Quinjet. VTOL, SSTO, cargo bay with ramp... it lacks cloaking, but that's about it.

Rune

So yeah, if you have seen the Avengers, or Agents of SHIELD, this might perhaps remind you of something. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words:

tuLbdiH.png

And that is a dramatic picture indeed. But why is it so squat? And does it work like the thing in the movies? Well, for that I have to show you the hardest thing of this build: the stock cargo bay with working ramp to offload and recover the included rover. Yup, it carries a rover. And up to six kerbal in pressurised compartments, and I only put two seats in the cargo bay, but you can of course increase that number, plenty of room there:

nB6jqD8.png

And yeah, it gets high, as in orbit high. So I guess with enough fuel depots, you could perfectly use this on Laythe. Efficient airbreathing jets as lift engines mean that Duna is off the table, but I'm working on that for another "slightly bigger" design. Suffice to say I have yet to find a way to move battle tanks around the system! But that one will probably end up using KAS to secure the payloads, so in the meantime, have fun deploying your scientists/troops at any point where they can breathe the air.

p7uMWbu.png

That should give you and idea of its capabilities, so let's talk user manual. The bay is perfectly workable (I have done rover contracts with this, for 100% recovery at the runway), but it is finicky. You should deploy both stages of the "ramp lowering mechanism" (AKA the landing legs) in sequence. If both engage at the same time, the ramp actually works as a misaligned kraken drive, so be careful with it! If the Quinjet starts floating, disengage the rear landing legs quickly and try again, it should work if you take your time and look up the action groups in the description. The good part is, when they disengage, the bay bounces back into a very clean dock with the locking docking port, so the RCS engine for pulling the ramp up is not really necessary.

Also, getting this to orbit is tight. Your rocket delta-v is kinda limited, and this isn't the most arihogging of designs, so you can't go much over 1,500m/s without switching to rocket power. And even though I tried to get both engines to flame out at the same time by having a thought-out intake placement, the small differential you can't get rid off is enough to screw with you due to the engines being placed so far apart, so let them switch automatically when they want to. You have ample T/W on rocket mode, too, but in airbreathing mode, it is nothing to write home about, just enough to climb too quickly and run out of air before getting to sufficient speed if you are not careful. And while I am talking about the ascent, a word of caution. Everything is completely misaligned! Not in a bad way, though, but you thrust 10º below centreline, and the main cockpit is angled down 15º. The end result is that, if you control from the cockpit, you are thrusting in space about 5º higher than the navball tells you. Which is kinda cool, since in low level flight that means you velocity vector likes to stay in the same place you are pointing at. Yup, the way I worked things out, when you think you are horizontal the engines are thrusting 5º upwards and the wings see a 15º angle of attack. Like real planes! (short off) However, when you are on VTOL flight, you have to keep an eye on that: unless you point yourself 15º below the horizon, the VTOL engines are thrusting slightly backwards, and you don't want to go backwards on a VTOL designed to actually work like a conventional plane.

And come to think about it, I almost forgot about that part! The VTOL system is a total aesthetic choice: rip it out, and this still works just fine, lifting off about halfway into the runway, at about 70m/s. Or you know, replace it with efficient rocket engines to create your own Duna-rated STOVL version.

IMGUR ALBUM:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/l4om29hmygp1g6u/SSTO+Mk+XLII+-+Quinjet.craft

Rune. Sci-fi enough for you guys? :cool:

Edited by Rune

Rune, very nice. I also watch that show and used Agent Garrett's transport (from the first season) as a template for making a fast transport plane for ferrying around those KSC executives from the Admin building, and recovering Kerbalnauts. I've also made a cargo bay version carrying science equipment, a military troop-carrier, and even a gunship version (AC-130 style) using BD's Armory mod. Whenever they come out with a redesigned Mk3 system, I'm gonna make "The Bus". :D

X-16FastTransportConceptDemonstrator_zps14073867.jpg

Edited by Raptor9
Better-looking X-16 using 0.90 editor gizmos

I'm glad you guys like it, and thanks to everyone for the rep! Not just the rep for this, but in general, and with a special shout to "Raven.", that was the lucky kerbal that got me... OVER ONE THOUSAND. Sounds ominously cool, so thanks again guys!

