What part modelling software are you using?

Lol. Found out that Sculptris, which bases itself off triangles, gave a way to high poly count. I tried a test, checked the debug log and failed. Reduced the entire surface multiple times and then tried, 21000 polys was still too many... At that point, I surrendered.

I don't know when I'll be able to get around to it, but at some point I would like to make a tutorial for KSP part creation from start-to-finish in Milkshape.

Please do. Even though I don't use Milkshape, being able to actually SEE the non-modelling steps (such as using the SDK) should help me better understand what else I need to do.

Lol. Found out that Sculptris, which bases itself off triangles, gave a way to high poly count. I tried a test, checked the debug log and failed. Reduced the entire surface multiple times and then tried, 21000 polys was still too many... At that point, I surrendered.

Why would you want to sculpt a rocket part, anyways? Sculpting is more of an organic rendering thing, and rockets usually aren't very organic.

As a student I get to use any of Autodesk's software free for 3 years (http://students.autodesk.com), the only limitation being that I can't sell any of my work. So I've been using Maya as I know the UI really well, and Headus UVLayout to do the UV mapping.

Why would you want to sculpt a rocket part, anyways? Sculpting is more of an organic rendering thing, and rockets usually aren't very organic.

Not exactly, Zbrush and other sculpting software can produce some very nice mechanical models using hard surface techniques, take a look at this missile for example:

But until normal maps are supported such software is way too polycount inefficient.

Not exactly, Zbrush and other sculpting software can produce some very nice mechanical models using hard surface techniques, take a look at this missile for example:

It looks like a table leg. Or a pepper grinder.

But until normal maps are supported such software is way too polycount inefficient.

How will supporting normal maps help reduce the ridiculous amount of polygons and nodes that sculpting software spits out?

It looks like a table leg. Or a pepper grinder.

How will supporting normal maps help reduce the ridiculous amount of polygons and nodes that sculpting software spits out?

Yeah it wasn't the best example, but you can see how the techniques used to create something like that and this:

5X5PU.jpg

Could be used to add detail to a rocket part.

Normal maps mean all the detail of a mesh is represented by a single image file, so you could just import a ~1500 poly KSP part into ZBrush, add millions of polygons of detail and save all that out as a normal map image so in-game the part is still ~1500 polys.

Normal maps mean all the detail of a mesh is represented by a single image file, so you could just import a ~1500 poly KSP part into ZBrush, add millions of polygons of detail and save all that out as a normal map image so in-game the part is still ~1500 polys.

Hmm, I didn't know it went down to that level of resolution. I thought it was just an interpolation between some manually-specified normals at each vertex (which, for some software, it is).

Sorry, late to the party.

About blender vs. Autodesk software, Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Autodesk software is more powerful, easier to use, to a point, and has a ton of support behind it. Blender allows you to quickly model something and even easily define how to cut the model for uvmapping. The interface is also quite elegant once you get used to it and the entire package is very light weight and you can install it on linux machines. If you want to adjust the number of verts on a cylinder, look to the left of the screen. there are some parameters that allow to control size and face count right after you add the mesh.

Also look at some videos and some of the stuff that people have done with blender before writing it off. Yes it can be confusing, but once it clicks, it'll be like Magic.

3ds max (basically)

Maya

Zbrush (basically)

Mudbox

Topogun (basically)

xNormal (basically)

Photoshop (basically of course)

Blender (beginning)

Silo (curiosity) (Nice program - small \ light \ fast \ easy )

Sculptris (for fun)

ps. good only those program that you know how to use

You aren't suggesting our members do anything illegal now Darrknox, are you? k:o

You aren't suggesting people who are total amateurs and will never do anything serious with this software actually fork over $1200 for a Photoshop and 3DS license, are you?

You aren't suggesting people who are total amateurs and will never do anything serious with this software actually fork over $1200 for a Photoshop and 3DS license, are you?

He's just ribbing, as long as it (ie discussions) stay off the forums you can do what you please.

• 1 month later...

I use Cinema 4D

I actually got a free version off a Mag (Lite version released for free ages ago :D). But I prefer Sketchup for surface tools (plugins for add lines/mesh to surface) and Blender for general modelling, as it\'s the only one with the proper UV and export features.

Truespace also went free to download on version 7 a while ago. Not checked if it uses Collada files yet.

http://www.caligari.com/downloads.html

i use Blender and have done so for at least 7 years now.

reason ?

because it is free and open source and have everything maya, 3dsmax, cinema 4d have and will continue to grow.

the weak spots in blender is probably the integrated render software...

but if you are using blender for modeling then it\'s the best...

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.