Contract Science Remover

DMagic

Ever wish contracts didn't give out any science? Anyone? Well, someone did, so this plugin removes all science from newly offered contracts.

Note that it doesn't affect existing contracts and it doesn't affect additional rewards from strategies.

Download from CurseForge

Alternate download from MediaFire

See, no science. :D

uUMKo06.png

License is BSD.

Source is included in the download (as a .txt file).

Edited by DMagic
license/source

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry, but why would I want this? (Just asking, don't be mad at me :()

One of those things where some people want science in contracts and others only want science to come from using actual Science parts. Its a choice thing.

The biggest issue is of course the new strategies that makes science parts useless. Not sure this fixes it since its a direct conversion of funds to science that is the issue.

Dmagic does this kill all science or just the science offered in parameter? What about the ones for contract completion only?

Edited by malkuth

You don't, apparently. If fairly self-explanatory.

One of those things where some people want science in contracts and others only want science to come from using actual Science parts. Its a choice thing.

The biggest issue is of course the new strategies that makes science parts useless. Not sure this fixes it since its a direct conversion of funds to science that is the issue.

Dmagic does this kill all science or just the science offered in parameter? What about the ones for contract completion only?

It doesn't affect strategy science returns, only those returned by the contract and its parameters.

There is a fair amount of room to make this more configurable, reducing science by a percentage, including or not including strategies, removing parameter science return but not overall contract return, etc... but since I don't imagine many people using this I'll leave that up to someone else to do.

If anyone wants to submit pull requests for such features I would be more than happy to add them.

Edit: I should also note that, while I don't intend on expanding this, I'm half-way considering adding a much more robust contract settings manager to [thread=91034]Contracts Window +[/thread]. Something that would incorporate this, along with options to edit each individual contract type: number of each type offered, rewards for each type, etc... I have an idea in my head of how to accomplish most of this, but I haven't actually done anything about it.

Edited by DMagic

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks. I stumbled on this thread but was just thinking a mod like this would be great.

I've run into a weird situation in my .90 campaign. I'm need about 3 million credits to upgrade my Research Center before I can research anything that requires 500 Science. Most of the contract available that give big $100k - $300k profit also give 100-150 science.

By the time I've got the money I'll have researched all the 300 cost science things and have a huge surplus of science to instantaneously finish a good chunk of the tech tree. Plus I've have only used a Science Jr or Goo a handful of times and only scanned two biomes on Mun and one on Minmus.

I've stopped actively doing science at all at this point because of the contract rewards.

Just doesn't feel right.

By the time I've got the money I'll have researched all the 300 cost science things and have a huge surplus of science to instantaneously finish a good chunk of the tech tree. Plus I've have only used a Science Jr or Goo a handful of times and only scanned two biomes on Mun and one on Minmus.

I've stopped actively doing science at all at this point because of the contract rewards.

Just doesn't feel right.

I know what you mean. In my current (first and only so far) career (on flat out normal mode) I have actually started FORGETTING to do science. I took a base up to Minmus to complete a contract. This was to be my VERY FIRST LANDING on the minty green ball.

I took it there, got it all set up, came home, and only then remembered that not only did I not bring one science instrument with me, I also didn't take one single crew or eva report.

I still have more science than I can spend, and am still about a million dollars from being able to upgrade the R&D building.

Yeah, I'm going to have to use this, and probably start a new save. The whole reason I was excited about the introduction of the difficulty menu was that I'd finally have to leave the Kerbin system to get significant science, but now the amount of science in contracts is just insane, and you can't turn it off! It would be fine if they capped it at 10 or 15 per contract, then it would probably be okay while using 60% science from the menu, but a few hundred per contract just for temperature readings on the Mun is crazy. Thanks for a great mod!

• 2 weeks later...

Great mod, such a small change but a great one. There is one point I wanted to highlight that the administration bonus' also seem out of line and easy to exploit. I had a simple mission of launching a rocket part into a sub-trajectory orbit, this netted me with 317 science for a low cost of -9,597. Screenshot will be included but personally gaining 317 science for 10,000 funds seems way out of line.

I will be de-activating this campaign as it kinda defeats the point of using this mod, but just thought I would highlight the issue as maybe a second mod idea to complement this one.

http://postimg.org/image/iub857hxr/

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.