[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

Just a note to the makers, your mod is an absolute must for me to go into career play again. Your wheels are boss in KSP. I will wait patiently and be thrilled when the time comes. Fantastic work guys. Really, your wheels changed the game for me. Thank you

2 hours ago, Harusee said:

Just a note to the makers, your mod is an absolute must for me to go into career play again. Your wheels are boss in KSP. I will wait patiently and be thrilled when the time comes. Fantastic work guys. Really, your wheels changed the game for me. Thank you

Yes, I really like both the models and interface used by this mod, but I'm pushing ahead with stock wheels until something is done. Even a small plane is unmanageable at present if you don't tweak the part settings just right. Hoping 1.1.3 comes out quickly and helps this once Squad are back at work.

Like all aircraft builders using this mod in KSP, i have to say it is a "must have" !

Now, I wouldn't build any SSTO or any plane without using it. It would be a "NoGo"!

Thank's again for this great work!!  Waiting with hope!!

15 minutes ago, shepworth said:

Please update to 1.1

Please do the modder the courtesy of reading the last few pages. This thread has been flooded with update requests (most of which have been removed), yet another one adds nothing to the conversation. 

19 minutes ago, shepworth said:

Please update to 1.1

It will be updated when it is updated. If you had read the last few pages you would know wheels are completely messed up in 1.1.x and until squad fixes this issue there is no point in updating this mod. Yes I know we are all itching for an update but there is nothing we can do but wait.

1.1 - 1.1.2 update must have been quite a chaos for some modders, as I can see some of the game's mechanics changed a lot, especially for all kinds of wheels and gears. Let's just take our time until Squad does some more adjustments or other solutions come out.

Using stock wheels is kind of educational really.  I'm a big fan of ALG but if you can make your planes work with the stock gear you will learn a lot about gear alignment and overengineering your brakes and such.  Can't be a bad thing.

38 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

Using stock wheels is kind of educational really.  I'm a big fan of ALG but if you can make your planes work with the stock gear you will learn a lot about gear alignment and overengineering your brakes and such.  Can't be a bad thing.

Right now I'm entirely unable to land a plane (on land) without something exploding. Being at the beginning of a career, there's only one option that has brakes at all, and only one that has steering. Alignment hasn't been an issue since I found absolute rotation.

None of those affects my landing at all, because the wheels are exploding before they do any more than touch the ground. I currently get back to the runway by landing in water and driving out at about 4 m/s. At 11 m/s, I get explosions when I touch the shore.

4 m/s * 3.3 (m to feet) = 13.2 f/ps * 60 = 792 f/pm * 60 = 47,520 f/ph / 5280 = 9 MPH or 14.4 KPH

11 m/s * 3.3 = 36.3 f/ps * 60 = 2178 f/pm * 60 = 130680 f/ph / 5280 = 24.75 MPH or 39.6 KPH

I dunno about explosions, but a few years back the USS SAN FRANCISCO hit an underwater mountain at a bit faster than 11 m/s and it's a bloody miracle only one person was killed. The unclassified pics make that very obvious (google them - it's pretty impressive/scary).

Spoiler

sub03.jpg

As to landing in general, yeah... not sure I've even landed so much as 'crashed with style'. 

Edited by Shadriss

21 hours ago, Tfin said:

Right now I'm entirely unable to land a plane (on land) without something exploding. Being at the beginning of a career, there's only one option that has brakes at all, and only one that has steering. Alignment hasn't been an issue since I found absolute rotation.

None of those affects my landing at all, because the wheels are exploding before they do any more than touch the ground. I currently get back to the runway by landing in water and driving out at about 4 m/s. At 11 m/s, I get explosions when I touch the shore.

There's a trick to it.  Just like on real aircraft, you're running into a problem overloading your main gear.  The stock gear aren't as strong as the ALG variants.  Double up (or triple up) your main gears to distribute the load more evenly.  And if you want to stop a plane that's heavy enough for that to be an issue, you *will need* parachutes to stop, even if you've got max friction and max braking on all of your wheels.  I suggest using the RealChute radial chutes - they're far better than stock chutes.   4 of those things set to max size, Kevlar material, and "triple chute" - will stop a 500t+ spaceplane from 200+kts EAS on the runway in a safe fashion, in conjunction with airbrakes and wheel brakes.

