[WIP] Blue Origin BE-4 Engine

GusTurbo

After some research and some serious thinking, I've made some changes to the model and added some things. I've also taken the opportunity to unwrap it again, as my old UV map was a mess. So I'm also redoing the texture from scratch. Will show progress soon.

Now that I've changed the model, the gimbal animation should work properly and be relatively convincing. This blog post explains how an engine uses flexible fuel pipes to allow gimballing.

Here's an image showing the changes, with some helpful labels:

QW2rzkv.png

Edited by GusTurbo

• 2 weeks later...
Going off a model is a bit dangerous, as you are reinterpreting an interpretation.

Well, the BE-4 is an engine that exists and has been in development/testing for some years. Blue Origin's fact sheet also shows it with a metal engine bell: https://d1ljm9hc65qhyd.cloudfront.net/press-releases/2014-09-17/BE-4-Fact-Sheet.pdf

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I fixed the issues with the model that caused it to look silly while gimbaling, so I guess the answer would be yes.

Now this project is back in my incapable hands. I'll try to revisit it at some point.

Edited by GusTurbo

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
[quote name='Jedilucas']Well you might want to pick it up again because Blue Origin just used it to land the Blue Shepard back from space under its own thrust (SpaceX style).[/QUOTE]

That would be using the smaller, LH2 fueled BE-3 engine, not the methane fueled BE-4 that is still in development.

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

It's been abandoned. One issue was that when ULA announced the Vulcan, which will use the BE-4, the design changed, so it would require re-modeling. Someone else made a BE-4, but I don't remember who it was or if it was part of a larger mod pack. It's all good though. I enjoyed getting back into modeling after a long hiatus. I should probably have this thread closed.