[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

The slightly longer answer is that in 1.1, SQUAD shifted from one version of UNITY to the newest version. Part of that meant rewriting all of the code (or at least a good portion of it) pertaining to wheels. They're kinda still working on getting it all working again as it did before, and as a result, mods like this are in limbo while SQUAD gets it all set up.

I just spend half an hour downloading mods to set up 1.1.2 only to find out that the (stock) wheels are unusable, at least with my previous designs. I pefectly understand why this is on hold, the 1.1.2 wheels were so bad I deleted the game altogether and will wait for a new patch.

4 hours ago, theend3r said:

I just spend half an hour downloading mods to set up 1.1.2 only to find out that the (stock) wheels are unusable, at least with my previous designs. I pefectly understand why this is on hold, the 1.1.2 wheels were so bad I deleted the game altogether and will wait for a new patch.

Its really only the little ones (that are fixed and don't deploy) that are unuseable, and IMO they're worthless even when functioning perfectly anyway. The deployable gear work (98% of the time) and are more useful in every area. Even in career mode unless you're insisting on planes only or something you're better off waiting to design anything needing wheels until you get the deployable ones. I'd just use rockets to hop to any particular biome you need to get to on Kerbin.

1 minute ago, G'th said:

Its really only the little ones (that are fixed and don't deploy) that are unuseable, and IMO they're worthless even when functioning perfectly anyway. The deployable gear work (98% of the time) and are more useful in every area. Even in career mode unless you're insisting on planes only or something you're better off waiting to design anything needing wheels until you get the deployable ones. I'd just use rockets to hop to any particular biome you need to get to on Kerbin.

My experience has been the deployable gear don't suffer the wobble problem, but they still don't drive straight, so you have to build over-winged planes capable of taking off at speeds under 40m/s or you will be in the grass next to the runway exploding.

5 minutes ago, Alshain said:

My experience has been the deployable gear don't suffer the wobble problem, but they still don't drive straight, so you have to build over-winged planes capable of taking off at speeds under 40m/s or you will be in the grass next to the runway exploding.

Use the following thread and tweak the gear.  Read the linked post, and the OP.  It should at least make things passable... provided you're not trying to drift race with aircraft.

I haven't had any issues with planes not driving straight unless I was loading too much weight on the wheels (To clarify, I was able to fly a 120ton spaceplane straight down the runway using one frontward medium wheel and 4 extra heavy wheels attached directly to the wings, so its not like you need that many wheels to counter the weight, but without an established weight limits for the wheels it can't hurt to overengineer a bit). Something to also watch out for is wheel placement. Too close to the COM marker, and the weight won't distribute evenly and any minor roll your plane gets (either from a bump or even user input) will actually cause your plane to tip (and in turn your attempts to correct it will exacerbate the problem until you clip a wing and go boom). Too far away, and the weight isn't supported at all and your wings will flex, causing your plane to not want to ride straight as your wheels will come off the surface.

Course, I also follow a real life procedure of toggling off nose wheel steering (and disabling steering on rear wheels altogether) after ~25m/s. Real planes do this precisely because using wheels to steer after a certain speed gives you way too much input when just your rudder controls (provided your rudder surfaces are adequate for your design) will suffice to keep you running straight down the runway. Rudder input becomes useful on a plane at takeoff when you hit anywhere from 50-65% of your takeoff speed, so use that to gauge when to toggle off your nose wheel steering. You of course could also just eyeball when you need to toggle it, when your plane suddenly starts veering off left or right at the slightest input.

Given the wheels being funny as it is, its highly recommended to start with this practice and see how you fare with it.

What Admiral suggests is also a good idea, though it will likely hurt your ability to taxi your plane. (though there again, taxiing isn't a thing in KSP unless you want it to be, so yeah)

5 minutes ago, G'th said:

Course, I also follow a real life procedure of toggling off nose wheel steering (and disabling steering on rear wheels altogether) after ~25m/s.

1.0.5 did this for you, 1.1 does not.

Just now, G'th said:

If it was automatic before now I never noticed it. And even so, its not a bad thing if its no longer automatic. 

In my case however, yaw and steering are not on the same controls like they are with default keyboard controls.

