[1.0.5] Adjustable Landing Gear v1.2.0 (mass/cost scaling, tech nodes, drag) - May 30

BahamutoD

I just now made a forum account to say thank you for this mod. I've been hoping for some kind of adjustable landing gear ever since I started playing, and this is exactly what I needed.

So again, many thanks.

Idea: adjustable landing skids. They'd be lighter, cheaper but not virtually useless for surface movement (taxing, etc.) Several spacecraft had skids for simplicity reasons: X-15, DreamChaser, concepts for a land-landing Gemini, etc.

This is just awesome. It's one of those mods that should be implemented in the stock KSP in the near future...

I love it when people say things like this because it goes to show how low of standards some people have. So tell me, why exactly should this mod be included? Does it fix the problems with the wheel colliders? It's telling when you can turn a wheel to the left and your plane doesn't move, and yet they can all be facing straight forwards and your back end can slip and slide across the runway. Last I checked, Firespitter doesn't fix that. These wheels are nice, I'm glad they exist, but I'd rather Squad fix wheels being able to slip, slide and bend. Besides, these wheels only change their angle, they can still be placed such that they do not point straight ahead. They are the best we can hope for in a bad situation, they are still far from ideal.

Thank you so much Paolo. Modders are truly the stars of this game. Squad should have done this long ago, but they didn't. You came along and saved us from the trouble of misaligned wheels and planes veering off the runway. Again, thank you.

... Really?

Far from ideal, but on right path to become one. It is just first release of mod, with some feedback from people who use this mod it will be a lot better. And some of fixes could be only possible when squad does their part, it is not up to modders to fix all critical bugs for game that is still heavy in development.

Anyway, thanks for making this, and some feedback/feature request if it is possible to make.

Lowest possible leg height should be smaller, like those from short B9 landing gears. There is situations on complex designs that require that, when ladders can't reach ground, or you just put some landing gears on back, just to protect tail from breaking on too high pitch when you take off from runway. Here is comparison between those two types of landing gears from B9 and shortest leg from this mod.

Another thing that could be nice is to make adjustable landing gear height possible in flight. Well, not actualy in flight, it have more purpose on runway, but you know what I mean.

Why I need this is best explained in another galery that shows my making of hidraulic landing gears with IR parts. If it is possible to make such thing it will be more simple to use it trough action groups instead of IR GUI.

And lastly, there is need for even larger landing gear. That could have 8 wheels on one landing gear leg, similar to 4 x double wheel landing gear next to each other. This one should be able to distribute plane weight more easy then existing gears.

Also there could be some difference between single wheeled, double wheeled and that heavy one that is still WIP in terms of crashing resistance and temperature tolerance.

Cheers, and keep the good work.

Edited by kcs123

@TheWattGaming - Do you have latest Firespitter dll ? Similar thing hapened to me with other mods, but I didn't have problems with this one.

Also a lot of mods also includes Firespitter plugin that could overwrite latest with older buged version of plugin. Try to reinstall just Firespitter plugin over your other already installed mods.

I hope that this helps.

This is a great idea! these will be perfect for Jeb's Klockheed K-104 Starfighter! (dude, think about it, an aircraft that is just a gigantic jet engine with just enough wings/control surfaces to keep it (barely) controllable? that has jeb written all over it!

Ok, quick question.....

Is anyone else having their landing gear drop through the runway at ksc?????

Or, am I just that lucky..????

Ok, have tested on bunch of different runways, and I am falling through all of them....

Boy, any ideas out there??????

Edited by drtedastro

Ok, have tested on bunch of different runways, and I am falling through all of them....

If you have a bunch of different runways, then you must have Kerbinside or whatever. So perhaps this mod doesn't work with Kerbinside. Try it without Kerbinside and see what happens.

Just tried it on new clean installation. Fell right through...

only mod's were BahaSP and MechJeb....

ksp 25.0 32 bin win version

on Win7 64 machine os....

tried in normal DirectX and OpenGL modes....

It is as if the wheel mesh does not see runway at all....

Edit: Thanks for the reply.....