It also looks like the skyranger from XCOM.

A troop-carrying dropship is a dropship, right? :)

Rune, very nice. I also watch that show and used Agent Garrett's transport (from the first season) as a template for making a fast transport plane for ferrying around those KSC executives from the Admin building, and recovering Kerbalnauts. It's all completely stock with the exception of the engine mount servos from Magic Smoke Industries mod. The engines rotate 90deg forward and up like the S.H.I.E.L.D. C-17 giving my transport VTOL capability. I've also made a cargo bay version carrying science equipment, a military troop-carrier, and even a gunship version (AC-130 style) using BD's Armory mod. Whenever they come out with a redesigned Mk3 system, I'm gonna make "The Bus". :D

http://i1356.photobucket.com/albums/q737/raptor_9000/Placeholder%20Photos/screenshot83_zpsc00ef148.png

Looking nice yourself! And you know, I have found out with this, stock hinges secured by docking ports are totally doable. Perhaps you can make a swivel jet work? Mind you, it won't be easy, but I think Giggleplex already proved it can be done.

Rune. Now I rival Jeb! :0.0:

Impressive. Rune. You. Are. Becoming. Living. Legend. In. Fact.

actually you are a living legend. this post in this thread is just a testament to your legendness. :D great job!

Well, :blush:. Thanks!

This is cool Rune!

Could you sacrifice a little cargo space for more fuel?

Thanks! And yeah, I guess you could... but T/W on the VTOL engines at full throttle is something like 1.05, so it would become a STOVL vehicle then. Which would be perfectly fine if you have the room to take off. I'd sling the extra tank from the top of the cargo bay and run fuel lines to the central LFO tanks, and that should work just fine. In fact, the fuel at the tail is kind of a reserve already: it isn't necessary to reach orbit, and in fact since it unbalances the thing slightly it's better to spend it last so the lighter ship is easy to keep in check with the ample reaction wheel power.

Now about that cloaking.. where's a certain Fitz Kerman when you need him?... :P

Great dropship man. You just got me working on a new one!

I guess he got hit in the head hard during the last Munar EVA. ;)

Wow really nice.

Glad you like it! And if your KSP experience is about as long as your post count, I would be very interested in what you think of it after you have flown it. My greatest fear these days when I release a craft is that my experience piloting is making me think "hard" things are "easy" to do, and should pose no problem.

Rune. Also, I have to release something now to celebrate the rep thing, I guess. To the SPH!

Edited by Rune

My greatest fear these days when I release a craft is that my experience piloting is making me think "hard" things are "easy" to do, and should pose no problem.

I know exactly what you mean mate. Also, individual skill level aside, the mere fact of testing the craft so much makes it easier to fly.

But, you know what you're doing when it comes to these kinds of builds so I'm sure people will have fun practicing!

MJ

Nice looking craft rune gona try it when i'm home from my vacation.

how did you make the cargo ramp and bay door?

I'm not giving you any rep for this, there are other people how need it more (hey said looking in the mirrow and pointing at him self) :cool:

Well said with the rep... even though I think you ended up giving it to me anyway... the good thing about rep is you can't run out! But yeah, spread it around, I have more than I know what to do with. :)

As to the bay, I think I did it just the way you would have in the end: a couple of LV-1Rs act as hinge, the lock is a Jr. docking port, and I push down with two stages of landing gear, and up (which is really unneccesary because the door bounces) with a RCS engine. Tell me what you think about my implementation when you try it out!

This is really nice, ingenious use of parts collision and docking port

Actually the key is the LV-1Rs as hinge, as I learned from others. I tried to do this with Klaws, using them as the hinge, but I was having issues with part clipping, so I went another way I had heard of (by myself, I would have never guessed you can dock things when they are the same ship). Glad you like it too!

Well guys, I really went with the Quinjet as the template... but then again, I think the art guys at the Avengers had a lot of other concepts to draw on for inspiration themselves. The VTOL dropship is definitely a classic in the sci-fi genre, and I'm glad I built one that plays the part so well.

Rune. For a second there, I thought the guys talking about skyrangers were talking about the originals.