58 minutes ago, ss8913 said:

There's a trick to it.  Just like on real aircraft, you're running into a problem overloading your main gear.  The stock gear aren't as strong as the ALG variants.  Double up (or triple up) your main gears to distribute the load more evenly.  And if you want to stop a plane that's heavy enough for that to be an issue, you *will need* parachutes to stop, even if you've got max friction and max braking on all of your wheels.  I suggest using the RealChute radial chutes - they're far better than stock chutes.   4 of those things set to max size, Kevlar material, and "triple chute" - will stop a 500t+ spaceplane from 200+kts EAS on the runway in a safe fashion, in conjunction with airbrakes and wheel brakes.

Sounds more like he has a severe case of Call The Ball, without the gear needed to make that kind of landing.  I'd suggest practice landing in something slow with lots of wing, extra flap settings, and the ability to float an approach at 50 to 60 m/s.

And again, emphasis, lots of wing.  And I'm not sure if it's a FAR feature, or stock, but take those wing strength/mass tweakables and set them to 0.3.  A value 1 is... rather hefty.  Aircraft are by nature, light and fragile, and the default settings make them deceptively heavy and strong...  Which really doesn't help if you plow into the runway at 200 knots in high power brick.

12 hours ago, AdmiralTigerclaw said:

Sounds more like he has a severe case of Call The Ball, without the gear needed to make that kind of landing.  I'd suggest practice landing in something slow with lots of wing, extra flap settings, and the ability to float an approach at 50 to 60 m/s.

And again, emphasis, lots of wing.  And I'm not sure if it's a FAR feature, or stock, but take those wing strength/mass tweakables and set them to 0.3.  A value 1 is... rather hefty.  Aircraft are by nature, light and fragile, and the default settings make them deceptively heavy and strong...  Which really doesn't help if you plow into the runway at 200 knots in high power brick.

Most of my spaceplanes are in the "hundreds of tons" weight class and have a delta wing design requiring an over-the-fence speed of 200-250kts.  Doubling up the mains as Large or Extra Large stock landing gear is sufficient.  I am however increasing the spring and damper rates and making smooth landings at those speeds, but the gear withstands it.  Using FAR as well but not sure that makes a difference here.

If I don't do a delta wing design and use horizontal stabilizers behind the main wing (thus making flaps a thing that can happen) then I can get the stall speeds considerably lower.  Adds a bit of transonic wave drag doing it that way though (only an issue in FAR and real life though, if you're playing stock aero you don't have this effect).

39 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

Does the gear even load in 1.1? Does it works as wheels?

Last time I tried, they load, but they either function like fixed gear, or retract immediately and never extend.

I suggest a new rule - all questions of mod-update nature to be given the same default answer. No telling off necessary, bug as much as you like, but everyone, just give the default answer. Doesn't matter what it is as long as its relatively benign. I suggest something like:

"Ooh, 6 weeks, almost exactly to the day."

Even if it doesn't quite fit exactly: "Does anybody know if this will be updated to 1.1.1.1.1?" - "Ooh, 6 weeks, almost exactly to the day."

People who are capable of taking a hint will soon get it, the others will recieve mild frustration and confuzzlement as a mild punishment - and more importantly, its a psychological shrug-off for everybody else so less thought is wasted on it.

Possibly "Rule 2.3.f" might be a more informative choice for auto-reply.

8 hours ago, coyotepunk05 said:

don't want to bug you but are you updating this to KSP 1.1 it's one of my favorite mods

Please do the modder the courtesy of reading the last few pages. This thread is flooded with update requests, yet another one adds nothing to the conversation. It will be ready when it's ready.

Okay, firstly, mods get updated when they get updated. 

Secondly, if a post is a problem, please just report it instead of cluttering up the thread with angry replies to it. 

Thirdly, if you disagree with something a moderator says, send the moderator a PM about it. Arguing the point in the thread, again, creates clutter for others to have to click past. 

So some posts have been trimmed from this thread. Please keep it on-topic. 

28 minutes ago, Nucluer said:

What happened to the wheels in 1.1?

The short answer is that the wheel setup changed completely and no wheels from previous versions of KSP will work.