[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

I tested this - doesn't work. Can't seem to get the wheels to align with the travel direction. If I mount the wheel wells sideways, the wheels also point sideways.

Im away from my computer for a while, but cant you tweak the part so that the tyre is at 90 degrees to the alignment of the wheel well?

I noticed that the (normal, untweaked) small version (single wheel) rotates on retraction so that the tyre is in the same plane as the fuselage surface (stored flat), if you can get the (extended) wheel to 90degrees then it should simulate the sort of gear you are looking for. Unless the tweakables are set up in a way which does not allow this, next time Im in KSP I'll try and remember to have a play.

Im away from my computer for a while, but cant you tweak the part so that the tyre is at 90 degrees to the alignment of the wheel well?

I noticed that the (normal, untweaked) small version (single wheel) rotates on retraction so that the tyre is in the same plane as the fuselage surface (stored flat), if you can get the (extended) wheel to 90degrees then it should simulate the sort of gear you are looking for. Unless the tweakables are set up in a way which does not allow this, next time Im in KSP I'll try and remember to have a play.

The wheels only tilt side to side, they do not rotate to allow for 90 deg folding. They will only fold front to back.

Edited by V8jester

Kerbalstuff has all the current and previous versions listed. Click "changelog" and look for the latest version with .90 compatibility.

Thanks for the reply, but I already tried KerbalStuff. They have a bunch of .25 versions and then skip ahead straight to 1.0.2.

I have a suggestion:

Laterally-deploying landing gears, with some screenies from War Thunder as reference:

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198072769598/screenshot/422566661690095127

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198072769598/screenshot/422566661690098976

If this isn't possible in the plugin's current state, then that is fine (I'm sure I could manage with the regular gears), but this would make for a fantastic addition.

I have a suggestion:

Laterally-deploying landing gears.

Yep, I support this. Current ALG can't change the wheel direction, so lateral-mounting them means your wheels are side-on. It's been suggested before, but yeah, it's a good one.

A quick question about this mod, I get some pretty heavy frame drops when I open the adjustment tab while in the SPH, but it goes away as soon as I close it. It makes it rather hard to adjust the gears because the sliders lag so much.

Is there a fix for this? Or is there one being planned?

A quick question about this mod, I get some pretty heavy frame drops when I open the adjustment tab while in the SPH, but it goes away as soon as I close it. It makes it rather hard to adjust the gears because the sliders lag so much.

Known issue, it's a bug with stock tweakables.

I always use these mounted on the sides and not having any trouble with wheel alignment for them to be proper treed down on the runway.

But do you mount them sideways? As in, the part aligned perpendicularly to the length axis (roll axis) of the plane? (I.e. along the pitch axis.) I have not been able to make that work at all.

So is anyone else getting intense frame drop when tweaking these legs?

A few posts up:

Known issue, it's a bug with stock tweakables.

A question: Are there any instructions that correlate the behavior of the tweakable values for spring and dampener? Right now, I'm just kind of looking at the sliders and guessing.

To be clear: I know what each slider does/is supposed to do, but I do not know how much messing with one does. I'd like to make deep-compressing gear with a strong dampener so it visibly settles and the gear stays put when I used oversized ramps.

• 3 weeks later...
It would be nice if the wheel can be rotated 90° to fold the wings sideway like the picture and the cover can be moved to other positions.

The Jet is ja Hawk T1

That would be a superb improvement for these already-great gears. Any angle/rotation for the gear bay, then the wheels can align forward from there. Retro-future had some great horizontal gear bays, but sadly way out of date.