So yeah, if you have seen the Avengers, or Agents of SHIELD, this might perhaps remind you of something. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words:

http://i.imgur.com/tuLbdiH.png

And that is a dramatic picture indeed. But why is it so squat? And does it work like the thing in the movies? Well, for that I have to show you the hardest thing of this build: the stock cargo bay with working ramp to offload and recover the included rover. Yup, it carries a rover. And up to six kerbal in pressurised compartments, and I only put two seats in the cargo bay, but you can of course increase that number, plenty of room there:

http://i.imgur.com/nB6jqD8.png

And yeah, it gets high, as in orbit high. So I guess with enough fuel depots, you could perfectly use this on Laythe. Efficient airbreathing jets as lift engines mean that Duna is off the table, but I'm working on that for another "slightly bigger" design. Suffice to say I have yet to find a way to move battle tanks around the system! But that one will probably end up using KAS to secure the payloads, so in the meantime, have fun deploying your troops/scientists at any point where they can breathe the air.

http://i.imgur.com/p7uMWbu.png

That should give you and idea of its capabilities, so let's talk user manual. The bay is perfectly workable (I have done rover contracts with this, for 100% recovery at the runway), but it is finicky. You should deploy both stages of the "ramp lowering mechanism" (AKA the landing legs) in sequence. If both engage at the same time, the ramp actually works as a misaligned kraken drive, so be careful with it! If the Quinjet starts floating, disengage the rear landing legs quickly and try again, it should work if you take your time and look up the action groups in the description. The good part is, when they disengage, the bay bounces back into a very clean dock with the locking docking port, so the RCS engine for pulling the ramp up is not really necessary.

Also, getting this to orbit is tight. Your rocket delta-v is kinda limited, and it isn't the most arihogging of designs, so you can't go much over 1,500m/s without switching to rocket power. And even though I tried to get both engines to flame out at the same time by having a thought-out intake placement, the small differential you can't get rid off is enough to screw with you due to the engines being placed so far apart, so let them switch automatically when they want to. You have ample T/W on rocket mode, too, but in airbreathing mode, it is nothing to write home about, just enough to climb too quickly and run out of air before getting to sufficient speed. And while I am talking about the ascent, a word of caution. Everything is completely misaligned! Not in a bad way, though, but you thrust 10º below centreline, and the main cockpit is angled down 15º. The end result is that, if you control from the cockpit, you are thrusting in space about 5º higher than the navball tells you. Which is kinda cool, since in low level flight that means you velocity vector likes to stay in the same place you are pointing at in level-ish flight. Yup, the way I worked things out, when you think you are horizontal the engines are thrusting 5º upwards and the wings see a 15º angle of attack. Like real planes! (short off) However, when you are on VTOL flight, you have to keep an eye on that: unless you point yourself 15º below the horizon, the VTOL engines are thrusting slightly backwards, and you don't want to go backwards on a VTOL designed to actually work like a conventional plane.

And come to think about it, I almost forgot about that! The VTOL system is a total aesthetic choice: rip it out, and this still works just fine, lifting off about halfway into the runway, at about 70m/s. Or you know, replace it with efficient rocket engines to create your own Duna-rated STOVL version.

IMGUR ALBUM:

http://imgur.com/a/xzI2L

DOWNLOAD:

http://www./download/l4om29hmygp1g6u/SSTO+Mk+XLII+-+Quinjet.craft

Rune. Sci-fi enough for you guys? :cool:

Splendid, about time you made another Dropship. :cool:

Cupcake...

• 2 weeks later...
So yeah, if you have seen the Avengers, or Agents of SHIELD, this might perhaps remind you of something. Here, a picture is worth a thousand words

Rune, I'm not sure about the thousand words- that would almost double the length of your post. But I think that the pic definitely earned you a thousand rep. Here's to hyperbole!

Edit- You've got ~700 words. So more than double. So... Double is NOT hyperbole.

Edited by Dman979
Incorrect Facts

Rune, I'm not sure about the thousand words- that would almost double the length of your post. But I think that the pic definitely earned you a thousand rep. Here's to hyperbole!

Edit- You've got ~700 words. So more than double. So... Double is NOT hyperbole.