I just realized we are still in the ALG thread, we really ought to take stock landing gear discussion elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Chainbullet said:

When I try to use this the only thing that shows up is the alignment guide. Am I doing something wrong? What do I do to edit?

You remove the mod because it's not up to date and won't work with the version of KSP you likely have.

KSP mods are kind of staggered in version numbers at the moment.  This one is unlikely to come up to date until later as Squad still needs to get their heads wrapped 'round wheels.  Which means they won't be fixed until the next patch or later.

Look for mods that are up to date with KSP (as of this post) 1.1.2.   Usually, modders lead their titles with the KSP versions and some even put dates of their latest update.  Your biggest concern is to ensure that what you're grabbing will be compatible.

There's a reason why the moderators made the "Don't ask modders for updates" rule, and it's the fact that the people who ask for updates sound kinda like this:

Spoiler

Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? Are we there yet? 

Updates to this mod and other KSP mods (and mods for other PC games, for that matter) will be ready when they are ready. Asking for updates is counter-productive at best.

On 5/23/2016 at 3:17 AM, Virtualgenius said:

There is always someone who is going to ask whether there is a rule or not 

There is always someone who is going to ask, whether the answer is the first line of the first post or the entirety of the last post.

But how come other mods with wheels have updated? Mean no pressure. I am not asking this to try to speed up the update. Please don't get me wrong.

But out of curiosity. I know that Karibou, Ratpack and the new Malemute are from Roverdude and even Firespiter is maintained by Roverdude and Roverdude is Squad now. But there is still Angel-125's Pathfinder, keptin's KAX... all updated to 1.1.2.

How they managed? Are Adjustable Landing Gear wheels much different ? Is there other problems ? Can't people from those other mods help?

Again. I mean no pressure to anyone to update faster. Please don't ban me. But I read some pages back. Find a lot of "1.1 changed wheels behaviour and that is why ALG is not working/updated yet" but that don't explain why other managed. One would assume no mods with wheels would be able to update.

Lastly but perhaps mostly important. Thank the mod. Those are the best wheels in KSP IMO.

@ZeroA4 The author has indicated that the mod wouldn't be updated until Squad is finished with wheel fixes, I think the idea is to avoid having to update them for the currrent version and then having to update them again after fixes are applied.

These parts are a bit more complex than the typical wheel parts, given their procedural nature. I think it's understandable that they require a bit more work than most wheel parts.

36 minutes ago, Red Iron Crown said:

@ZeroA4 The author has indicated that the mod wouldn't be updated until Squad is finished with wheel fixes, I think the idea is to avoid having to update them for the currrent version and then having to update them again after fixes are applied.

These parts are a bit more complex than the typical wheel parts, given their procedural nature. I think it's understandable that they require a bit more work than most wheel parts.

Thanks for the fast reply. It makes sense. I should have guessed.

guys! i got a build for 1.1.2 for all of you guys. :)

Main Download : link (not working as intended) fixing it...

Sourcery : link

Enjoy!

@BahamutoD if you want me to take it down. just tell me.

EDIT: after a look around.. i cannot find a solution to the wheels sinking into the ground. baha could use this as a base though.

EDIT 2 : after some after thought.. someone will need to use unity to update the wheel colliders.

Edited by Joshwoo69

21 minutes ago, Joshwoo69 said:

guys! i got a build for 1.1.2 for all of you guys. :)

Main Download : link (not working as intended) fixing it...

Sourcery : link

Enjoy!

@BahamutoD if you want me to take it down. just tell me.

Gave it a play everything seems to work ok, the gui works nicely, the wheels deploy etc, only 1 problem, my plane's wheels sink into the ground causing my belly to be on the tarmac, retracting then deploying them again causes biiiig bada boom. 

Edited by stali79

Just now, stali79 said:

Gave it a play everything seems to work ok, the gui works nicely, the wheels deploy etc, only 1 problem, my plane's wheels sinki into the ground, retracting then deploying them again causes biiiig bada boom. 

yeah thats the problem :P

How I wish this could be updated! The stock landing gear are crap: Both in design and functionality. I am thinking about only landing on water for now since 90% of the time landing on the runway is not reliable... Just saying I miss this awesome mod.