[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

Can you please add yaw trim option? This way we could make gears that retract diagonally or sideways, some vehicles really need them.

What do you mean yaw trim...

Wait...

Oh, I get it now. Heh. Yeah, that'd be awesome. Spitfire or P-51 gear, yeah?

What do you mean yaw trim...

Wait...

Oh, I get it now. Heh. Yeah, that'd be awesome. Spitfire or P-51 gear, yeah?

Exactly. I mean steering trim. We really need it. I often have to select between good looking landing gear well alighment and wheel alighment.

Also, it woul require only code changes, specifically the steering portion of it. Not wure how would that play with firespitter tho...

It can also be requested from Firespitter devs I guess. Maybe I should learn compiling for KSP?

I would really enjoy steering trim... that would make my life so much easier, haha.

Okay don't know if this mod is even attended to anymore, or if this is the place to post bugs, but I appear to be having an issue with landing gear either not braking evenly, or not holding up under load. Using two light landing gear in the rear and one medium at 0.8 size in the front on a 13t craft, I get a distinctive directional influence to the right. It's strong enough to put me into a flat spin on the runway, which causes some spectacular drifting acrobatics, but is ultimately lethal.

I would really enjoy steering trim... that would make my life so much easier, haha.

Okay don't know if this mod is even attended to anymore, or if this is the place to post bugs, but I appear to be having an issue with landing gear either not braking evenly, or not holding up under load. Using two light landing gear in the rear and one medium at 0.8 size in the front on a 13t craft, I get a distinctive directional influence to the right. It's strong enough to put me into a flat spin on the runway, which causes some spectacular drifting acrobatics, but is ultimately lethal.

Maybe provide a pic of the craft. There are known stock bugs that can cause this. Like asymmetric joint flex of mirrored parts. Also improperly aligned wheels can cause this as well. A pic may help diagnose the problem.

The wheels are plenty strong and they'll run in a straight line for sure. The big thing that will affect them is flex of your ship. Struts are your best friend. For example here is my Spaceship 2 using two small adjustable gear on the noses. And two up scaled medium gear for the main / tail gear on a 50t plane. As you can see it will take off in a straight line (it brakes straight as well) But you need to eliminate all the flex you can. I used around 12 B9 invisible struts to make this work.

Alright, so all of the wheels are attached to the same fuselage section, so frame warping should not be an issue here...

Javascript is disabled. View full album

I have been trying to adjust spring tension and damping, but have really achieved the same result each time: when braking, it tends to start bouncing left and right, eventually going far enough to prove catastrophic.

Alright, so all of the wheels are attached to the same fuselage section, so frame warping should not be an issue here...

http://imgur.com/a/6jG3f

I have been trying to adjust spring tension and damping, but have really achieved the same result each time: when braking, it tends to start bouncing left and right, eventually going far enough to prove catastrophic.

One issue I can see right away is the wheels are very close together. Think of a dragster, long wheelbase to stabilize direction of travel at high speeds. Try moving the nose gear farther forward. Also if you can I would shorten them as well. That will further help stabilize the plane on take off.

Any idea what it'd take to bring this mod to work with Realism Overhaul and Realistic Progression Zero? Landing gear being one of those things that we had very early on in Earth's history, certainly well before an RP-0 game starts.

Figured out what the issue is. If the braking torque on the light landing gear is anything about the default 55, they will start to bounce.

I discovered a different bug in all of this testing, though: landing gear, when placed "backwards", which have steering enabled will have their steering reversed when reverted to launch.

Might have already been covered...but is there any possibility of future versions having gear that fold horizontally, similar to how gear work on airliners, small jets, and some military aircraft. Have them able to fold into the wing perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft?

Might have already been covered...but is there any possibility of future versions having gear that fold horizontally, similar to how gear work on airliners, small jets, and some military aircraft. Have them able to fold into the wing perpendicular to the longitudinal axis of the aircraft?

This style of gear folding (folding laterally inwards or outwards, rotating gear legs along the roll axis of the aircraft) was common circa WWII, I know, for smaller aircraft. The mechanism is simpler as you don't need to fold the wheels to fit them in a narrow wing - just folding the gear leg up rotates the wheel horizontal. This allowed many craft to have far wider gear placements that they otherwise would have.

WE5M7524LandingGear.jpg

This style of gear folding (folding laterally inwards or outwards, rotating gear legs along the roll axis of the aircraft) was common circa WWII, I know, for smaller aircraft. The mechanism is simpler as you don't need to fold the wheels to fit them in a narrow wing - just folding the gear leg up rotates the wheel horizontal. This allowed many craft to have far wider gear placements that they otherwise would have.

Can't you do this by rotating the wheels 90 degrees in the tweakables?

Haven't tried that, but it might work. (I'm at work, far from my KSP install. <back-of-hand-on-forehead> Woe...) Still, even if that works, it'd be nice to have the weight/cost savings of a far simpler mechanism, and the early tech node that it would fit. As well, I suspect that wheels might stow vertically, rather than horizontally, losing the size advantage wrt. wing mounting them.

Hmm. I'm reminded of some other gear mechanisms I've seen, such as on the Grumman A-6 Intruder. It, too, stows its wheels horizontally, but it does so via an intricate mechanism that rotates the wheels as the gear retracts forwards into the main hull, above the engines - this can somewhat be seen in this image:

Title.jpg

I love the Intruder. It's such a gloriously engineered piece of kit.

Hey guys, I just got this mod (bahamuto adjustable landing gear) and I was hoping for a workaround if this has to do with version compatibility (I have 1.0.4). When I right click the landing gear, I only have a couple buttons including the angle indicator. Any suggestions as to how to access all the other adjustment functions would be appreciated.

I tested this - doesn't work. Can't seem to get the wheels to align with the travel direction. If I mount the wheel wells sideways, the wheels also point sideways.

You need all Baha's plugins, there is one more, not included in download here.

Thanks very much, I will try that.

EDIT: I figured out what my problem was. I think I simply had accidentally installed an older BahaSP folder; so I downloaded what I thought was the newest one and replaced the one I had, and now it works :). Great work Bahamuto. I don't know what kind of a crazy genius programmer you are, but your mod is the most fun I've had gaming or exercising my engineering interests in a long time.

Edited by MunGazer

No, you don't need any other plugin than what's included. You just need to make sure you have the latest version, which is the one that's included. Other mods of mine may still have older versions because I haven't updated them.