Thanks! And yeah, I talk waaay too much :blush:. But I'm glad you enjoyed it!

Rune. Plus, lots of typos now that I re-read it.

I got inspired by the Quinjet's cockpit angle making the IVA view seem more reasonable and wanted to try the cargo bay too. funny thing is, i put the doors on the wrong side. on the plus side i fit an atomic engine on the back

RSC aid says this is balanced full to empty forwards and up.. but the cargo bay doors/walls being wings makes for some odd flight lower in the atmosphere

congrats on another great creation rune and thanks for the inspiration.

http://i.imgur.com/Ap6qery.png

i tried the quinjet rune and the cargobay i'm sorry to say needs some improvement, its a bit wobbely.

rest of the craft is good.

of course no comment with out some tips.

you could start building the door form two side's

i made a example

blue side is just the lv-r1 and a beam and the red side is more done.

to give you a idea.

Bq44egZ.jpg

greetings reaper

i tried the quinjet rune and the cargobay i'm sorry to say needs some improvement, its a bit wobbely.

rest of the craft is good.

of course no comment with out some tips.

you could start building the door form two side's

i made a example

blue side is just the lv-r1 and a beam and the red side is more done.

to give you a idea.

http://i.imgur.com/Bq44egZ.jpg

greetings reaper

That is the greatest kind of comment there is, one where I learn stuff! :) I had never looked at it from this point... I guess the inertia from Klaw hinges (where the door has to remain a single ship once undocked) got me here. So this way there are a lot less part connections between the hinge and the pushing leg. Does that mean the single LV-1R and little leg pushing might give me the 60º of action I need? Try as I might, I couldn't make it work with less than two stages of legs pushing with a "monolithic" door. Oh, and does that mean yo have to get the legs to push in exactly the middle of the I-beam, or stuff will keep aligned because of it being a paralelogram? That last part is a bit confusing, but I mean the fact that there are two hinges instead of one.

Rune. Damn, explaining KSP mechanisms in a second language is hard.

I got inspired by the Quinjet's cockpit angle making the IVA view seem more reasonable and wanted to try the cargo bay too. funny thing is, i put the doors on the wrong side. on the plus side i fit an atomic engine on the back

RSC aid says this is balanced full to empty forwards and up.. but the cargo bay doors/walls being wings makes for some odd flight lower in the atmosphere

congrats on another great creation rune and thanks for the inspiration.

http://i.imgur.com/Ap6qery.png

That is really cool, and you can probably get rid of the flying weirdness by using the other kind of rectangular wings for the door. Whatever kind you are using now is seeing lift, so if you put the other kind on the same orientation, it'll think it is flying sideways and not generate lift. In the stock aerodynamic model, of course. Also, the IR hinge must make thing easier, but I doubt you can get the same kind of rigidity as with a docked payload bay... now that soulreaver has dissected mine, what about trying it again stock? I know I am making more bay doors this way to try the new information out...

Rune. Ok, between inspiring builds and learning, it's really hard to choose what kind of comment I like the most. So thanks to you both!

That is the greatest kind of comment there is, one where I learn stuff! :) I had never looked at it from this point... I guess the inertia from Klaw hinges (where the door has to remain a single ship once undocked) got me here. So this way there are a lot less part connections between the hinge and the pushing leg. Does that mean the single LV-1R and little leg pushing might give me the 60º of action I need? Try as I might, I couldn't make it work with less than two stages of legs pushing with a "monolithic" door. Oh, and does that mean yo have to get the legs to push in exactly the middle of the I-beam, or stuff will keep aligned because of it being a paralelogram? That last part is a bit confusing, but I mean the fact that there are two hinges instead of one.

Rune. Damn, explaining KSP mechanisms in a second language is hard.

i use two pare of landing legs in one stage.

but one needs to clip through the door to push and the second needs to clip after that.

its hard to explain

• 7 months later...

Finally, one that i can get. the one i saw last time was using LackLusterLabs, and that mod doesnt work for me. I love the series SHIELD btw. :D :D :D

- - - Updated - - -

I know how to make cloaking... theres one cloacked outside your house >:D muhahahaha

:P