Lucifer Air Launch Platform

Ravenchant

Note to self: apply [/sarcasm] at the end of replies when necessary

But really, names should be taken in a broader context than what people are familiar with. Lucifer does originally mean 'light bringer', 'morning star' or simply the Venus, and has been attached as a name (one of many) to Satan around the 4th century to refer to him (?) as he was before he was banished from Heaven. It is not an exclusive name

Here, it (probably) refers to the function of the spacecraft, which brings the payload (philosophising that into light is up to somebody else :wink:) to the sky

Note to self: apply [/sarcasm] at the end of replies when necessary

But really, names should be taken in a broader context than what people are familiar with. Lucifer does originally mean 'light bringer', 'morning star' or simply the Venus, and has been attached as a name (one of many) to Satan around the 4th century to refer to him (?) as he was before he was banished from Heaven. It is not an exclusive name

Here, it (probably) refers to the function of the spacecraft, which brings the payload (philosophising that into light is up to somebody else :wink:) to the sky

True, but I prefer to not use/be a part of anything related to Satan, just personal preference though.

True, but I prefer to not use/be a part of anything related to Satan, just personal preference though.

Did he not just tell you that he uses lucifer in the "light bringer" iteration of the word?

@Raven: are you looking for a vertical launcher for the shuttles or shuttle+carrier, CoM of the full package will be a PITA.

• 3 weeks later...

OP updated to v3!

This is probably the last update. I added the Karuna shuttle which can dock and carry around 3 tons of payload plus 2 Kerbals, making it a compromise between the manned and unmanned shuttles. It also has a bit more delta-v than the other two.

oGCpiRr.png

@Raven: are you looking for a vertical launcher for the shuttles or shuttle+carrier, CoM of the full package will be a PITA.

It is indeed a pain, that's why I gave up on it :D

OP updated to v3!

This is probably the last update. [...]

It is indeed a pain, that's why I gave up on it :D

I have recently looked at early Shuttle Phase A proposals to be the crew shuttles for my Von Braun Duna '69 mission (currently on assembly at 100km LKO, 1 and a quarter ships already there). So in other words, I will take a stab at it, since Lockheed's proposal is the one that caught my eye the most:

sts70lc.jpg

Rune. Wish me luck!

Edited by Rune

Ok, I have a tentative first draft in the SPH. I think I can handle the CoM shift by throttling down a single engine of the booster's cluster as I empty it... and with a lot of help from Vernors. We'll see how the test flight goes!

4qks1T9.png

Edit 15 minutes later: What do you know, the thing worked at first try. I had to fight her all the way to orbit, but it worked at first try and I did a 180 roll on launch because I was oriented wrong. Oh, and the throttling I talked about? It does that by itself by shutting down that engine early. Still a gazillion details I wanna work in, but in a couple of days it should be ready to release.

dIUAV3i.png

Edit 30 minutes later: You want to know the craziest thing? I had a HUGE staging error. All my balancing was presupposing I was using the orbiter's engines draining from the booster's tanks at liftoff for crossfeeding awesomeness. Well, check the pics, that doesn't happen, I have built a honest-to-Kod TSTO shuttle. And it still flies more or less straight. Vernors are awesome. :0.0:

kVPR945.png

Rune. Your orbiter looks much better, but this thing is supposed to be very flat. Which helps a great deal, incidentally, with CoM.

Edited by Rune

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.