.

No, that's entirely normal (even the stock wheels report the same error).

OK, thanks. I wonder why? Maybe its mismarked and should be a WRN (warning - still works but might be improper) instead of ERR (doesnt work and may cause errors in other place that depend on it).

Hi, I like your mod so much I am doing something I hardly ever do and that is post to the forums. Even though 1.0 added new land gear it does not feel right on certain plane's and with certain set ups, so when I saw this in the most recent post I had to try it out and boy am I glad I did.

Javascript is disabled. View full album

What I really like is the sound effects for gear up/down, touch down and the breaks and being able to adjust every thing to your like is so nice.

P.s. Great work on the mod and keep up the good work!

Edited by Kage Sendo

I get this error in the log:

[LOG 01:06:59.904] Load(Texture): AdjustableLandingGear/Parts/bdAdjustableLandingGear/particleTexture

[WRN 01:06:59.905] Texture load error in 'D:\Games\Kerbal Space Program v1.0.2 64bit\GameData\AdjustableLandingGear\Parts\bdAdjustableLandingGear\particleTexture.dds'

Am I meant to get extreme lag when I click "Toggle adjustment" and adjust the wheel height etc? I get no errors in the debug

Known issue, probably a quirk of stock tweakables.

Known issue, probably a quirk of stock tweakables.

Damn, well it's brilliant otherwise, I did however have no option to tweak when downloaded through CKAN, so I installed manually and it works fine

Hi, I like your mod so much I am doing something I hardly ever do and that is post to the forums. Even though 1.0 added new land gear it does not feel right on certain plane's and with certain set ups, so when I saw this in the most recent post I had to try it out and boy am I glad I did.

http://imgur.com/a/QSpDs

What I really like is the sound effects for gear up/down, touch down and the breaks and being able to adjust every thing to your like is so nice.

P.s. Great work on the mod and keep up the good work!

Thanks man!

I get this error in the log:

Perhaps there was an issue converting the particle texture to dds. I may have to revert it to png in the next update. Thanks for noticing that.

Damn, well it's brilliant otherwise, I did however have no option to tweak when downloaded through CKAN, so I installed manually and it works fine

I'm not sure but maybe BDAnimationModules needs to be updated separately when using CKAN.

Update v1.2.0

- Part mass scales with size

- Part cost scales with size

- Placed each gear in proper tech nodes

- Drag eliminated when retracted (stock aero)

- Reverted small particle texture to png

I don't know if there was a better way to do it, but for stock aero, I just completely turned off the drag model for the part when the gear is retracted.

These are now the only landing gears I use for my planes. All the others are far too bleh to use. lol. I would love to see a series of lander legs in this vein. From a small hydraulic leg to a heavy duty shock absorber, with upwards to 50-100mps crash tolerance.

The only thing I really want now are streamlined ones to help out with FAR. Sudden area profile changes can severely affect transonic flight, and the blocky nature of the... containers? (the thing that holds the folded gear) can hamper this.

Hello

Each time I toggle the adjustment for the gear in the SPH, all the game begins lagging very much.

When i toggle again it does not lag any more!

I also get this issue, but it's not only from this part, from other mods parts as well, so maybe it's something to do with the context menu itself.

- - - Updated - - -

These gears are great, but I just tried the large ones on my very heavy 175t plane, and the plane lists to one side on the runway about 2 degrees. It was first on one side, and now after adjusting the landing gear position slightly, it's listing onto the other side.

A266B1EEBA9A496C181B102660CE579B284F42DB

1A3621F818616F66C14C8AD7E0273D6BEB7357B1

7A420DF225C74E22AC16B60F3C06EBE9BD88679D

It looks like when the game starts, the plane's mass settles on the gear, but the gear doesn't "give" to the weight equally, one gives more than the other, causing it to list to one side. Is this something I'm doing wrong and any way to fix it?

Hello

Each time I toggle the adjustment for the gear in the SPH, all the game begins lagging very much.

When i toggle again it does not lag any more!

As mentioned, its a problem with the stock tweak sliders. I'm looking into workarounds but I don't think I can do an actual fix.

I also get this issue, but it's not only from this part, from other mods parts as well, so maybe it's something to do with the context menu itself.

- - - Updated - - -

These gears are great, but I just tried the large ones on my very heavy 175t plane, and the plane lists to one side on the runway about 2 degrees. It was first on one side, and now after adjusting the landing gear position slightly, it's listing onto the other side.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/29618087102167297/A266B1EEBA9A496C181B102660CE579B284F42DB/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/29618087102167151/1A3621F818616F66C14C8AD7E0273D6BEB7357B1/

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/29618087102166980/7A420DF225C74E22AC16B60F3C06EBE9BD88679D/

It looks like when the game starts, the plane's mass settles on the gear, but the gear doesn't "give" to the weight equally, one gives more than the other, causing it to list to one side. Is this something I'm doing wrong and any way to fix it?

Try increasing the spring constant, and reducing the damper. Damper is meant to counter suspension traversal in order to reduce oscillations in the spring. If you set it too high in comparison to the spring strength, it may never fully achieve an even equilibrium. To support heavier craft, you want to increase the spring constant first before increasing damping.

In fact, the game is lagging when i select the adjustment button for main gears, that means for 2 gears, left and right

When i select adjustment for the front gear, which is alone, there's no lagging.

Very strange!!

Thanks for the explanation, Bahamuto! With 100 spring and 0 or 1 damper, it's now only listing by about 0.5 degrees, which is a lot better than before :D

But is there a way to make them even more rigid?

I'd like to second the wish for landing legs in this vein. I'd really like to see some landing legs designed to be attached to the bottom of the craft, and fold up into the body in the same manner the landing gear does.

The BDAnimationModules.dll you have with the CKAN package doesn't match what is on Kerbal Stuff. I installed using CKAN and it did not work at all... I dropped in the DLL from the zip on Kerbalstuff and it works fine now.